Mike's Burger Bar(s) And Miguels Mex Food

hatrick

To clarify - Mike no longer owns the Mikes Original Burger Bars - One year ago he sold the one at Thapae.

Miguels is Mike's new venture and is no way related to the Mike's Original Burger Bars

A courteous request when writing about either - please refer to the proper names to avoid confusion!

Thanks

To clarify - Mike no longer owns the Mikes Original Burger Bars - One year ago he sold the one at Thapae.

Miguels is Mike's new venture and is no way related to the Mike's Original Burger Bars

A courteous request when writing about either - please refer to the proper names to avoid confusion!

Thanks

Are you Mike btw? With this as your first post on TV, hmmm.... (i might be wrong though so quit the flaming if it starts)

Thanks

Are you Mike btw? With this as your first post on TV, hmmm.... (i might be wrong though so quit the flaming if it starts)

A good example of confusion - i am the owner of Mike's Burger Bars - not Mike of Miguels!!

Thanks

A good example of confusion - i am the owner of Mike's Burger Bars - not Mike of Miguels!!

ahhh ok .. got it. Well nice to meet you. I enjoy your burgers a lot just so that you don't confuse me with someone who doesn't. But welcome to TV!. Look forward to more posts from you. :o

Thanks

ahhh ok .. got it. Well nice to meet you. I enjoy your burgers a lot just so that you don't confuse me with someone who doesn't. But welcome to TV!. Look forward to more posts from you. :o

Thank you for your welcome - first time on TV!!

Love those burgers!! Mike's is always my first meal and last meal when I am visiting Chiang Mai (and several in-between meals if we are there for a few days). Your staff are very nice people and I think it is hilarious that one of your cooks is a vegetarian. :o

I'd eat at Mike's if there was a veggie burger option. I know some people think you have to have a separate grill & everything but I'm not that hardcore. Anyway, I had a couple of burgers there in my former, sinful, meat-eating days. They were good, but the best in my opinion are the onion rings.

I wish that someone in CM made a decent veggieburger.

They were quite good in San Francisco with a tofu base, but here everyone makes them of something like crushed nuts with the texture of warm peanut butter. Blechhh! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

They were quite good in San Francisco with a tofu base, but here everyone makes them of something like crushed nuts with the texture of warm peanut butter. Blechhh! :o

I agree 100%! In fact, when I used to have a kitchen I began experiments in making my own. My thought was that if I came up with a good recipe, I could take the product around to some restaurants & see if I had any takers. Unfortunately, I got booted out of my house & now I'm back in one room - no space for my mad-veggie scientist exploits.

I agree 100%! In fact, when I used to have a kitchen I began experiments in making my own. My thought was that if I came up with a good recipe, I could take the product around to some restaurants & see if I had any takers. Unfortunately, I got booted out of my house & now I'm back in one room - no space for my mad-veggie scientist exploits.

I would be happy to have a vegetarian option on the menu - vegetarians know what they like so fire away with some good recipes - but please definitely not the nut cutlet type.

I'd eat at Mike's if there was a veggie burger option. I know some people think you have to have a separate grill & everything but I'm not that hardcore. Anyway, I had a couple of burgers there in my former, sinful, meat-eating days. They were good, but the best in my opinion are the onion rings.

Interesting comments - thank you - tell me the requirements to meet the needs of vegetarians who like yourself are not too hardcore - i have tried many products but as yet nothing which is more than bland.

Interesting comments - thank you - tell me the requirements to meet the needs of vegetarians who like yourself are not too hardcore - i have tried many products but as yet nothing which is more than bland.

To me, a decent vegie burger is more about texture. Firm on the inside, with an outer crust. Taste is secondary, but as long as it's not a horrible taste, I'll try it. I had a lentil burger 30 years ago which was quite tasty. :o

To me, a decent vegie burger is more about texture. Firm on the inside, with an outer crust. Taste is secondary, but as long as it's not a horrible taste, I'll try it. I had a lentil burger 30 years ago which was quite tasty. :o

the indian recipes of making vegetarian burgers are good. with some of the masala in the vege mix(or maybe no need masala or curry powder), you can't go wrong. mostly made of either lentils, potato, cauliflower, soybean stuff, or some vegetarian kofta mix. it would not be typical "Western Burger" but sure to match some of the vegetarian needs for a tasty yummy and not so bland burger. unless your customers rather have just pure western styles of cooking it. just a suggestion. i am definately a meat eater and aint complaining :D

while i am at suggestions, there is one seat which is a bit too close to the counter.. do something about it .. :D .. i get jammed in there sometimes.

but i have to comment that your staff that work there are full of joy. especially if you know some thai. they can crack some jokes. they surely remember what the customers prefer in their orders.

