I'm sure this has been covered lots of time but your help would be appreciated.

I'm presently in the UK and plan to go to Thailand with my girlfriend no later than August. When would a good time be to apply for a visa? Also my passport runs out next year, will i have to renew this now, or can i deal with it when in Thailand.

Many Thanks

Your passport needs to have at least 6 months validity from the day you enter Thailand.

You might want to get a new passport forst then apply for your visa then go to Thailand with a 10 years valid passport

Your PP expiry must be well after the expiry date of the visa you intend applying for, so unless it expires late next year, I'd get it renewed now, you will get some credit for the unexpired portion (6 months I think).

Visas from the consulates are quite fast, often less than a week door to door, or many (Hull) do a same day service for callers (at a premium). Remember that the visa validity starts on the day it is ISSUED not on the day you enter Thailand, so don't apply too early.

Credit for the unexpired portion of a UK passport can be up to nine months. See Why do I need a specified validity period remaining on my passport to travel to certain countries?. If you want to renew your passport in Thailand, see Passport Services.

How long will you be planning to stay in Thailand? If you hold a UK passport and plan to stay less than 30 days, then you may not need a visa. See Visas and Travel Documents, Tourist Visa Exemption.

If you require a visa then I would renew the passport before getting the visa. However, if you want to transfer an unexpired Thai visa to a new passport in Thailand, see also New Passport and Transfering A Visa.

Edited by vinny

Get your visa a month or so before you fly.

You can renew your PP in Bangkok, takes a week or so.

Naka.

I haven't checked the current figures, but when I renewed in BKK a couple of months ago the cost was considerably higher than the UK price.

I haven't checked the current figures, but when I renewed in BKK a couple of months ago the cost was considerably higher than the UK price.
You pay for the hardship allowance of the consular staff in Thailand :o

---------------

Maestro