Good Places To Eat In Surin Town

ColinChapman

Yesterday, Tuesday, was Starbeams normal day off. Went to Norbie's had a beer 2 pm. Norbie had 5 customers. Then we went over to FC, FC had 18 customers. Most were eating and just a few having a beer, mixed crowd of farang male and female and farang male and Thai.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, Tuesday, was Starbeams normal day off. Went to Norbie's had a beer 2 pm. Norbie had 5 customers. Then we went over to FC, FC had 18 customers. Most were eating and just a few having a beer, mixed crowd of farang male and female and farang male and Thai.

and your point is ???

and your point is ???

This also is the crowd that FC will always get. Mixed crowd of male and female westerners would suggest tourists. Maybe staying in the Majestic, on the way to the Elephant village and maybe Phanom Rung, copy of Lonely Planet tucked under their arm. The oldest, most established places will get custom from tourists.

Western male and female Thai....well I know of a couple of guys that live out in the sticks. They come in on public transport, like a few beers so don't drive, wife goes shopping and hubby "waits" somewhere. After shopping wife comes to meet hubby has something to eat and they go home. A place near the bus station is the obvious choice for this.

To say that the FC's days are numbered I think are a bit short sighted.

This also is the crowd that FC will always get. Mixed crowd of male and female westerners would suggest tourists. Maybe staying in the Majestic, on the way to the Elephant village and maybe Phanom Rung, copy of Lonely Planet tucked under their arm. The oldest, most established places will get custom from tourists.

Western male and female Thai....well I know of a couple of guys that live out in the sticks. They come in on public transport, like a few beers so don't drive, wife goes shopping and hubby "waits" somewhere. After shopping wife comes to meet hubby has something to eat and they go home. A place near the bus station is the obvious choice for this.

Yes FC's location is very good! wink.png

Yes FC's location is very good! wink.png

Not really..

and your point is ???

Got your nickers in a knot hey...tongue.png

I think people are missing the point here. Starbeams is/was a restuarant. As are the establishments listed in the post above this one. FC, Green Mango and Sports Bar are more places to go for a drink, initially anyway. Just because you don't like them it does not mean that they are crap.

Different places for different markets.

They have TV's there to watch sport, because that is what their customers want to do. There may be a bit of noise, as this is what happens when people watch sport. Some people smoke there and they sit near the door. Hardly noticable, I am an ex smoker too and it doesn't bother me.

I personally have never had a problem with the food in any places.

If this type of place is not for you then say, but it is unfair to say the places are crap and that there is nowhere to go in Surin, because there is.

Starbeams will indeed leave a void in the eating places in Surin. However, I am sure that the management at Starbeams have thought about this, and have still decided not to start again, at least in Surin town.

So come one. Lets look at the situation logically. As a Brit the best way for me to explain is that Starbeams is in the restaurant category, go for a meal and maybe have a drink too. The establishments around the bus station are more like pubs. Go for a drink and maybe have something to eat.

I have frequented all of the places mentioned on this thread and they all have their own attributes.

Shouldn't have a go just because of personal preference.

A very well reasoned argument and I get the point entirely about FC being a bar that serves food vs Starbeams being a restaurant that serves drinks. Maybe this is an important point for anyone involved in the management of FC to grasp and, rather than look enviously at Starbeams, concentrate on the core market.

Thinking about it, when I have visited FC for a drink I have enjoyed it - when I have visited for a meal, I haven't.

I also believe that the FC will benefit from two main factors; it is located in the bus station so it will be an obvious venue for such travelers. These people often use Lonely Planet and Trip Adviser so the long-standing name of the FC will out it at the forefront of web searches etc.

I think people are missing the point here. Starbeams is/was a restuarant. As are the establishments listed in the post above this one. FC, Green Mango and Sports Bar are more places to go for a drink, initially anyway. Just because you don't like them it does not mean that they are crap.

They have TV's there to watch sport, because that is what their customers want to do. There may be a bit of noise, as this is what happens when people watch sport. Some people smoke there and they sit near the door. Hardly noticable, I am an ex smoker too and it doesn't bother me.

If this type of place is not for you then say, but it is unfair to say the places are crap and that there is nowhere to go in Surin, because there is.

Starbeams will indeed leave a void in the eating places in Surin. However, I am sure that the management at Starbeams have thought about this, and have still decided not to start again, at least in Surin town.

