Downy Mildew On Mystery Melons

Good Aftermorning,

I had this apparent melon of some type volunteer to make an appearance in my garden and now is quickly succumbing to what looks like Downy Mildew. I am asking for emergency control measures, techniques and other tidbits, including an identification of what type melon this might be. It really doesn't have lobes, more just rounded leaves. Thanks in advance for any help...

post-49171-0-38041200-1369130144_thumb.j

post-49171-0-86360900-1369130194_thumb.j

Isn't downy mildew usually white?

Looks more like a mosaic virus to me. I get this sometimes and cut and burn the infected leaves.

I don't know of any other way to deal with it organically.

I just work on the assumption that by getting rid of the infected leaves, there is less chance of the virus spreading to the new growth.

I have been told that this virus can be spread by smokers discarding their cigarette ends in the garden - no idea if that is true or not

Edited by loong
  • Like 1

Isn't downy mildew usually white?

Sorry, I was thinking of powdery mildew.

Looking at some online photos, it doesn't seem to be that easy to tell the difference between downy mildew and mosaic virus.

We get this on bottle gourds, tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers... transferred by beasties from plant to plant. I spray Bai sadao plus wood vinegar but the secret seems to be to cultivate optimally and get as much fruit of the plant as quickly as possible before they stop growing.

Hi all, bunta71, you are correct, it is downy mildew in the early stages and it will progress rapidly and change in appearance those pale green angular lesions will eventually become necrotic, and if you have a look at the underside of the leaf you may see evidence of fungal spores, it is an extremly agressive disease and one which is very hard to control organically, i use a fungicide { Mancozeb Plus } mixed with Phosphoric Acid and it works a treat on my Hydroponic Telephone Peas.

Cheers

Scoop

Edited by Scoop1
  • Like 1