Friendly staff, lovely double cheeseburgers (have to forget about the diet whilst eating this one) and the onion rings have been vastly improved from the earlier version. Borderline hot dogs and I have yet to try the chilli – maybe tonight!

However, still prefer Thai food but need a junk food fix occasionally. :o

I would be happy to have a vegetarian option on the menu - vegetarians know what they like so fire away with some good recipes - but please definitely not the nut cutlet type.

i'm a veg and have never been to mikes burgers. if you had a veggie burger, i'd probably stop in for a meal once or twice a month....i miss onion rings, and milkshakes, etc...

i'd recommend not cooking your veg burgers on the grill, as this will put off more than a few vegetarians..... there was a restaurant i went to in the states that would put a skillet on the grill which was only for cooking veg products. failing that, heat them up in the microwave.

IMO most western vegetarians still enjoy eating traditional western meals (comfort food), just without the meat.

What about Mike's Tacos? You have to admit that it's much better than Mike's Burgers.

At least at at Mike's Tacos he is giving his own sweat. In my opinion Mike's Tacos is better than Mike's Burgers.

Talking to yourself? :o

i'd recommend not cooking your veg burgers on the grill, as this will put off more than a few vegetarians..... there was a restaurant i went to in the states that would put a skillet on the grill which was only for cooking veg products. failing that, heat them up in the microwave.

The skillet sounds like a good idea - simple, cheap, pleases everyone. The microwave, in my opinion, is a very bad idea. As was mentioned before, texture is key when it comes to veggie burgers & nothing kills texture like a microwave. No, I want my burger grilled please.

As for recipes/styles, it seems there are 2 schools when it comes to veggie burgers: there are those who like something that somewhat approximates the taste & texture of meat, and there are those who just go for something that tastes good & can be shaped into a patty without falling apart. I can enjoy either but at Mike's I would prefer the former - something like a Boca burger (available in the states). I think for this kind of burger the best base is TVP (textured vegetable protein). Not sure where you can get that in Chiang Mai but seitan, a wheat-based fake meat, & other as yet unidentified (by me) meat substitutes are readily available at veg restaurants in town.

The skillet sounds like a good idea - simple, cheap, pleases everyone. The microwave, in my opinion, is a very bad idea. As was mentioned before, texture is key when it comes to veggie burgers & nothing kills texture like a microwave. No, I want my burger grilled please.

As for recipes/styles, it seems there are 2 schools when it comes to veggie burgers: there are those who like something that somewhat approximates the taste & texture of meat, and there are those who just go for something that tastes good & can be shaped into a patty without falling apart. I can enjoy either but at Mike's I would prefer the former - something like a Boca burger (available in the states). I think for this kind of burger the best base is TVP (textured vegetable protein). Not sure where you can get that in Chiang Mai but seitan, a wheat-based fake meat, & other as yet unidentified (by me) meat substitutes are readily available at veg restaurants in town.

Thank you for your comments which are all helpful - i will make an announcement as soon as we have a product.

What about Mike's Tacos? You have to admit that it's much better than Mike's Burgers.

I haven't been going to Miguel's because I am on a vegetarian diet, however a good customer came in my store today and was raving about how good it is.

He says that he ran restaurants in the U.S. for many years and even ran a Mexican restaurant in Mexico and that he feels that Miguel's is "spot on".

Makes me look forward to eating real food again! :o

I haven't been going to Miguel's because I am on a vegetarian diet, however a good customer came in my store today and was raving about how good it is.

He says that he ran restaurants in the U.S. for many years and even ran a Mexican restaurant in Mexico and that he feels that Miguel's is "spot on".

Makes me look forward to eating real food again! :D

:o

Love those burgers!! Mike's is always my first meal and last meal when I am visiting Chiang Mai (and several in-between meals if we are there for a few days). Your staff are very nice people and I think it is hilarious that one of your cooks is a vegetarian. :o

Had one last night following my yearly inspection visit of the Spotlight book shop....saved my life...

Couple of smelly noisy B-Ps hanging about but was worth it......lov-lay grub. :D