So come one. Lets look at the situation logically. As a Brit the best way for me to explain is that Starbeams is in the restaurant category, go for a meal and maybe have a drink too. The establishments around the bus station are more like pubs. Go for a drink and maybe have something to eat.

I have frequented all of the places mentioned on this thread and they all have their own attributes.

There are plenty of good places to get a drink in Surin. Sell 50 baht Archa and you will fill the place. The title of the thread is "Good places to EAT in Surin Town". For good Farang FOOD Starbeam, Norby's, Lorinzino,s or Sydney Seasons are the places to go.

There are plenty of good places to get a drink in Surin. Sell 50 baht Archa and you will fill the place. The title of the thread is "Good places to EAT in Surin Town". For good Farang FOOD Starbeam, Norby's, Lorinzino,s or Sydney Seasons are the places to go.

Most places in Surin sell archa, including Starbeam, so I don't really see your point.

The thread was opened with "can anyone recommend any good restaurants or pubs in Surin" . You have opined on here and so have I. All about places where you can eat or drink (ie. pubs or restaurants) in Surin. I was trying to even out the playing field so that the OP could decide for himself.

Edited by puchooay

Hi Everyone, OP here!

Thanks for all the help. Sorry that Starbeams is closing, had some excellent food there. My wife loves the Steak Bomb sandwich (for breakfast on one occasion!). We shall be in Surin this weekend, so will try for one final visit.

So, please can someone give directions to find these other places? I don't really know Surin, I know the railway station, Starbeams, FC and not much else.

Lorenzinos

Haka Zhou

Sydney Seasons

Thanks again.

Edited by ColinChapman

How i wish we had taken the time to walk to the starbeam.

Sound like a line from the song "Somewhere over the rainbow"

You wont have that option for much longer as it closes down this week leaving a big void in Surin farang eating options

Your comment reminds me of my home village in the UK. The owner has a small burger bar at street level called Rainbow and above but a little back from the road he has a posh (ish) restaurant called Somewhere. When visitors ask where the restaurant is they are told "Somewhere over the Rainbow". While I live south of Korat city, and quite a distance from Surin I have very much enjoyed reading about the good restaurants there. You have a much better choice than I have, we do have some nice out of city restaurants but it means travelling 25 to 50 km each way. In Korat we do have the Mall which is good and many chain restaurants which are very nice now and again. Many thanks for the many interesting posts. I have visited Staffords Foods just outside of Surin so next time I may venture in and try some of the recommendations, but not all the same day! :)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, OP here!

Thanks for all the help. Sorry that Starbeams is closing, had some excellent food there. My wife loves the Steak Bomb sandwich (for breakfast on one occasion!). We shall be in Surin this weekend, so will try for one final visit.

So, please can someone give directions to find these other places? I don't really know Surin, I know the railway station, Starbeams, FC and not much else.

Lorenzinos

Haka Zhou

Sydney Seasons

Thanks again.

Colin

I hope you have a good time in Surin but for fear of getting banned, one cannot post links to places where there are maps showing all those places mentioned (and more) where the Surinfarang's eat.

I hope you can maybe find a map on the interweb?????????

Edited by DILLIGAD

Hi Everyone, OP here!

Lorenzinos

Haka Zhou

Sydney Seasons

Thanks again.

Lorinzinos and Haka Zhou-

Go past Big C (Big C on the right) as you are coming into town. Go through the traffic light in front of Big C and take your next right along the klong. Lorinzinos is about a hundred meters down on the right, Haka Zhou is down a few hundred meters more from Lorinzinos on the right also.

Sydney Seasons is on 226 as you are heading out of town towards Buriram. After you pass the Memorial Hotel, Sydney Seasons is a few blocks more on the left.

Norby's is on Soi Kola near the Thong Tarin Hotel in the main city.

Edited by JoeInSurin

So I finally got into Surin. I got the bus from Rattanaburi to the town. Bus stops just before the bus station.

I think the places there serve their purpose really well. I had an English breakfast in Farang Connection. Very nice.

After having wizzed around Surin in a Tuk Tuk taking in BigC and the likes I got back to the bus. It wasn't leaving for a while so I went to the Sports Bar. I had a meat pie and a beer. That too was great.

All of this talk about nowhere to go. I can't believe you lot. These places are just what I needed.

So I finally got into Surin. I got the bus from Rattanaburi to the town. Bus stops just before the bus station.

I think the places there serve their purpose really well. I had an English breakfast in Farang Connection. Very nice.

