Ubon Ratchathani News & Development

ubonrthai

Sawadee to all members here!

First of all I want to introduce myself:

I'm a 60 year old Austrian living most of the time in Pattaya, but my wife is from Ubon R., so I stay average 1 week/month in a small village near Non Khun/Sisaket.

Now my question to the community:

My stepson (aged 15) just managed it to start at NARINUKUN SCHOOL , but the problem is the long way to school.

So we decided to rent an affordable room for him.

Is there anyone who could give me an advice (preferably a room very near to school)?

My son acts independently, but he is a little bit shy.

For any advices I would be very thankful.

regards

We were looking a month ago for my 19 yo stepdaughter who starts at Ubon Rajabat University this month. It's round the corner from Narinkun so we were looking centrally.

The only place we looked at that was walkable (which I define as 1km or less - this is 1km) to Narinkun/Rajabat was in Suriyat Soi 1. I marked it on the map below (big yellow/orange 4-5 storey building - u cannot miss it). Rooms at 3,500 baht pcm and up. The 3,500 baht fan rooms were OK according to my wife who looked inside and to my stepdaughter's friend who lives there. Electricity (always ask) was 10baht a kwH. You can do better than that on price (but 2,500 seems to be a floor for single decent/habitable room in a 'managed' block) and better on electricity and/or bigger rooms if you look further out. Typically an aircon room is 500 baht more.The big areas for student rooms are:

1. to the east of Chayankhun Road (sois leading eastwards down from the Ring Road to Sunnee Grand Hotel & Plaza)
  2. to the east and west off Sukha-Uppatham Road along it's entire length (that road leads diagonally north-westwards off Chaengsanit Road up to the Ring Road)

But both of these areas would be a baht bus + walk undertaking (or bicycle - I'm assuming a 15yo would not ride a motorbike around town)

I think that most people looking for rooms/apartments walk or drive around and go into obvious blocks (lots of motorbikes outside) and ask. Rooms turn over quite frequently so don't expect vacancy signs. Have not heard of any agency.

post-74421-0-13088700-1467423575_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello

Can some one up in Ubon tell me if Pot Noodles from the U.K are available in Ubon as I have looked in Topps supermarket and cant find them in there was wondering if anyone else had seen them in another supermarket,Thank you .

I don't believe they are. However Leo's in Sisaket sell them.....

I dont suppose you are going there anytime soon ,since I live in Amnat Charoen ,Cheers

He comes to Ubon quite a lot. I will ask him to drop some to me. What flavours do you want ?

• Like 1

Sawadee to all members here!

First of all I want to introduce myself:

I'm a 60 year old Austrian living most of the time in Pattaya, but my wife is from Ubon R., so I stay average 1 week/month in a small village near Non Khun/Sisaket.

Now my question to the community:

My stepson (aged 15) just managed it to start at NARINUKUN SCHOOL , but the problem is the long way to school.

So we decided to rent an affordable room for him.

Is there anyone who could give me an advice (preferably a room very near to school)?

My son acts independently, but he is a little bit shy.

For any advices I would be very thankful.

regards

If you call this number 081-265-9388. This Lady has room for rent very close to the University, The Rooms are very reasonable and clean etc.

• Like 1

Hello

Can some one up in Ubon tell me if Pot Noodles from the U.K are available in Ubon as I have looked in Topps supermarket and cant find them in there was wondering if anyone else had seen them in another supermarket,Thank you .

I don't believe they are. However Leo's in Sisaket sell them.....

I dont suppose you are going there anytime soon ,since I live in Amnat Charoen ,Cheers

He comes to Ubon quite a lot. I will ask him to drop some to me. What flavours do you want ?

How much is he charging for them

Bad Boy Bombay ,Chicken and Mushroom ,Original Curry and if its possible to get the King Size pots,Thank you for your help.

Hello,

thx für your advices.

We found a room nearby for 3.500,--/month airconditioned, with the option to change into non-aircon (2.700,--) when available.

Free WI-FI, TV, hot water for shower, quite comfortable....

Thx a lot!

regards

• 3 weeks later...

In this article, it talks about a 5 year plan to improve Ubon. A 2nd ring road to keep trucks out of the city, new underpasses and/or overpasses are all mentioned. I haven't heard or seen any specific plans so who knows how much is talk.

the work has started nearly 8 month ago at moment they are working on inside land but soon they will come out on the main road and will be visible they will be 2 exit on chaengsanit road the 1st. will be 11 km.from my restaurant direction yasothon the 2nd will be near the rice office direction yasothon maybe 26 km from my shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited The River housing estate last week. Apparently every house that is being built has been sold. The lady said that there was a lot of interest from foreigners  but they wanted larger houses and larger sections. To satisfy this demand, the developers will start building larger houses on bigger sections from next year onwards. These larger houses are not yet shown on The River website. 

http://www.theriverubon.com/#house-plan

Wanted to have dinner at Tom's American on Phalochai Road tonight. Couldn't find it. Closed permanently?

Then went to look for Saloon Café and Bar at Phichitrangsan Road. Couldn't find that either.

Finally ended up in Me Bar Ubon. Expected more of that place ...

7 hours ago, chris26be said:

Wanted to have dinner at Tom's American on Phalochai Road tonight. Couldn't find it. Closed permanently?

Then went to look for Saloon Café and Bar at Phichitrangsan Road. Couldn't find that either.

To find Tom's place, you have to go all the way down to the river, turn left and you'll find it at the end of the street along the river.  Haven't seen much action when I've passed by.

The Saloon is near the intersection with Chaengsanit rd., on the north side of Pichitrangsan and opposite a Vietnamese restaurant/Golfer House. The Saloon is  :thumbsup:!

