Good Places To Eat In Surin Town

ColinChapman

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very nice Swiss restaurant. Quite near big c in the Same road as the private dentist

Thanks for the advice but I don't know Surin at all. Do you have a street name or soi number that I can use in my sat nav or even a restaurant name I can Google? Sounds nice and I'd like to try it ifi can find it.

hi havent been there for a few years now, but farang conection used to be good, havnt been in since martin passed away,

jake

Starbeams is by far the best western restaurant in town in my opinion.

Food, prices and service are excellent. They have airconditioning. free wifi and if you smoke you need to smoke outside.

They have seating both inside and outside their restaurant. Plenty of parking available.

Farang Connection have good food and good service and free wifi. They have no airconditioning and they allow smokers to smoke inside their restaurant while customers are eating. Their food prices are high compared to other places in town,

You have a choice of sitting inside or outside their restaurant. Plenty of parking but the whole area can be quite congested at times as the restaurant is located close to the bus station and is in a busy area. Most afternoons you have many locals drinking there.

Corner Cafe is a recent addition to Surin and again offers good food, good prices and excellent service. They have airconditioning, free wifi and have plenty of parking available. Smokers need to smoke outside. Customers have a choice of sitting inside or outside. They have tables and chairs there as well as comfortable lounges to sit on.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

hi havent been there for a few years now, but farang conection used to be good, havnt been in since martin passed away,

jake

Food, prices and service are excellent. They have airconditioning. free wifi and if you smoke you need to smoke outside.

They have seating both inside and outside their restaurant. Plenty of parking available.

Farang Connection have good food and good service and free wifi. They have no airconditioning and they allow smokers to smoke inside their restaurant while customers are eating. Their food prices are high compared to other places in town,

You have a choice of sitting inside or outside their restaurant. Plenty of parking but the whole area can be quite congested at times as the restaurant is located close to the bus station and is in a busy area. Most afternoons you have many locals drinking there.

Corner Cafe is a recent addition to Surin and again offers good food, good prices and excellent service. They have airconditioning, free wifi and have plenty of parking available. Smokers need to smoke outside. Customers have a choice of sitting inside or outside. They have tables and chairs there as well as comfortable lounges to sit on.

A good summary of the main restaurants.

Farang Connection are expensive for average fare and trade on their location - and 'reputation'. Not sure if wifi is free.

Starbeams consistently turn out decent food at fair prices and you have the choice of aircon.

Corner Coffee is a welcome addition and is expanding it's range of food.

jake

Farang Connection are expensive for average fare and trade on their location - and 'reputation'. Not sure if wifi is free.

Starbeams consistently turn out decent food at fair prices and you have the choice of aircon.

Farang Connections Full English Breakfast is 170 baht and Starbeams is 200 Baht so I can't agree on some of the pricing quotes given but as I have never eaten at Starbeam's I can't give my opinion on the comparisons on menu prices apart from the breakfast price that has been advertised locally.......also FC's wifi is free, so there is another miss quote. Most Wifi is free in restaurants and I don't know of one that is charging for the service.

There does seem to be plenty of competition for the local western trade and some restaurants owners have asked their friends to use forums,tripadvisor and Lonely Planet guides to spam their business to up their profile.

So IHMO ,I would say to the OP .....Try the places yourself and make your own mind up as some reports and reviews you read are of a bias nature...I think you will find all the four places I posted links to in my post above offer very good fare but as we well know tastes vary like opinions

Edited by boloa
  • Like 1

boloa, on 24 May 2013 - 09:04, said:

Patronus, on 24 May 2013 - 08:07, said:

tlcwaterfall, on 24 May 2013 - 07:34, said:

pigeonjake, on 20 May 2013 - 19:30, said:

jake

Farang Connections Full English Breakfast is 170 baht and Starbeams is 200 Baht so I can't agree on some of the pricing quotes given but as I have never eaten at Starbeam's I can't give my opinion on the comparisons on menu prices apart from the breakfast price that has been advertised locally.......also FC's wifi is free, so there is another miss quote. Most Wifi is free in restaurants and I don't know of one that is charging for the service.

There does seem to be plenty of competition for the local western trade and some restaurants owners have asked their friends to use forums,tripadvisor and Lonely Planet guides to spam their business to up their profile.

So IHMO ,I would say to the OP .....Try the places yourself and make your own mind up as some reports and reviews you read are of a bias nature...I think you will find all the four places I posted links to in my post above offer very good fare but as we well know tastes vary like opinions

Just to give you some more information. Farang connections Pad Krapow Gai with rice and fried egg is 125 baht. Same meal at Starbeams is 70 baht. At Corner cafe the price is 50 baht. And remember both Starbeams and Corner cafe have airconditioning and are non smoking inside the restaurant. Farang Connection pie and mashed potatoes is 250 baht. Corner cafe price is 125 baht. I can continue to quote more prices if you wishsmile.png And yes I do like my foodbiggrin.png

Overall the Farang connections food prices are much higher than other places in town. I know this as I visit many of the restaurants every week. You are correct re the price comparison of the breakfasts. And the Farang Connections breakfasts (140 baht for small breakfast and 170 baht for large) represents excellent value and both meals have large portions and good quality ingredients.

Good idea to try the places yourself and then you will find a place that is to your liking.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

If you are going to start talking about Thai food I can tell you of loads of places that are far cheaper that any western restaurant.As with most restaurants you can't quote like for like as quite often there are not.

As I have done in other posts I like to just give website info and let the OP make his own mind up...I will leave the reviews to the Egon Ronay's of this world like you Tic biggrin.png

Edited by boloa

If you are going to start talking about Thai food I can tell you of loads of places that are far cheaper that any western restaurant.As with most restaurants you can't quote like for like as quite often there are not.

