Australian Gunmen Walk Free After Short Phuket Prison Stint

webfact

They probably would have got the same sentence back home with a good lawyer and a clean record

I highly doubt that. I don't think Aussie law varies that much from US law with which I am somewhat versed. In the states trying to kill the wrong person is the same as trying to kill the intended person. It's called transferred intent. In California, for example, first degree (premeditated) attempted murder, which I don't think anyone is denying that is what we have here, carries the penalty of life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Did anyone notice that the guy they were trying to kill got more time for not showing up to the hearing about the motorcycle he was in a dispute over with these guys.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they paid off with some big money, but couldn't pay the 7500b fine and had to serve it in jail at 200b per day.... Hmmm.

Of course. They had none left.

No doubt their families had to foot the bill i.e sell their property or something like that. Sadly this is not the first time paying the way out and for sure for the greedy Thais this won't be the last time. The police is the mafia

Word on the street in Patong is that the tariff was 25 large. I got that from someone who knows one of the forkwits quite well. I hope the story is well-reported in Aus, just so Aussies know what this place is about. I wonder what the Aus Consul has to say about this? I would guess he has no comment ......

What about the Danish Consul/Press. German Consul/Press.

I can imagine the tale the are telling there mates down there local bar.

If these guys committed the same crime, anywhere else in Thailand, they would be locked away for a long time.

It's only on Phuket where such major criminal behaviour is allowed to flourish and go unpunished, for a fee, of course.

It wasn't unpunished. They got a suspended sentence and a fine.

By "punished", you mean a suspended sentence & fine?! 'Sounds more appropriate for shoplifting or reckless driving than for shooting somebody...

Edited by hawker9000

This sends a clear incentive to criminals to come to Phuket to do crime.

Get caught here, and all you do is buy your way out of it.

Interesting times ahead for Phuket.

Unfortunately Pukhet is quickly becoming another Pattaya.

I used to visit Pattaya but no longer do so because of the higher and higher crime rate and the low life farangs. No, they're not all bad guys, just more and more of them are.

• Like 1

If these guys committed the same crime, anywhere else in Thailand, they would be locked away for a long time.

It's only on Phuket where such major criminal behaviour is allowed to flourish and go unpunished, for a fee, of course.

Actually in Canada it is (on the books) a life sentence but in actuality a first time offender the minimum is usually applied ( 5 years). However with waits till cases such as these go to court a criminal can get 3 days credit for each day served until trial. If found guilty the criminal then get sentenced (again usually the min 5 years) and with good behavior gets additional credit of 1.5 - 2 days for each day served.

Although not as quick a turn around time as Phuket but attempted murder with a weapon (with intent) a person in Canada can be and have been released serving less than a year (some have been released after serving 6 months because a trial was taking too long).

tried to find minimum sentence for attempted murder with firearm in Australia, but not alot of luck. I think perhaps 4 years just for the firearm, plus the attempted murder time. This is so insane, letting these guys out. As you all know already. They don't look so hiso.... Red Bull heirs perhaps? If ever there were a time expats would applaud a long prison sentence, seems this would be one. Is Thailand trying to be some Hub of gangs that can't shoot straight? When I taught in USA, one of the students at high school I taught got 20 years for shooting at (but not hitting) other students driving by school.

This is Thailand, not Australia. What's the point in guessing what the Australian penalty would be?

My understanding is that they are from Australia. Just wondered what the sentence might be for the same crime back down under. Sure must be more than 4 months... How about sending them back to Australia to serve Australian sentence? USA somehow has method of putting our fine citizens in prison for crimes they commit over here, or at least the banners stuck up here and there seem to indicate that. Edited by Emdog

So these two 'insert your adjective here', were sentenced to six months suspended for 15 days. It is hard to imagine the reasonings for the sentence being so light but I will decline to comment. However I was thinking about why they might choose to serve their time rather than pay the fine. Seems to me they are pretty shrewd. If they chose to pay the fine and return to their haunt then it would not take much for them to break the terms of the suspended sentence. A perfect opportunity for the police to fit them up or for some other likely lad confront them in the knowledge that if any offence proved against them they would go inside for two years.

Since the Thai Police, I decline to use the Royal prefix for a criminal organisation that serves no useful purpose to Thai society, are well known for their corruption, being 'out' would only have exposed them to more corruption and a probable 2 year jail term.

I think they made the sensible choice to stay in prison and avoid the obvious problem.

