Problem Using Hotmail And Avast

monsieurhappy

Hi, can anybody help? Starting this afternoon, OK am., each time I try to login to hotmail my avast a/v pops up with a warning about malware being detected and locks up hotmail. I use firefox but the same thing happens with IE. My OS is windows 7 ( genuine ). I've tried to sort it out but I'm not a techy. I did a restore but I still get the same thing happening. I can stop it and use hotmail if I disable avast. Everything else seems to work although I did lose all my bookmarks and some sites seem to have changed appearance.

Thanks! Anybody?

I use Spybot s/d which I ran, finding nothing. I also did a virus check with Avast, again clear! Then I decided it may have something to do with the fact my email is set to "exclusive". It has been on this setting for sometime. I changed it to "standard" and as if by magic my a/v does not pop up to tell me it has detected a problem. So I guess the problem was coming from hotmail or whoever owns this thing now!

I use Spybot s/d which I ran, finding nothing. I also did a virus check with Avast, again clear! Then I decided it may have something to do with the fact my email is set to "exclusive". It has been on this setting for sometime. I changed it to "standard" and as if by magic my a/v does not pop up to tell me it has detected a problem. So I guess the problem was coming from hotmail or whoever owns this thing now!

What do you mean "exclusive"?

"Exclusive" in Hotmail is that only contacts can send you email which will arrive in your Inbox. The rest will arrive in your Spam Box.

Strange but it worked for you

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJCM

If avast warns about malware, it's maybe a good idea to scan with another scanner (second opinion)

You could try these

- Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)

- HitmanPro (http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/)

- Superantispyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html)

All of these are are great free programs for a Windows computer. I use all three of these programs to clean computers that are definitely infected.

No idea but perhaps Avast is detecting something in webmail?

Spybot is not used a lot anymore, but is a great tool. I use it and the others mentioned.

Checknand delete quarantine.

I don't like the new Avast interface and switched to MSE which also has live. Also run Spybot live.

TrendMicro Housecall

Eset Trial and delete

Id run all aforemention apps plus GMER and Kaspersky rootkit killer.

Reload the os, if you have one seen, five unseen.