After having wizzed around Surin in a Tuk Tuk taking in BigC and the likes I got back to the bus. It wasn't leaving for a while so I went to the Sports Bar. I had a meat pie and a beer. That too was great.

All of this talk about nowhere to go. I can't believe you lot. These places are just what I needed.

Who said there was nowhere to go? Surin has plenty of places to go. Farang Connection does a great English Breakfast. The Sports Bar like most places does the Staffords or Buriram Pie Man pies that are nice. If your looking for a plain English Breakfast or a microwaved meat pie you can get that anywhere. If you want German food, Pizza, fresh cooked breads, Imported Australian steaks, good salads, Italian food ect. all cooked from scratch you will have to go to Norbies, Lorinzinos, or Sydney Seasons.

Edited by JoeInSurin

Sorry to say that my breakfast was far from plain. I imagine that you are not English, JoeinSurin.

The breakfast was very good. Just like home.

I chose the pie because that is what I wanted. Indeed it may have been microwaved, but how it was presented and what it came with was very good.

Making a salad or cooking a steak from scratch id possible because it is quick. The same with pizza.

I'm only saying what I thought. I will indeed find those other places when I go to Surin next. Any idea of their opening times.

I've only been up in Issan for a short while. Having been in Bangkok and Pattaya I just thought that these guys do a good job.

I love the implication that because you have Wayne-like culinary tendancies and are happy with it, that the rest of us should be too. Top man - you'll go far!!

• Like 1

Maybe so, when compared to Rattanaburi. Where do you go locally???

I go to a place called Shefar. Sorry for the spelling. It is a Thai place but they have a few Western things. They also do the Korean BBQ.

Sanitsuk....Not quite sure what you mean. I just said that they serve a purpose. I enjoyed it. I ate what I wanted and it was good.

I never said everyone would like it.

You will go further if you stopped ASSuming.

• Like 1

This is a good example of why there will always be a market for places serving 'basic' foods. Travelers to/from Surin often just want to tuck away a breakfast before/after their travels or have a beer and some wholesome food.

If staying in Surin one can then take time to find 'better/other' places - The Green Terrace would now be very high on my list.

Sorry to say that my breakfast was far from plain. I imagine that you are not English, JoeinSurin.

The breakfast was very good. Just like home.

I chose the pie because that is what I wanted. Indeed it may have been microwaved, but how it was presented and what it came with was very good.

Making a salad or cooking a steak from scratch id possible because it is quick. The same with pizza.

I'm only saying what I thought. I will indeed find those other places when I go to Surin next. Any idea of their opening times.

I've only been up in Issan for a short while. Having been in Bangkok and Pattaya I just thought that these guys do a good job.

In post #79 I said "Farang Connection does a great English Breakfast". By "plain" I meant typical English Breakfast. Their English breakfast can't be beat. I eat it often.

I go to a place called Shefar. Sorry for the spelling. It is a Thai place but they have a few Western things. They also do the Korean BBQ.

Sanitsuk....Not quite sure what you mean. I just said that they serve a purpose. I enjoyed it. I ate what I wanted and it was good.

Just pulling yer leg mate. Couldn't resist the Rooney reference form your ThaiV name!

Just pulling yer leg mate. Couldn't resist the Rooney reference form your ThaiV name!

I guessed that but what I wanted to know is how he ASSumed JoeinSurin wasn't Engrish????

• Like 1

JoeinSurin's comment "plain English breakfast" seemed a little negative. The comments about steak, pizza and Italian food were very positive. JoeinSurin seems to be American. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am American. My "Farang Connection does a great English Breakfast" comment was not negative. My "plain English Breakfast" comment was meaning "lack of selection other than typical English Breakfast". I love a good English breakfast but it is nice to see other choices on the menu also.

<deleted> on this "English breakfast" designation, what about an "American, Italian or French" breakfast. Just because beans tomatoes and mushrooms are on the plate that makes it an English breakfast? Give a plate with eggs cooked properly, good bacon and real hash brown spuds, a side of grits and for God's sake decent freshly brewed coffee and that is a breakfast. Sadly in Surin the only place that came near to that has closed. The FC? they chopped off a few other breakfast options and raised their prices and about the only thing in their favor is that they actually open 7 days a week. Once upon a time two or three years ago Willi the owner and chef at Lorenzino's did a breakfast serving up his home made breads and croissants along with fresh orange juice and fresh ground coffee beans. Sadly, the customer support was sorely lacking and he stopped it.