• Like 1

But sounds like the poster was looking for dinner Bergen and as you and I know, for some unearthly reason, Saloon Cafe and Bar closes some time around 7pm.  Posted time is 8pm but its been closed earlier than that two times I looked. Yes - good place, but strange decision to shut that early for a place that has 'bar' in the title.

19 hours ago, chris26be said:

Tom's shutdown a few months ago. He has a new place but is only doing his bakery items he sells to some shops from what I have been told.

Ubon's most remote waterfall Pak Khap Sam Tuan น้ำตกปากคาบสามทวน was filmed by helicopter last week during a forest inspection. If you noticed a strange helicopter flying around town a couple days, that was the chopper they were using. The original post is here and I have some more information here. It looks like Huai Luang but this one is further SW in the Yod Dom Forest Reserve.

• Like 1

I missed seeing a mention but starting sept 1st they are charging to park at ubon airport.

I forgot to take a pic of the sign but bellieve there is an hourly charge up to maybe B180 per day.

I'm told parking down on the dirt area will still be free

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a good painter in Ubon.  We need our house freshening up inside and out, window frames painting and first prices in look high so I'd like to get another quote if possible.  Some years back we had a wonderful guy paint for us and his prices were very reasonable but he's since moved out the area so I'm struggling to find anyone on a search.  Many thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2016 at 9:25 AM, Farma said:

I missed seeing a mention but starting sept 1st they are charging to park at ubon airport.

I forgot to take a pic of the sign but bellieve there is an hourly charge up to maybe B180 per day.

I'm told parking down on the dirt area will still be free

I was at the Ubon airport last evening. The parking is great, plenty of spaces and so orderly. In the controlled parking areas, parking is free for 30 minutes only. Thereafter, the charge is 15 baht/hour, up to a maximum of 180 baht/day. Now that is cheap. So if one parks one's car there for say five days, the charge would be 900 baht.  Down the road on the grass-dirt area, parking is still free for as long as you like.  

I did notice before entering the airport, a line of cars parked along side the golf driving range. I presume they were waiting to pick up people and were waiting for the plane to arrive so they would not have to pay the 15 baht/hour if they parked inside for more than 30 minutes. I parked inside for exactly 28 minutes free of charge.

• Like 1

Parked on the dirt overnight two Mondays ago - it was like a lake bottom when I arrived back. It's about time the airport authorities spent a bit of money on that area to make it shoe-friendly after a rain storm. Too late to bother this year but get it ready for next rainy season please.

The new parking arrangement made it a bit of a queue to get out of the airport too. The line-up to get into the barriered paid-for concrete area crosses with the line-up to progress out of the airport from the dirt park. Needs fixing!

And to finish up the whine - there is far too much concreted area that is being wasted on the runway side of the dirt area. It's about half used most times and obviously reserved for VIPs and rental cars only.

21 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Parked on the dirt overnight two Mondays ago - it was like a lake bottom when I arrived back. It's about time the airport authorities spent a bit of money on that area to make it shoe-friendly after a rain storm.

That is the free parking remember. Next to the sealed 180baht per day option.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Gentleman, can anyone steer me in the direction of a used set of righty golf clubs. Will be visiting the girlfriend for 2 months and dont want to get rusty. Also any updates on the golf scene in ubon at the moment? I plan on going to the sirindhorn damn golf course, seems like the best bet, might stay at a shack in khong chiam on the river for a few weeks so i can shoot over to the dam every day.

There is a store with used golf clubs in Warin. Can't give you a specific location as I haven't been by it for quite awhile. I think it's on the Niwat Withi Rd that runs by the golf course in Warin. It's on the east side of the road.

Yeah I was thinking about that place as well. Take the 2nd bridge from Ubon city to Warin. Turn off to golf club on your left - keep driving and the market will be on your right then 100m after the market the shop is on your left.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, MeMock said:

Phadaeng Mansion used to do it for 50 baht a day but this was a while ago.

Thanks MeMock , I know Phadaeng and will enquire there.

I was thinking there might be a lot where they can turn the engine over and check the tyres and general service.

The diesel pick up is now sitting in the village for up to a year at a time and not really getting looked after by an uncle . 

It would be nice to have the convenience of the motor when up country , so I would prefer not to sell it on .

I will be in Ubon  at CNY and will probably be in the pub across the road at least once.

Cheers 

Luke

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

I've heard that Robinson Ying Yong department store in town is closing at the end of the month.

Tenant in the wifes apartment block works there, losing her job.

Sad news indeed that Robinson-Ying Yong will close at end of the month. My sources inform that Robinson will end its twenty year partnership with Ying Yong at end of January but that doesn’t mean Ying Yong will close. It will either continue in its own name or seek a new partnership.

Ying Yong is an Ubon institution. I remember so many things about Ying Yong:

1 Buying a smart shirt at its first store in central Ubon in 1974.

2 Enjoying its new (and present) store on Chaiyangyung road. In November 1995, my family and I walked in and were impressed by the lovely Xtmas tree on display. We wanted to buy one. Ying Yong had no other, so they immediately took down their display tree and gave it to us. I still have it.

3 Ying Yong back then had the best supermarket in town. About 1996 Tops came in and opened theirs on the ground floor. Some yearsr it closed but two-three years ago came back. 

4 The joint venture with Robinson started in 1996. Modifications were made to the store, including installing the first escalator in Ubon. That in itself was an attraction.

The opening up of Makro, Tesco lotus and Big C hurt Robinson-Ying Yong. Central opening in 2013 was the nail in the coffin.

Hopefully Ying Yong will rise again in another form.

But when some of the family own the 7-eleven franchises in many provinces in south-east Isaan, it may not be necessary to rise again

• 3 weeks later...