Good Places To Eat In Surin Town

ColinChapman

There are a lot of great places to eat in Surin... I agree with most here... stay awhile and try them all.

I'm sure you'll find the Thai and Western food in Surin to be some of the best in Thailand!

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO

IMO when Martain had the FC he produced the BEST hamburger in Thailand par non. Hope the FC can bring this back as no body in the area comes close.

I agree with that... I put on a couple of kg's eating them, hahaha! Yes they have had a few people comment on the new burgers (good comments of course). Maybe worth a try next time you're there.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of great places to eat in Surin... I agree with most here... stay awhile and try them all.

I'm sure you'll find the Thai and Western food in Surin to be some of the best in Thailand!

but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Depends on what i fancy whilst in the City centre.

Starbeams- International food, His Subs, Mexican food and Burgers in my view are excellent.

Lorenzinos- Swiss Guy. Delicious Lasagne.

Haka Zhou- Japanese food. I probably go here the most.

Sydney Seasons- Love the Salads and Mussels here.

All the restaurants above obviously have alot more on their menu, and there are plenty of other Western establishments in the City but i don't usually go to them.

• Like 2

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Better put your glasses back on mate... right above your own statement it clearly says... "some of the best" ... and at no time have I ever mentioned it was maybe the best in Thailand.

Edited by brimacthai
  • Like 1

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Better put your glasses back on mate... right above your own statement it clearly says... "some of the best" ... and at no time have I ever mentioned it was maybe the best in Thailand.
Bri

There is a very small clic' of like minded people who seem to all meet up in one place a couple of times a month (when they can afford it). They seem to think that it is some sort of excusive society whereby if they visit another place, it lets down the side. That said, it is by no way the fault of this establishments owner because, after all in his eyes they are mere customers.

You are better off without them at FC, Brimacthai as they will drag you down to their level.

I wish you every success with The Farang Connection.

• Like 2

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Bri

There is a very small clic' of like minded people who seem to all meet up in one place a couple of times a month (when they can afford it). They seem to think that it is some sort of excusive society whereby if they visit another place, it lets down the side. That said, it is by no way the fault of this establishments owner because, after all in his eyes they are mere customers.

You are better off without them at FC, Brimacthai as they will drag you down to their level.

I wish you every success with The Farang Connection.

Thanks for the good wishes for the FC. There are a few that like to complain about it (the FC)... most of them never go there but they still like to complain.

They also have a go at me but none of them have ever met me... I can understand having a go once you've met me... at least then you've got some real material to work with and not some rubbish others have said that may or may not be true!

• Like 1

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO

I think I said "some of the best" oops... my bad for the double posting... sorry!

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

I think I said "some of the best" oops... my bad for the double posting... sorry!

It's good but I wouldn't go that far as to say its maybe the best in Thailand IMO coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Actually I think the Thai and foreign food in the Surin area is the best in Thailand...I just love it! Of course that's my opinion based on 8 years living in Thailand and dining at many restaurants... I still think the food here in the Surin area is the best!

• 1 month later...

Brimacthai, 4 of us went to the FC at 12-30pm saturday lunchtime, we decided to order drinks first, so it was 4 San Miguel light please, sorry no have said the girl. OK 4 Singha's please, sorry no have said the girl, finally 4 Tiger beers please, and you guessed it.............sorry no have. We didn't even bother asking about food, because if you cant keep your drinks stocked then there doesn't seem much hope for the food, or for the future of the FC. We were the only customers in there. We left and went to the Green Mango, where we got the food and drinks that we wanted, although I have to say the food was less than average. But I did notice 3 guys sat at another table hust drinking and chatting, and i wondered if these were the same guys that used to sit in the FC each day. How i wish we had taken the time to walk to the starbeam.

How i wish we had taken the time to walk to the starbeam.

