Aussie Saved By Phuket's Tourist Assistance Centre

webfact

Aussie saved by Phuket's Tourist Assistance Centre
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1368531057_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- The Tourist Assistance Centre (TAC) at Phuket International Airport showed its value again yesterday when it reunited an Australian tourist and his wallet, after he left it in an airport limousine.

Driver Sope Phatee, centre, with the lucky tourist (right) and a friend.
The tourist and two friends arrived in the early evening and hired the limousine to take them to the Patong Merlin Hotel. After the taxi dropped them off, the tourist realised he had left his wallet, containing A$500, credit cards and his driving licence, in the car.

Back they went to the airport, where they contacted the TAC, who organised an officer to come from the Tha Chat Chai police station and helped interpret so that the tourist could file a loss report.

Meanwhile, the TAC contacted the limousine cooperative, whose staff looked through trip records and identified the driver of the limo.

By 9:40 the driver, Sope Phatee, 62, was back at the airport. He had found the wallet in his car and returned it intact.

The delighted tourist – whose name was not recorded by the TAC – said a big “Thank You” to the TAC staff, the police and Mr Sope.

In February the TAC helped a Russian tourist who had dropped his clutch bag containing US$15,000 and his passport at the airport. It was found by a minivan driver. He turned it over to the TAC who managed to track down the tourist and return his valuables to him.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/aussie-saved-by-phuket%E2%80%99s-tourist-assistance-centre-39374.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-15

"In February the TAC helped a Russian tourist who had dropped his clutch bag containing US$15,000 and his passport at the airport."

Surprised that he didn't get arrested for bringing more than $10,000 into the country without declaring it.

Unless he passed out generous reward and was "forgiven."

"The delighted tourist – whose name was not recorded by the TAC – said a big “Thank You” to the TAC staff, the police and Mr Sope."

A "Thank You" was all they got? I know the economy "Down Under" is getting bad, but.......

I once forgot my phone in the back of a Bangkok taxi. Realizing I forgot it minutes later I rushed upstairs and called my mobile from my land line. It rang off the hook. Called again a few minutes later the line was dead. I figured the taxi driver pulled the battery.

"In February the TAC helped a Russian tourist who had dropped his clutch bag containing US$15,000 and his passport at the airport."

Surprised that he didn't get arrested for bringing more than $10,000 into the country without declaring it.

Unless he passed out generous reward and was "forgiven."

He wouldn't get arrested for bringing more than $10,000 into the country without declaring it - the limit is $20K.

Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

He is the epitome of that fine sporting nation.

Maybe so, but the story itself is truly a breath of fresh air to me. It proves conclusively that all Thais are not tarred with the same dirty brush. My appreciation to those Thai involved for doing that. clap2.gif

Edited by illdietryin