BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ubonrthai

Ubon Ratchathani News & Development

On 2/14/2020 at 4:19 PM, Michael Hare said:

I doubt if any mall will be built on the old Ying-Yong-Robinson site. These old family malls can not compete with Central. When I came to live permanently in Ubon in 1994 there four large Ubon family shopping stores in Ubon. Three downtown and Ying Yong. Since then SK and Sunee have opened. They are all struggling. During that time Makro, Big C and Tesco-Lotus have also opened as well. Have to wait and see if Y-Square Mall will prosper. 

Y -Square Food Mall may do okay if it is just that-a Food Mall. I see a new 7-11 is in the complex already. To be expected as the owner of Y-Square owns all 7-11s in southern Isaan. 

Currently under construction is a U turn road under the two double bridges acrossing the Little Mun river before one crosses the bridges to get to PEA. 

Just what the city. Another 7/11 and another accident prone section....eeehm....I mean another U-Turn

Agree with 711 sentiment Newpix, but a U-turn under a bridge is not the same 'accident-waiting-to-happen' as a same-level U-turn. I read the proposed U-turn (as described) as being similar to say the U-turn if you are coming out of Central and wanting to go north-eastwards towards the Yaso junction on the Ring Road; down, under, round and up!

A big up for Ubon passport office. Last week we went to renew my wife and daughter's Thai passports. Processed in less than 30 minutes. Received passports by SMS next day in rural Sisaket! I tend to go for afternoons with stuff like this and hospital clinics, as IME Thais all go earlyish morning.

I couldn't find a phone number online to check requirements for renewal and neither could my wife (not sure she tried very hard!) so just took everything. The only thing that I was not prepared for was a requirement for them to see my passport, which luckily I had anyway. An obvious requirement re a minor daughter's passport renewal when you think more cogently than I did.

The UK Passport Office could learn a thing or two from the Thais!

Edited by SantiSuk

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Agree with 711 sentiment Newpix, but a U-turn under a bridge is not the same 'accident-waiting-to-happen' as a same-level U-turn. I read the proposed U-turn (as described) as being similar to say the U-turn if you are coming out of Central and wanting to go north-eastwards towards the Yaso junction on the Ring Road; down, under, round and up!

Exactly right Santisuk. It is an underpass road just like the one near Central. I certainly hope it is wider though. 

Regarding 7-11 stores everywhere in Ubon city. I was wondering if coffee shops outnumber the number of 7-11 stores in the city? I can't see how all these coffee shops make any money.

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

I couldn't find a phone number online to check requirements for renewal and neither could my wife (not sure she tried very hard!) so just took everything.

FYI and others about all the info you need to know for Thai passports can be found here in Thai. 

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/10131

23 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

The only thing that I was not prepared for was a requirement for them to see my passport, which luckily I had anyway. An obvious requirement re a minor daughter's passport renewal when you think more cogently than I did.

My daughter was 19 years and 10 months old when we last renewed her passport. I still had to be there and show my passport.

• Thanks 1