The question is why the sentence was so light. On that we can only conjecture.

So these two 'blokes' now think they are untouchable.

Six month, fifteen day suspended sentence and fined seven and half thousand Baht. Wow! But what would a foreigner get for possessing a bag a grass? crazy.gif Amazing Thailand indeed!

After serving their 'sentences' (what a joke they were) are they allowed to return to their lives in Phuket? Allowing these two back in to society on the island is like advocating foreigners carrying firearms without permits in Thailand.

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

This sends a clear incentive to criminals to come to Phuket to do crime.

Get caught here, and all you do is buy your way out of it.

Interesting times ahead for Phuket.

Unfortunately Pukhet is quickly becoming another Pattaya.

I used to visit Pattaya but no longer do so because of the higher and higher crime rate and the low life farangs. No, they're not all bad guys, just more and more of them are.

I remember when Phuket had a different "class" of expat and tourist, not that I am an elitist. It was probably because it cost a little more to get here and took a little longer (side flight from Bangkok for many) and also because it was, in general, more expensive than Pattaya.

It's changed a lot over the years. You've got the same type of dodgy farang on Phuket now that has been in Pattaya for years.

Also, the construction here is making Phuket an "island city" as Pattaya is a city by the ocean. Concrete everywhere.

In more recent times, Phuket has matched Pattaya for violent crimes.

I really would like to know the name of the lawyer who handled their case, he's got some talent rolleyes.gif

Or a fistful of $$$

Maybe the expats and tourist can create an auction amongst the legal community here.

When you are arrested, you auction off the the highest commission to the lawyer that get you the lowest "mediation deal" with the police and/or Thai family. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

tried to find minimum sentence for attempted murder with firearm in Australia, but not alot of luck. I think perhaps 4 years just for the firearm, plus the attempted murder time. This is so insane, letting these guys out. As you all know already. They don't look so hiso.... Red Bull heirs perhaps? If ever there were a time expats would applaud a long prison sentence, seems this would be one. Is Thailand trying to be some Hub of gangs that can't shoot straight? When I taught in USA, one of the students at high school I taught got 20 years for shooting at (but not hitting) other students driving by school.

This is Thailand, not Australia. What's the point in guessing what the Australian penalty would be?

My understanding is that they are from Australia. Just wondered what the sentence might be for the same crime back down under. Sure must be more than 4 months... How about sending them back to Australia to serve Australian sentence? USA somehow has method of putting our fine citizens in prison for crimes they commit over here, or at least the banners stuck up here and there seem to indicate that.

In theory sounds good, but these tough guys own the whole city of Sydney, If our law enforcement can't control a single city how do you propose they will deal with OS issues???

Edited by Bikkii

If the same level of apparent logic is applied to all the parties in this incident, the shooting victims ought to be charged with perverting the course of a legitimate business assassination, and serve several years.

They bought the gun from the BIB....?

maybe, I believe all (legal)hand guns here are tested and the ballistics results kept on file in case of a crime.....except those owned by the police.

Who knows, doesn't look like farangs owning concealable fire arms is much of a deal though does it?

If you can buy your way out of shooting two tourists in a crowded street in daytime it follows that buying the gun to shoot them with isn't going to be difficult either,is it?

If the same level of apparent logic is applied to all the parties in this incident, the shooting victims ought to be charged with perverting the course of a legitimate business assassination, and serve several years.

I was thinking the same thing,they should be forced to pay the Bikers innocent businessmen for damages to their bullets for getting in the way of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Simply unbelievable, even in this country.

Attempted murder, wounding and the prison term is less than you'd get for slandering someone.

The legal system here is the absolute pits.

No arguement here. Seems Justice in Thailand is void of common sense. Were they even kicked out of country?

Simply unbelievable, even in this country.

Attempted murder, wounding and the prison term is less than you'd get for slandering someone.

The legal system here is the absolute pits.

No arguement here. Seems Justice in Thailand is void of common sense. Were they even kicked out of country?

As stated before - it's only on Planet Phuket.

The same crime would have ended in a different result if it occured anywhere else in Thailand.

This is why crime is flourishing here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just read elsewhere that the intended victim of the Australian shooters, Danish mafioso Dennis Mark Knudsen, has been arrested for murdering a woman with a knife in front of her two young children.

Pity the Oz hero's were such bad shots.whistling.gif

• Like 1