Ubon Ratchathani News & Development

ubonrthai

Is the cinema still going there bergen or has it closed down?

Yes it is. So is bowling, snooker, hotel, etc. Took my son to the water park yesterday and probably won't go back. It is the most dangerous pool I've ever been to. Obviously designed and built by someone who doesn't know anything about pools. Tiny kids section with little slide is right next to the deep end and nothing to separate but a ledge barely on surface of water. A parent with their nose in their phone will lose a kid one of these days. Most of the pool is built with flat, slippery tile. Sharp edges are everywhere. I saw 2 kids bleeding in the hour we were there. The big slides and the frame holding them up look flimsy and shake back and forth when multiple kids go down at once. There was actually a "lifeguard" but he wasn't around most of the time and out front talking to girls. The water was dirtier than any other pool in Ubon and we've hit them all.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A leap from 9 flights each way (to DM with 2 more to Swampy) to 16 at one fell swoop? Seems a bit extreme! Good to see a mid morning flight to DM though. No more early starts from Kantaralak and fighting rush hour traffic!

• Like 1

Phibun Immigration told me they think they will make the move to Sirindhorn in 2 months. I don't think they actually know when though.

Does anybody have any info on where in Sirindhorn it is going to be.

Phibun Immigration told me they think they will make the move to Sirindhorn in 2 months. I don't think they actually know when though.

I was at Phibun yesterday and they told me that they would be moved by end of July. Decided to take a look at the new place for future reference. It is 26.7 km from the current office along Route 217 heading east towards Sirindhorn. It is on the left hand side a couple of km before you get to the entrance of the dam. Stands back from the main road but you can't miss it.

post-135850-0-69291100-1432799723_thumb.

• Like 2

The I Condo people told me that there will be 189 rooms. Most of the 1 bedroom rooms (33.65-33.26m2) have been sold or booked. These are about 1,200,000 baht. Some of the larger two bedroom rooms (52.91 m2) are still available. These rooms are more attractive with views looking east across Huai Muang. They are asking 2,040,000 baht for these rooms. All rooms are fully furnished.

Huai Muang is becoming more atrractive. Two permanent groundsmen cut the grass and water the trees. A big job as it involves cutting the football fields at the northern end. Over the weekend more than 200 new trees have been planted. One will not see sailing boats on the lake. Instead one sees fishermen. If the council could clean up the water quality the whole area would improve. The lake receives waste drainage from all sides and the fishermen dump dead fish and shell fish on the banks and in the water.

I was at Phibun yesterday and they told me that they would be moved by end of July. Decided to take a look at the new place for future reference. It is 26.7 km from the current office along Route 217 heading east towards Sirindhorn. It is on the left hand side a couple of km before you get to the entrance of the dam. Stands back from the main road but you can't miss it.

Nice building. Usual no-expense-spared, for what should be a basic public sector utility building. No accountability whatsoever wheresoever in Thailand when our tax (VAT makes this a falang inclusive statement) baht are being spent! It's often 'the same the whole world over, aint it all a blooming shame'smile.png

I don't suppose anyone even dreamt of combining Sisaket and Ubon resources at somewhere like Khantararom. Nice for us since we get walk-up service in Meuang Sisaket (perhaps I should shut up, but it offends my career training that was partly management consulting in the UK government sector).

Edited by SantiSuk

Lou,............... N-Joy bar sadly passed away today..................I have been told he will return to N-Joy today so folk can go and pay their respects. I am going this evening to see if he is there and say a few words.

Any further and we will have to get a Lao visa to do our 90 day reports.

Actually, we can do them from the comfort of home online.

I was at Phiboon recently for mine. The nice lady who sits at the back left took me and my colleague to her computer and walked us through step by step how to do it online.

Lou,............... N-Joy bar sadly passed away today..................I have been told he will return to N-Joy today so folk can go and pay their respects. I am going this evening to see if he is there and say a few words.

RIP Lou, enjoyed our talks

RIP Lou, enjoyed our talks

He has been a part of the furniture for many years and will be sorely missed. Has been suffering ill health a bit over the last 6 odd years, his pain is at an end.

• Like 1

Very sad - was always there during the afternoon particularly for a word or two.

Very surprised at this news. We (the hash) were in N-Joy on Saturday night. Louis had been struggling with a fall that had left him looking like he'd done a couple of rounds with Ali and had also damaged his ear. But ... he seemed to be more lucid and lively than I can recall for a couple of years. He has been quite taciturn of late but he started a couple of conversational themes and seemed to be so much more switched on. His demise is strangely inconsistent with that.

So sorry I'm in the UK and can't be there for any celebrations of his life

Unconfirmed but it sounds like Kan Air is already pulling the Ubon-Utapao flight, but the Chiang Mai route is still safe.

Yupp, seems like the Ubon-Utapao is gone. I spoke to somebody earlier today who had a flight booked, but was called and they said the flights have been cancelled.

Also they're not available on their website.