Timing Belt Change - Mitsubishi

How big a job is with a Triton?

Had my timing chain replaced last year on my Strada. They wanted to replace radiator & water pump at the same time. Settled for replacing water pump, but kept my radiator. Around 20,000 baht. But that was a chain, not a belt.

The current version of the Mitsubishi 2.5L 4D56 engine uses a cam drive chain. I think these are replaced based on wear not at a set km interval. It is wise to be conservative with the wear assessment, a cam drive chain or tensioner failure can make a mess.

Are you sure it's chain driven?

"The 4D5 engine is a range of four-cylinder belt-driven overhead camshaft diesel engines which were part of the "Astron" family, and introduced in 1980 in the then new fifth generation Galant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Astron_engine#4D56

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel-system-talk-140/crash-course-4d56-timing-belt-replacement-pics-85821/

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34129

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for that.

My Strada is the 2800cc diesel 12years old it's chain driven. I don't know if yours is belt or chain but while you are at the dealer just ask I know Toyota says 150,000km on there belts, on a chain normally only changed when making a lot of noise.

If you check back a few months ago you will find my thread on this It depends on the Engine Size. The 3.2lt has a timing Chain and can go for 200,000 k's, the 2.5lt has a timing belt and should be changed at 100,000 k's. The Mitsu Dealer in Mukdahan wanted to Change my 3.2lt belt as he said it was, a couple of months ago so i did a lot of checking to find out it was a Chain and didn't need changing at all. I then passed on the information to the dealer. Search back for the Full Story. In Mukdahan at the Service Center office there is a chart on the wall that gives the price for all Servicing which includes the price for changing a Timing Belt on the 2.5lt Engine. It is a lot cheaper than the 3.2lt timing Chain. I think the Quoted Price was about 23,000 baht. Get your dealer to print out the pricing for you which shows all the bits to be replaced etc.

My timming belt was just changed ( not Mitsubishi).

Books says 90,000 kms. mine had 135,000. On causal inspection the old one looks OK. Much better than the accessory belt that came off at the same timelaugh.png

Had my timing chain replaced last year on my Strada. They wanted to replace radiator & water pump at the same time. Settled for replacing water pump, but kept my radiator. Around 20,000 baht. But that was a chain, not a belt.

"Around 20,000 baht." How much Ky did they need? That's a lot of cash for a straight forward job that usually takes less than 4 hours. If your radiator is always full of coolant you probably don't need a radiator, just a radiator flush.

"Around 20,000 baht." How much Ky did they need? That's a lot of cash for a straight forward job that usually takes less than 4 hours. If your radiator is always full of coolant you probably don't need a radiator, just a radiator flush.

2 day job. Have to remove radiator & front of engine. This a timing chain, not belt.

Interesting. Thanks for that.

My Strada is the 2800cc diesel 12years old it's chain driven. I don't know if yours is belt or chain but while you are at the dealer just ask I know Toyota says 150,000km on there belts, on a chain normally only changed when making a lot of noise.

It's not so much the Chain that is making the Noise but the Chain Tensioner, If it goes you will have a big bill to pay. If you start to here noise from the front of the engine have it seen to.

Are you sure it's chain driven?

"The 4D5 engine is a range of four-cylinder belt-driven overhead camshaft diesel engines which were part of the "Astron" family, and introduced in 1980 in the then new fifth generation Galant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Astron_engine#4D56

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel-system-talk-140/crash-course-4d56-timing-belt-replacement-pics-85821/

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34129

Nope, I was wrong. I have a copy of a few pages from a Triton shop manual showing a twin cam chain drive. I thought this was a 2011 manual and assumed it was for the 16 valve 4D56 engine but looking back, the engine spec is not stated so it's probably older and for one of the 4M4 series engines.

The 2.5L uses a belt and Mitsubishi shows the timing belt change at 100,000 km in the (Thai) handbook but Mitsubishi's website maintenance page does not show the belt replacement cost for the 100,000 km service?

Does the vehicle have a warning light for the cam belt? My Toyota Vigo has a light but I'm not sure if it's programmed to come on after a set odometer reading or of it has a sensor that senses any frays or loose cords around the actual belt. Just turned over 100,000klm but the light hasn't come on yet.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I'm thinking of having it done very soon. This time I will probably stay and watch them do it.

I remember watching them do my very first service all those years ago. They went to put new oil in without changing the filter. I stopped them and had to insist they change the 150 baht oil filter before adding new oil...

OK - Update.

Price of timing belt kit (belt + tensioner) is 9,500 Baht fitted from my local Mitsubishi dealer on Koh Samui

I asked why this wasn't changed 20,000 Km's ago and got blank looks... Anyway, will have it changed next week.

2 day job. Have to remove radiator & front of engine. This a timing chain, not belt.

That's a load of BS. It's a 4 hour job for a competent mechanic. The only thing that will add time to the job is if you have to go and get a new hydraulic chain tensioner cos the old one is stuffed. It only takes a minute to check if it's OK or not.

P.S. I showed them this picture just to be certain...

That's a belt....which is a bit easier!

LOL. I wanted to point out the tensioner to them.

I am starting to think that's a good idea for just about everything here. I down load pix's and print em out for lots of stuff.