Birdhouses In Chiang Mai

Mekong Bob

My wife and I were just talking this morning about putting up a bird feeder. There seem to be a lot more pretty and pleasant-sounding birds around these days. I'll probably look around the inner moat around the corner from the park.

Would birds move into a bird house over here?

Are you talking about nesting boxes here? remember as a kid I used to make them from a 1m plank of wood, so easy. And when I used to keep doves, we made the house from a blue water tub and cut windows in it and built a dummy roof over it. Good memories.

something of this nature:

post-150623-0-52216800-1369098413_thumb.

or you wanting something much bigger?.....small ones available around the moat

Nearly every Thai house has a bird feeder. There very ornate and the Thais a re quite dedicated in replacing the food every morning. I don't think the birds care much for the fanta, but they really like the rice.

Yeah, I already have one of those.

Are you talking about nesting boxes here? remember as a kid I used to make them from a 1m plank of wood, so easy. And when I used to keep doves, we made the house from a blue water tub and cut windows in it and built a dummy roof over it. Good memories.

something of this nature:

attachicon.gifthCA6WNZHL.jpg

or you wanting something much bigger?.....small ones available around the moat

If you make a nesting box in a hot climate it needs to be in the shade during the hot time of day. If not the timber needs to be 40mm thick to act as insulation.

Not arguing but when my recent bulbuls built their nest in my tree, let's say the grass was not 40mm thick, ....and I would go as far as saying their passion wagon was a cabriolet

But it may be in shade . 30mm is the recommended thickness if made in timber - this is from Dept of Conservation and Environment for building nesting boxes in the SW of Western Australia which gets pretty hot - touches 40C in summer. However, I like to add a little for extra comfort. With the extremes of weather over the last years many birds are experiencing stresses. eg flocks of parrots falling from the sky dead from heat exhaustion. The conditions in Australia can vary a lot from very cold to very hot. My experience in CM is that it can get cool at night during the dry season otherwise it is pretty hot and humid. What experience I have has taught me that I used to make the boxes too flimsy and the entry hole too large. But I am no expert and am still experimenting myself.

However, this site may have some plans you could use.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/sites/www.birdsinbackyards.net/files/page/attachments/Western%20Rosella.pdf

Bat houses are pretty cool as well.