Where Has All The Corned Beef Gone

lampard10

A couple of months ago I went to see RC and took a leg of lamb and he cooked a wonderful roast lamb dinner but then I had to come back home to my wifes very good Thai cooking using either the 2 burner gas griller or the charcoal burner.

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it.

You bring the lamb mate and I'll be happy to cook the dinner :D
Where are you guys located? A lamb roast is worth a trip!
I'm In Nakorn Sawan and Bill is in Kampengpet...anyone bringing meat is always welcome :D

RC

Oy you...........................piss off hijacking my Corned Beef thread and turning into a lamb thread :D

the Kiwis have found some more uses for Lamb, eating and wool :o

I'll direct the thread back to corned beef.

Since nobody else has posted a recipe for American corned beef hash to counter that nasty-sounding Brit recipe, I will.

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onions

3 cups cooked corned beef, in 1/2 inch chunks

2 to 3 cups of veggies, primarily potatoes, with some carrot (and parsnip or turnip if you are adventurous) cooked and cut in 1/2 inch cubes. Most people just use the potatoes and carrots.

Cook the onions in the oil over medium-high heat until they are lightly browned. Add the corned beef and veggies. Stir once, reduce heat to medium, and press mixture down firmly with spatula. Let cook undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bottom is well-browned. Invert on serving plate, garnish with parsley. Poached eggs may be served on top.

The best way to get all the ingedients for corned beef hash is to make New England Boiled Dinner first. Corned beef hash is made with the leftovers from this dinner.

Just throw a hunk of corned beef into a large pot. When it is cooked, take it out. Put peeled and quartered potatoes, carrots, and onions (and parsnips and turnips if you are adventurous) into the cooking pot and boil for 30 minutes. Add 1 head of green cabbage, cut in wedges, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Put the meat back in just long enough to heat it through again. Serve.

I will be the first to admit that canned corned beef hash resembles dogfood. Real corned beef is magnificent, and so is real corned beef hash.That odd Brit concoction with brown sauce and mushrooms? Not corned beef hash at all.

Edited by cathyy

I'll direct the thread back to corned beef.

Since nobody else has posted a recipe for American corned beef hash to counter that nasty-sounding Brit recipe, I will.

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onions

3 cups cooked corned beef, in 1/2 inch chunks

2 to 3 cups of veggies, primarily potatoes, with some carrot (and parsnip or turnip if you are adventurous) cooked and cut in 1/2 inch cubes. Most people just use the potatoes and carrots.

Cook the onions in the oil over medium-high heat until they are lightly browned. Add the corned beef and veggies. Stir once, reduce heat to medium, and press mixture down firmly with spatula. Let cook undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bottom is well-browned. Invert on serving plate, garnish with parsley. Poached eggs may be served on top.

The best way to get all the ingedients for corned beef hash is to make New England Boiled Dinner first. Corned beef hash is made with the leftovers from this dinner.

Just throw a hunk of corned beef into a large pot. When it is cooked, take it out. Put peeled and quartered potatoes, carrots, and onions (and parsnips and turnips if you are adventurous) into the cooking pot and boil for 30 minutes. Add 1 head of green cabbage, cut in wedges, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Put the meat back in just long enough to heat it through again. Serve.

I will be the first to admit that canned corned beef hash resembles dogfood. Real corned beef is magnificent, and so is real corned beef hash.That odd Brit concoction with brown sauce and mushrooms? Not corned beef hash at all.

Thank you for that. I'll cook some up and see what Boom thinks of it. (Boom's the Pub dog)

Then there is the Ozzie recipe:

Get some Beef

Get some Corn

Get some V.B. or Coopers

Give the Beef to the dog

Give the Corn to the chickens

Drink the beer.

Go back to the start.

Edited by lampard10

A couple of months ago I went to see RC and took a leg of lamb and he cooked a wonderful roast lamb dinner but then I had to come back home to my wifes very good Thai cooking using either the 2 burner gas griller or the charcoal burner.

I must see RC again next month as I have started drooling with the thought of it.

You bring the lamb mate and I'll be happy to cook the dinner :o
Where are you guys located? A lamb roast is worth a trip!
I'm In Nakorn Sawan and Bill is in Kampengpet...anyone bringing meat is always welcome :D

RC

To keep this on thread. I will be in BKK this week but I will be down on an overnight pass from the wife before Songkran.

How do you want the corned beef. Shoulder or leg from New Zealand?

• 2 months later...

I don't think much of corned beef, corned beef hash is delish!

Is corned beef hash just an American thing? :o

No Corned Beef Hash is English.

Ingrediants: A tin of Tomatoes, tin of Mushrooms, tin of Corned Beef, tin of Baked Beans, onions, cubed Potatoes, salt & pepper, Worcester sauce, Demi-brown sauce mix.

Mix the Demi-brown to make a not too thick sauce. Crush the tomatoes and add(you can use fresh diced tomatoes, but I don't find them as tasty)put in salt and pepper, worcester sauce to taste. add the tin of Corned Beef, cut into small sqares,add the onions( and garlic), add baked beans, mushrooms. Simmer for 20 mins. Do not stir. Add potatoes, cook for further 5 mins. Voila. Corned Beef hash. My customers love it. I did serve it to an American Lady once, and she said " That's not Corned Beef Hash" Obviously different over there. The Northern Germans do their own version as well, called Labskaus.

the proper way to make it is par boil some potatoes when cool dice them up and fry them till just brown,remove from the pan then chop an onion up and fry till soft, dice the corn beef add it to the onion along with the potatoes some + salt and pepper fry till hot pile up on a plate and top with a fried egg or two.

Actually, I've got all the corned beef I need now. Some good soul put me in touch with Bunters of BKK, Howard there makes his own. I see it's back on the shelves in Pattaya now as well, although the new supply has not reached Sulin yet.