Ubon Ratchathani News & Development

ubonrthai

Seriously, condos in Ubon starting at 1.2 million and sold out. Who is kidding who. You would be a complete fool to pay that.

If I was back living in Ubon I would be happy to buy one or two. Sold out already? Good money to be made over the next few years it would seem. Ubon has been booming for quite some time and that price is quite reasonable imo and this seems to be backed up by all the buyers.

A lot of these "so called" sold out condo"s have been bought "en block" by corporations so it's not as if your (in some cases) going to move into a thriving community.

I say this as a generalisation of Thailand and not Ubon specific.

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Phibun Immigration told me they think they will make the move to Sirindhorn in 2 months. I don't think they actually know when though.

Does anybody have any info on where in Sirindhorn it is going to be.

I was at Phibun yesterday and they told me that they would be moved by end of July. Decided to take a look at the new place for future reference. It is 26.7 km from the current office along Route 217 heading east towards Sirindhorn. It is on the left hand side a couple of km before you get to the entrance of the dam. Stands back from the main road but you can't miss it.

Any updates on the move.

Was chatting with one of the Sappasit Hospital nurses last week at Wrong Way (she hashes with us sometimes). She has been assigned to the International (private) wing of the hospital - presumably as she speaks some English - and tells me that it is already on a soft open. I'll try it out next time I'm in need of any attention. Would be interested in reports from others.

Lion Air commenced flights to DM from Ubon International Airport this month (3 flights a day each way), as mooted elsewhere on the Isaan forum. I was coming back from Bangkok last week and needed to book a one-way flight at 24 hours notice. Nok Air was 1,500 baht all up and Lion Air would have been about 400 baht cheaper. Yes - I know that Nok is a lot cheaper than 1,500 baht if you are not booking at the 11th hour, but business in Bangkok prolonged my stay in the capital at very late notice. I took the Nok flight, as the timing suited my needs better and I get an extra 5kg having joined Nok Fan Club.

The Nok flight was unusually only half full, as had been my outbound flight a few days earlier. I noted that there seemed to be a wider range of choice for online payment on the,equally easy to use, Lion website than with Nok/Air Asia. In particular unrestricted use of debit cards allowed.

I hope that the increased competition does not have a converse longer term effect of reducing profits and thereby driving prices up!

Oh and the Lion stewardesses (as seen in DM) look very elegant in their long dresses, though no doubt some of you/us will prefer the shorter (but not mini) yellow skirts of the little birds.

Take advantage of the obviously cheaper promotional Lion fares while you can! Report-backs welcomed

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

i will be in Ubon late sunday night around 11 pm, never been before. ile be ready for a beer when i get there. will any farang establishments still be open around that time ?

Wrong Way Cafe will be open until at least midnight - kitchen would be closed at that time*, but should be 10-30 falang in there I would guess + pool table.

Google Wrong Way Ubon - may work but I know the owner (Ting) is having naming trouble with her page in the last couple of days.

In case, Wrong Way cafe is on Phadaeng Road in pretty much the centre of Ubon (that road runs parallel with Chayangkul Road, the main drag, one block to the east). Its on the bit of Phadaeng Road immedietely south of Sapphasit Road.

TC Kitchen next to the Laithong Hotel is slightly less central (1.5k from WW) but may also still be open at that time. N-Joy which is 3km out of centre would only be open if there are still customers left to serve.

Let us know if you need accom recommendations.

*Good Thai food at typical open-fronted formica-tabled establishment 300m north along Tha Padaeng/turn left at 1st lights into Tha Sapphasit/20 metres on the left. Open til past midnite on the nights I've been there (and Thais usually don't change timing much for Sunday)

• Like 1

There is a new place I believe called Me Expat & Thai Restaurant and Bar (Facebook it) that is supposed to be open till 12. Anyone been?

https://www.facebook.com/Mebarubon?fref=ts

Me Bar & Restaurant, located in Ubon City same side as Sunee Grand Hotel and the main Tesco Lotus, and just passed the Isuzu Dealership - Me Bar & Restaurant will be the Number 1 Bar and Restaurant in Ubon Ratchathani

Live Music, Pool Tables, Bar's and food split across 2 levels.

Phibun Immigration told me they think they will make the move to Sirindhorn in 2 months. I don't think they actually know when though.

Does anybody have any info on where in Sirindhorn it is going to be.

I was at Phibun yesterday and they told me that they would be moved by end of July. Decided to take a look at the new place for future reference. It is 26.7 km from the current office along Route 217 heading east towards Sirindhorn. It is on the left hand side a couple of km before you get to the entrance of the dam. Stands back from the main road but you can't miss it.

Any updates on the move.

Joe,

I went to Phibun this morning; the officer who dealt with me said that they expect to move in August.

Thanks for the info. August sounds good. Will be doing my extension the first week of August.

I sent an email asking them about it last Friday but no reply yet. I asked for a date which could be the reason for no reply.

Thanks for the info. August sounds good. Will be doing my extension the first week of August.

I sent an email asking them about it last Friday but no reply yet. I asked for a date which could be the reason for no reply.

So you should still be OK for the old building.

Can you imagine the task they will have moving all those mountains of paperwork for long-time resident old buggers like us?

But, despite NP's doubts, I am fairly confident it will happen this year!.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sunpasitinter Hospital is now officially open. They opened on mothers Day ( August 12th ).

They aren't quite up to date with English paperwork / information, but do have english speaking staff to do translation if needed.

They gave me a little walk through and it looks nice and well equipped. I attached a couple of pictures of their private rooms.

Deluxe Room ( equivalent to a standard room ) - 2000 Baht

Vip Room ( Superior Room ) - 3000 Baht

Super Vip ( Presidential suite smile.png. There is a big room with lots of space for the patient and another "small" meeting / dining room with a couple of windows to the patients room ). 4000 Baht

The two pictures I took are for their Deluxe room. The Vip and super vip are the same as far as decor goes, just bigger and more spacious ).

Most of the staff are from the sappasit government hospital.

Is that per month...?

• Like 1

At Phibun immigration now on their WiFi.

My wife asked about the move. Reply was a laugh and long time.

So that has put the kibosh on my being told August!

Maybe NiwPix is more accurate with his "which year" question after all?

• Like 2

At Phibun immigration now on their WiFi.

My wife asked about the move. Reply was a laugh and long time.

So that has put the kibosh on my being told August!

Maybe NiwPix is more accurate with his "which year" question after all?

It has gone from July to August to ???. I was mostly interested to know if it would be before next month when I need to go back for the extension stamp. Perhaps by next year when I go to do my application again they will of moved.

It was a slow afternoon.there. We got there just before 1 and there was only one other person getting an extension. After they left it was just the wife and I.

I did a report on the visa forum about it. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849785-report-extension-based-upon-marriage-application-at-ubon-immigration/