Sound like a line from the song "Somewhere over the rainbow"

You wont have that option for much longer as it closes down this week leaving a big void in Surin farang eating options

Edited by DILLIGAD

You wont have that option for much longer as it closes down this week leaving a big void in Surin farang eating options

Yes sad really! I'm happy I had nachos at Starbeam on Saturday. A delicious farewell..............biggrin.png

• Like 2

Yes I know the Starbeam closes soon, i was told it was to have been 1st August, but now he will carry on until the 5th. The point is that with the Starbeam closing you would have thought that FC would be really pushing to pick up the extra trade, or maybe they are so arrogant as to think the extra customers will go to them anyway. Either way if they carry on in this manner I think we will soon see the end of the FC.

Yes I know the Starbeam closes soon, i was told it was to have been 1st August, but now he will carry on until the 5th. The point is that with the Starbeam closing you would have thought that FC would be really pushing to pick up the extra trade, or maybe they are so arrogant as to think the extra customers will go to them anyway. Either way if they carry on in this manner I think we will soon see the end of the FC.

I very much doubt we will see the end of FC. It has been going for ages and it will continue.

I appreciate that you had a bad experience but that is only one time.

Have you not been in there before and had a good experience? Were you not once involved with the new ideas???

Puchooay, sadly my only other experience with the FC was much the same, only that time they didn't have several meals that we wanted.The only reason i went back this time was because Brimacthai was singing the praises of the place.

And yes I was once asked by the same person if I would go and meet him at the FC, and give him some ideas that would help out the lady owner. I made the trip(160 k's) round trip but the lady owner could not even bother coming downstairs for the meeting. But I spent over an hour explaining how I would change things, simple things like changing the menu, trimming it down to a reasonable manageable amount of dishes, also brightening the place up a bit. But the first thing he needed to do was to retrain or replace the staff they had, as the ones they had at the time weren't very friendly and even less experienced.

I was glad to see that they managed to get back the girl who worked there before (Neean) sorry about the spelling. She was very good with the customers, and also a good cook. But I hear she is now working elsewhere.

He never got back to me, so I presumed that he wasn't bothering getting involved, must say I was surprised on saturday that he had took my advice on the menu, it was a lot smaller, but he seemed to have taken off some of the basic english dishes, maybe I didn't look hard enough but i was sure that there were no fish and chip on the menu.

ANyway Puchooay, this is only my opinion, but I would say it is still a long way from it's former popularity, and you know the old saying "It's easy to lose customers, but it's a hell of a lot harder to get them back" I hope i am wrong and it does return to it's past glories, but they need someone who has had experience running bar/restaurants to push them along.

Was disappointed by the food (and beer) options at the FC menu a couple of weeks back. Had a few Singhas and went elsewhere to eat........................sad.png

Unfortunately the "best " place to get a decent meal with a lot of choices here in Surin has suffered a major drop with the closing of Starbeam Restauant. The FC is now nothing but a former shadow of itself. Redacted menu, higher prices and the same sub standard health issues. For those on a budget the choices have been limited to the Green Mango, Coffee Corner,the Green Terrace. Going up a bit on the price point you can't go wrong with Sydney Seasons or Lorenzino's. There are a few other options but IMO they aren't worth the bother.

So I can only say that if anyone says that i am biased I have to reply here, Last time it got me banned,because I dared to critiscie the FC, but can anyone really tell me that it is as good as it used to be.

I can only say, that if anyone believes that is so, then they are very disillusnioned. For me, if i ever wanted to buy a bar in surin, and make it 100% profritable, it would have to be "Norbi's Bar". But I really care about Surin, because this is the place that i love to come for a weekend visit. Sadly whenever i go there at nightime, the only place i see any farangs is in the sportsman bar.

So I can only say that if anyone says that i am biased I have to reply here, Last time it got me banned,because I dared to critiscie the FC, but can anyone really tell me that it is as good as it used to be.

I can only say, that if anyone believes that is so, then they are very disillusnioned. For me, if i ever wanted to buy a bar in surin, and make it 100% profritable, it would have to be "Norbi's Bar". But I really care about Surin, because this is the place that i love to come for a weekend visit. Sadly whenever i go there at nightime, the only place i see any farangs is in the sportsman bar.

