Makro Membership Requirements?

Genericnic

I was thinking of getting a Makro membership but when I checked the website, it seems that memberships are limited to businesses. Since I am on a retirement visa, I don't qualify if that is the case. Did I read the requirements wrong or is membership limited to businesses?

Thanks

David

Not a resident of Chang Mai, but my wife applied for a card in Buriram and she got it without any paperwork. (only copy ID card)

I think the difference when you apply as a Business you will get a detailed printout (A4) with VAT etc etc but as a non-Business you just get a BIG C style receipt.

Edit: // Added PS

PS: Just re-read your OP, sorry don't know anything about applying as a foreigner. (But my guess it's difficult as with everything else wink.png )

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Not a resident of Chang Mai, but my wife applied for a card in Buriram and she got it without any paperwork. (only copy ID card)

I think the difference when you apply as a Business you will get a detailed printout (A4) with VAT etc etc but as a non-Business you just get a BIG C style receipt.

Thanks MJCM.

A Big C style receipt would work fine for me.

David

I joined in about 30 seconds. Showed them my BKK bank VISA card, filled in the form and was given a card on the spot.

However, I have been told that some stores are not so easy-going. I got mine at Makro Mae Rim.

As Makro do not use credit cards, it was probably only proof of name maybe.

I've not been able to figure out how to get their regular sales sheet though. I think it's also on line.

• Like 1

As I understood, anyone can get what they call a temporary card, maybe lasts a month and thats really for tourists, short stayers, but for my card I had to show I was affiliated to a business and for that they accepted my tax number and passport.

this was the makro on the superhighway.

As I understood, anyone can get what they call a temporary card, maybe lasts a month and thats really for tourists, short stayers, but for my card I had to show I was affiliated to a business and for that they accepted my tax number and passport.

this was the makro on the superhighway.

Nope, I didn't have any of that, got it last year, still works.

Last time I was there, the two customers in the checkout queue in front me just said "mai mee" when asked for their card and were served without any problem.

Years ago, when my father tried to use his UK Makro card here, he wasn't allowed to, but the manager helpfully just put through the purchases using his own card. Don't think you'll have many problems ;-)

TIT.

I walked in to Makro Mae Rim, the girl on the info desk called me over and asked me to apply for a card.

Only wanted my name and address, that was it.

Sounds like it is worth a ride out to Mae Rim. Need to run some errands tomorrow anyway.

David

I got my card over 1 year ago without any id.

When I shop at the super highway (11) branch, I see enough people shopping there without a card.

I have not seen any benefit for myself.

I pay the same whether I present the card or not.

I have always wondered what was the purpose of this card.

Perhaps if you register yourself as a business purchaser, you get a discount.

• Like 1

I go to the Macro near Hang Dong about five or six times a year -- I just ask for a temporary membership at the desk and they hand me a paper slip that I show at the cash register. They never ask address or anything. Someone told me that they have a two-tier pricing system for their membership -- with foreigners actually paying less. I guess they think they'll make up the difference with all the salmon and cheese we buy instead of the Thai business who seem to be stocking their Ma-and-Pa stores in the villages with cases of fish sauce and palm oil.

I understand that at the one here in Patong you just have to go to the security type desk as you go in, tell them you don't have a card and they issue a visitor pass for that visit only.

Not tried it myself to be honest as I am still pretty well stocked up but next month...yes, I'll. have a go.

I used to ask for a day pass and was no problem, now I just go to the checkout and say "Sorry I've no card"

I tend to use the one on Hang Dong road as it has all the goods I personally need, been to all the other ones in Chiang Mai but prefer the Hang Dong road one.

We got a Makro membership Card at Hang Dong 5 years ago. Showed wife's ID card and gave them our address and phone no.Back then we were asked to spend a min of 1,000 b on our first purchase,that may well have changed.

We get a monthly mailing of specials and the Hang Dong store,over time, has become far more falang friendly with addition of a cheese ,cold meat section just inside the door and a bigger range of imported products. Actually at Hang Dong we are quite spoiled with Big C ,Makro, Tesco all within minutes of each other and a new Rimping store about to open adjacent to Ma Hia Market

When Makro opened their first store in CM (Superhighway branch about 20 years ago) it was essential to have a business and to become a member. This 'exclusivity' was quite a draw in those days and of course the idea was that Mom & Pop stores could buy in bulk (that's the idea of Makro) and sell to the public...who couldn't buy the same products themselves at that price.

Since then the strict policy has slipped and as other posters have pointed out, you no longer require a business membership. In fact you don't require any membership and can just walk in.

Benefits of a business membership: you get a full VAT receipt that can be used for tax purposes to reclaim the VAT on VAT allowable purchases each month. I've claimed back a small fortune over the past 20 years from that and of course it is a benefit.

Benefits of a private membership: you get their flyers in the post giving you a heads up on special offers. This may or may not be of interest.

Benefits to Makro of you getting a membership: market research and opportunity to advertise directly to you.

• Like 1

Things may change soon anyway. From a few weeks ago:

Billionaire Dhanin
Chearavanont’s CP All
(CPALL)
Pcl, owner of Thailand’s 7-Eleven chain, offered to pay about $6.6 billion
for discount retailer Siam Makro Pcl
(MAKRO)
in the biggest takeover announced in Asia this year.

CP All, controlled by Dhanin’s Charoen Pokphand Group, agreed to pay 787 baht
a share for the 64 percent of Siam Makro owned by SHV Holdings NV, the company
said today. It will also make a tender offer to other shareholders at the same
price, a 15 percent premium to Siam Makro’s share price of 682 baht before it
was suspended from trading yesterday.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-23/cp-all-offers-6-6-billion-for-thai-retailer-siam-makro.html

Billionaire Dhanin

Chearavanont’s CP All

(CPALL) Pcl, owner of Thailand’s 7-Eleven chain, offered to pay about $6.6 billion

(MAKRO) in the biggest takeover announced in Asia this year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-23/cp-all-offers-6-6-billion-for-thai-retailer-siam-makro.html

If they start charging 7-11 prices they're finished

Billionaire Dhanin

Chearavanont’s CP All

(CPALL) Pcl, owner of Thailand’s 7-Eleven chain, offered to pay about $6.6 billion

(MAKRO) in the biggest takeover announced in Asia this year.

CP are just buying back what they used to own,but had to sell when the bubble burst,in what was it 1998 ?

regards Worgeordie

We were told that to get a business card you had to first deposit 10 000.-, presumably they get credit up to that limit and a bill every month.

Whenever I'm in the queue behind business buyers they nearly always pay with fistfuls of folded 20 baht notes.