As I have done in other posts I like to just give website info and let the OP make his own mind up...I will leave the reviews to the Egon Ronay's of this world like you Tic biggrin.png

Another excellent post from you. The purpose of me quoting the price of the Thai dish was to illustrate a point as to the massive price differences between the three places I was talking about. You will note I also quoted the massive price difference between the western dish as well.

Of course we can all obtain Thai dishes at a cheaper price elsewhere but the Op did ask about western restaurants! Did you forget that? And I am giving my opinion about the three places I know about.

As for the below comment I will simply say If you don't appreciate my opinions so be it. Everything I have said is the truth and easily verified by visiting the said places.

"As I have done in other posts I like to just give website info and let the OP make his own mind up...I will leave the reviews to the Egon Ronay's of this world like you Tic biggrin.png"

Most people asking for information do appreciate others opinions as well as links, did you know this?

All the best to you mate and I am sure you have contributed in a worthwhile manner to the Op's original question.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

quote from tic.....

"Of course we can all obtain Thai dishes at a cheaper price elsewhere but the Op did ask about western restaurants! Did you forget that?"

I can only assume if someone asks about the western restaurant they want western food.If he had asked about a Thai restaurant would you start going on about the price of Pie and Mash ....get a grip Tic laugh.png

quote from tic.....

"Of course we can all obtain Thai dishes at a cheaper price elsewhere but the Op did ask about western restaurants! Did you forget that?"

I can only assume if someone asks about the western restaurant they want western food.If he had asked about a Thai restaurant would you start going on about the price of Pie and Mash ....get a grip Tic laugh.png

No further comment from me mate. Enjoy your day. Peace brothersmile.png

• Like 1

also FC's wifi is free, so there is another miss quote.

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by DILLIGAD

I have eaten at all of the establishments listed above and can honestly say that they are all unique in their own way. The owner of Starbeams is a personal friend of mine and offers a lot for the western palate, but the other places listed above have their specialties as well.

FC is under new mangment and are making changes for the good. There was a long lull after Martin passed, but the place has recently started to pick up with new items being added to the menu. The staff is very polite and attentive as well.

Since people have different tastes and it is good to have variety,I would suggest giving them all a try IMHO.

• Like 1

I would recommend Green Mango located just across the bus station from Farang Connection. It has excellent food (good menu) good friendly service and free wifi although it is not air conditioned. I have eaten there on at least 3 or 4 different occasions and have always had a good meal.

I have eaten at all of the establishments listed above and can honestly say that they are all unique in their own way. The owner of Starbeams is a personal friend of mine and offers a lot for the western palate, but the other places listed above have their specialties as well.

FC is under new mangment and are making changes for the good. There was a long lull after Martin passed, but the place has recently started to pick up with new items being added to the menu. The staff is very polite and attentive as well.

Since people have different tastes and it is good to have variety,I would suggest giving them all a try IMHO.

The highlighted quote seems to be the general consensus off all those that have posted .............apart from a few whistling.gif

Edited by boloa
  • Like 1

I can recommend "Farang Connection" as previously mentioned here also, near to the bus station and Majestic Grande hotel. Speak good English and made me the best Larb I had that far south in Isaan.. really great. Not expensive either.. They have quite a big menu if you do not like Larb (it is pretty much all I eat in Thailand because I love it so much). When I was there the staff were all Thai, which is really nice in that part of town.

You can also ask the locals in Surin, the Farang in Surin seemed a lot friendlier than other locals around Isaan, open to pointing me in the right direction and asked for nothing in return.

Hope that you love Surin as much as I did Colin (assuming you are visiting rather than living there already), it reminded me of aspects of Thailand I love which are so hard to find now. The only thing missing is a major mall, so you will need to travel between places to get the things you need, be prepared for that :)

• Like 1

There are a lot of great places to eat in Surin... I agree with most here... stay awhile and try them all.

I'm sure you'll find the Thai and Western food in Surin to be some of the best in Thailand!

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO

I haven't been to Surin for a long time. I used to go regularly for a weekend . Stay at the Thong Tharin, eat at usually starbeam, then have a walk around and a few beers at different bars. It sounds like it may be worth paying another visit. When people say that the FC is under new management, does that mean new owners, or just someone running it for the same owners. And lastly, I see norbie's have finally woken up, and introduced new opening hours. Has he finally got rid of all those plants outside, and actually given the inside a lick of paint and tidied it up a bit. I always thought this bar had the potential to be the best farang bar in Surin.

There are a lot of great places to eat in Surin... I agree with most here... stay awhile and try them all.

I'm sure you'll find the Thai and Western food in Surin to be some of the best in Thailand!

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO

I said "some of the best" there's a great mix of food from all over Asian and the West! wai2.gif

I haven't been to Surin for a long time. I used to go regularly for a weekend . Stay at the Thong Tharin, eat at usually starbeam, then have a walk around and a few beers at different bars. It sounds like it may be worth paying another visit. When people say that the FC is under new management, does that mean new owners, or just someone running it for the same owners. And lastly, I see norbie's have finally woken up, and introduced new opening hours. Has he finally got rid of all those plants outside, and actually given the inside a lick of paint and tidied it up a bit. I always thought this bar had the potential to be the best farang bar in Surin.

The FC has the same owner, but new manager and new staff... menu being upgraded and the inside of the place is being improved too. Some people are very happy about this while others... well they're not so happy...

IMO when Martain had the FC he produced the BEST hamburger in Thailand par non. Hope the FC can bring this back as no body in the area comes close.

I think I said "some of the best" oops... my bad for the double posting... sorry!

Edited by brimacthai
  • Like 1