I agree with you re FC. Martin WAS the FC and even if you loathed the guy, he was sometimes very outspoken but a very good source if local information to anybody who asked.

Where do you live HY2002? is there any other cities that you can go to to get your farang fix, if that's what rocks your boat????

Puchooay, sadly my only other experience with the FC was much the same, only that time they didn't have several meals that we wanted.The only reason i went back this time was because Brimacthai was singing the praises of the place.

And yes I was once asked by the same person if I would go and meet him at the FC, and give him some ideas that would help out the lady owner. I made the trip(160 k's) round trip but the lady owner could not even bother coming downstairs for the meeting. But I spent over an hour explaining how I would change things, simple things like changing the menu, trimming it down to a reasonable manageable amount of dishes, also brightening the place up a bit. But the first thing he needed to do was to retrain or replace the staff they had, as the ones they had at the time weren't very friendly and even less experienced.

I was glad to see that they managed to get back the girl who worked there before (Neean) sorry about the spelling. She was very good with the customers, and also a good cook. But I hear she is now working elsewhere.

He never got back to me, so I presumed that he wasn't bothering getting involved, must say I was surprised on saturday that he had took my advice on the menu, it was a lot smaller, but he seemed to have taken off some of the basic english dishes, maybe I didn't look hard enough but i was sure that there were no fish and chip on the menu.

ANyway Puchooay, this is only my opinion, but I would say it is still a long way from it's former popularity, and you know the old saying "It's easy to lose customers, but it's a hell of a lot harder to get them back" I hope i am wrong and it does return to it's past glories, but they need someone who has had experience running bar/restaurants to push them along.

Rarely is it possible to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

FC would also do well look at it's premium prices versus it's less than premium product.

• Like 1

The discussion on here, and on local forums, suggests that there is a demand for the quality that Starbeam offered. Clearly, FC and others cannot step up to the plate, which leads me to think that there is an opportunity out there for someone to open a new business based on the Starbeam model.

• Like 1

The discussion on here, and on local forums, suggests that there is a demand for the quality that Starbeam offered. Clearly, FC and others cannot step up to the plate, which leads me to think that there is an opportunity out there for someone to open a new business based on the Starbeam model.

There you go Cardio, get that hard hat back in the cupboard and dust off your pinnie and coffee machine!!

• Like 1

There you go Cardio, get that hard hat back in the cupboard and dust off your pinnie and coffee machine!!

and by all appearances the new Robinson Mall is blowing it...

Depends on what i fancy whilst in the City centre.

Starbeams- International food, His Subs, Mexican food and Burgers in my view are excellent.

Lorenzinos- Swiss Guy. Delicious Lasagne.

Haka Zhou- Japanese food. I probably go here the most.

Sydney Seasons- Love the Salads and Mussels here.

All the restaurants above obviously have alot more on their menu, and there are plenty of other Western establishments in the City but i don't usually go to them.

I agree with you 100% other than I would put Norby's high on the list also.

I think people are missing the point here. Starbeams is/was a restuarant. As are the establishments listed in the post above this one. FC, Green Mango and Sports Bar are more places to go for a drink, initially anyway. Just because you don't like them it does not mean that they are crap.

Different places for different markets.

They have TV's there to watch sport, because that is what their customers want to do. There may be a bit of noise, as this is what happens when people watch sport. Some people smoke there and they sit near the door. Hardly noticable, I am an ex smoker too and it doesn't bother me.

I personally have never had a problem with the food in any places.

If this type of place is not for you then say, but it is unfair to say the places are crap and that there is nowhere to go in Surin, because there is.

Starbeams will indeed leave a void in the eating places in Surin. However, I am sure that the management at Starbeams have thought about this, and have still decided not to start again, at least in Surin town.

So come one. Lets look at the situation logically. As a Brit the best way for me to explain is that Starbeams is in the restaurant category, go for a meal and maybe have a drink too. The establishments around the bus station are more like pubs. Go for a drink and maybe have something to eat.

I have frequented all of the places mentioned on this thread and they all have their own attributes.

Shouldn't have a go just because of personal preference.

• Like 2