Ubon Ratchathani News & Development

ubonrthai

The airport has metered taxis now.

http://guideubon.com/news/view.php?t=44&s_id=17&d_id=16

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

That is excellent news! I'd like to think it had something to do with the 45 mins I spent talking with the charming and beautiful TAT staff member at Ubon railway station last April, whilst waiting for a train to BKK. We chatted about this and that, the good points and not-so-good points for foreign visitors in Ubon, and she appeared very attentive to what I had to say. I rattled on quite a bit about the bad impression visitors to Ubon airport have, when they get off a plane and find the airport taxis are run by a mafia, and if one wants to get a meter taxi, it is necessary to walk 400 m with bags and shit up the road and out the gates. She tentatively agreed, but said it was out of TAT's hands, as it was the boss of the airport's little earner and nothing to do with them. But I persisted, surely your boss has occasional meetings with the Ubon governor, and if anyone can change this policy, then it's him. I suggested, respectively, she raise it with her boss as an issue that foreign visitors feel strongly about and if he has the chance, then raise it to the Ubon governor. A little light went on in her mind, or so I thought, rolleyes.gif and I'd love to think the wheels of bureaucracy started slowly turning after. However, not being that vain giggle.gif , I am sure it has been a bone of contention for Thai visitors as much if not more than foreign ones, and there have been numerous complaints coming from many sources (incl the taxi drivers themselves), and finally common sense was able to prevail in breaking the stranglehold of the previous mafia-run operation. So congrats to all parties who have managed to overcome the previous rip-off and get meter taxis access to the airport - plenty of space for them. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thank you for this great information. Ubon is truely developed in certain areas.

I expect we will pay a 50 baht surcharge at the airport. I hope the parking congestion eases with folks keeping their cars at home. The parking at the airport currently is all over the place.

I am informed that Ubon is the only city outside of Bangkok to have metered taxis. This being the case, we Ubonites must have only the third airport in Thailand after the two Bangkok airports to have metered taxis.

We should be very proud of this. Big international cities like Phuket and Chiang Mai can not even break the taxi-mafia strong hold.

Big Isaan cities such as Khon Kaen, Udorn and Korat don't have metered taxis or at least not to the airports.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Go go Ubon.

About the metered Taxis at the airport:

I was there around 11am this morning doing a delivery. I did not see a single taxi there ( not even outside at the front entrance / gate ).

I am at the airport several times per week. If I see metered Taxis, I will post it here to keep everyone updated.

I was there around 11am this morning doing a delivery. I did not see a single taxi there ( not even outside at the front entrance / gate ).

I am at the airport several times per week. If I see metered Taxis, I will post it here to keep everyone updated.

maybe they are only there when flights arrive?

maybe they are only there when flights arrive?

They may have a person there with a radio to call for taxis.

That is what they have set up at central and the bus station.

• Like 1

I tend to run to flights a bit late - 45 mins before. Have always seen taxis outside the gate then (meeting incoming turn-round flight).

They are radio-controlled, plentiful (unless in rain) and normally ordered by phone. Someone could post the phone number and tell us whether the call centre speaks English or not. I've had 0821444345 in my phone since inception, but dunno if this is still correct, nor have I ever called them myself.

I tend to run to flights a bit late - 45 mins before. Have always seen taxis outside the gate then (meeting incoming turn-round flight).

They are radio-controlled, plentiful (unless in rain) and normally ordered by phone. Someone could post the phone number and tell us whether the call centre speaks English or not. I've had 0821444345 in my phone since inception, but dunno if this is still correct, nor have I ever called them myself.

We use 045-265999 all the time. I let the wife do the talking. After making the call the driver will call back to confirm and give you their taxi number.

There will be a 20 baht service charge for the service.

U.S. VETERANS of FOREIGN WARS (VFW)

A post forming meeting will be held to organize and hopefully establish a VFW post for the Ubon region. There are currently 5 posts in Thailand, Bangkok, Pattaya, Korat, Udorn, Chiang Mai and 1 in Cambodia, Phnom Penh. The VFW is a veteran's service organization of veteran's helping veteran's, spouses and dependent children with VA claims and survivor benefits. Become a part of your community and come to the meeting. The meeting will be held at the Lai Thong Hotel, 50 Pichitransan Rd. in Ubon on Monday, March 17, 2014 at 10:00 am to 12:00. Meeting will be in the small meeting room to the left of the front desk. For more information contact Larry Edmonds @ 083 201 1062 or by < contact by forum personal messenger (PM)>

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed email address Not allowed by forum rules
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. VETERANS of FOREIGN WARS (VFW)

A post forming meeting will be held to organize and hopefully establish a VFW post for the Ubon region. There are currently 5 posts in Thailand, Bangkok, Pattaya, Korat, Udorn, Chiang Mai and 1 in Cambodia, Phnom Penh. The VFW is a veteran's service organization of veteran's helping veteran's, spouses and dependent children with VA claims and survivor benefits. Become a part of your community and come to the meeting. The meeting will be held at the Lai Thong Hotel, 50 Pichitransan Rd. in Ubon on Monday, March 17, 2014 at 10:00 am to 12:00. Meeting will be in the small meeting room to the left of the front desk. For more information contact Larry Edmonds @ 083 201 1062 or by < contact by forum personal messenger (PM)>

I wish to thank Peppers, Wrong Way, N' Joy, T&C Kitchen and the Lai Thong Hotel for their support in allowing me to display a poster in their establishment announcing this meeting. They will always be at the top of my list. Thank you.

I think you forgot a place Larry =)

Glad to see you got your posters up in so many places. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we're happy to help get the word out. It was great having you and the whole crew over on Friday.

~Brent

I think you forgot a place Larry =)

Glad to see you got your posters up in so many places. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we're happy to help get the word out. It was great having you and the whole crew over on Friday.

~Brent

Your are so right Brent. I apologize and will have to make it up to you somehow. The place I forgot was the Outside Inn, run by Brent, his lovely wife and the crew that makes the evenings enjoyable. If you want some good food, stop by and have a bite.

• Like 1

Thank you for this great information. Ubon is truely developed in certain areas.

I expect we will pay a 50 baht surcharge at the airport. I hope the parking congestion eases with folks keeping their cars at home. The parking at the airport currently is all over the place.

I am informed that Ubon is the only city outside of Bangkok to have metered taxis. This being the case, we Ubonites must have only the third airport in Thailand after the two Bangkok airports to have metered taxis.

We should be very proud of this. Big international cities like Phuket and Chiang Mai can not even break the taxi-mafia strong hold.

Big Isaan cities such as Khon Kaen, Udorn and Korat don't have metered taxis or at least not to the airports.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Go go Ubon.

Phuket airport has metered taxi's. As soon as you get outside turn right and there is a rank at the end of the building. Usually between 50-100 baht cheaper to Patong. Usually give that as tip. Use them because l despise the Tuk Tuk mafia their.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The first meeting to form a U.S. Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post here in the Ubon (Issan region) was held today. Had 9 people in attendance which is ok for the first meeting. Hopefully the numbers will increase as the months go by. Currently the meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of each month. The next meeting will be the 21st of April, 10:00 - 12:00 at the Lai Thong Hotel lobby meeting room.

• 1 month later...