Blackout

hansgruber

Larger rule 31 newspaper have an story about the power cut.

500kV cable was disconnected which caused South to drop down from the country wide grid.

Southern parts were able to produce 500MW while the demand was 2.5GW.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger rule 31 newspaper have an story about the power cut.

500kV cable was disconnected which caused South to drop down from the country wide grid.

Southern parts were able to produce 500MW while the demand was 2.5GW.

Thanks for the info - reading it now. Interesting.

Ao Por also got the power back again. Hopefully it will stay back on for an while.

I suppose we'll have soon discussion how to produce more electricity in Southern Thailand. If the production and consumption difference is huge and everything depends of one power line from the north to the south, then that's one big single point of failure.

Authorities working around the clock to restore normal supply of electricity to the South

BANGKOK, 21 May 2013 (NNT) - Authorities have already restored power to nearly half of the southern provinces experiencing a blackout caused by a high-voltage cable in Bang Saphan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province.

Deputy Governor for Transmission System of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) Thana Putarungsi has affirmed that EGAT has gradually supplied 1,030 megawatts of electricity back to the 14 southern provinces affected by power outage that started this evening due to the failure of the main high voltage transmission line connecting the South to the central region.

Mr Thana explained that EGAT is now generating electricity from the hydro power plant at Ratchaprapha dam in Surat Thani and Bang Lan Dam in Yala Province for use to avert the massive power failure that affected most of the southern region. Besides, the government has ordered electricity from Malaysia and a private electricity supplier to relieve the shortage. More electricity is also being mobilized from other sources.

According to Mr Thana, although it is unclear when the power supply in the 14 southern provinces will be restored to full capacity, authorities are working in full force to bring the situation to normalcy as soon as possible.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 21/5/2556 footer_n.gif

Thainews

power outage that started this evening due to the failure of the main high voltage transmission line connecting the South to the central region.

Just the one cable for the entire South of Thailand.

How about having two. Or three.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

In reading this whole thread up until now... nothing from the authorities about how or why the main power line went down.... Curious that...

And, as another poster asked above, just ONE main power line feeding all of Southern Thailand??? Really???

Authorities working around the clock to restore normal supply of electricity to the South

BANGKOK, 21 May 2013 (NNT) - Authorities have already restored power to nearly half of the southern provinces experiencing a blackout caused by a high-voltage cable in Bang Saphan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province.

Deputy Governor for Transmission System of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) Thana Putarungsi has affirmed that EGAT has gradually supplied 1,030 megawatts of electricity back to the 14 southern provinces affected by power outage that started this evening due to the failure of the main high voltage transmission line connecting the South to the central region.

Mr Thana explained that EGAT is now generating electricity from the hydro power plant at Ratchaprapha dam in Surat Thani and Bang Lan Dam in Yala Province for use to avert the massive power failure that affected most of the southern region. Besides, the government has ordered electricity from Malaysia and a private electricity supplier to relieve the shortage. More electricity is also being mobilized from other sources.

If I read this correctly, the main power line does still not function.

In the mean while EGAT has increased electricity production in the southern parts of Thailand and increased electricity import from Malaysia. This has been done in matter of hours and the electricity is once again widely available.

I would think this is pretty effective work from EGAT.

Might sound crazy - but, could another military coup be happening????

If it was they would not black out the people who who cheer for it. They'd black out Issan.

Ahhhhh, tourism - foreigners panicing - heading for the airport - ringing their embassy etc etc etc etc.

That said, we haven't got a post from anyone in Issan yet.

Post from Issan... I could power the changwat on the noise the frogs are making right now...

Thank God for the conspiracy brigade. life would be so dull without them. coffee1.gif

It went off for 4 days in about 5 provinces in the South, about 8 or 9 tears back. The locals blamed Thaksin, the muslims, and the unions. In the end, a transformer had gone bang in the middle of nowhere. It was dragged in by elephants.

I'm surprised how some people are surprised unsure.png

Several months ago we were told that due to maintenance, one of Thailands power plants will be Off-Line sometime in May or something like that. The problem was predictable, not unexpected at all. The government said there might be black-out's as Malaysia and Myanmar can only make up for a fraction of what would be needed. I believe Thai Visa mentioned about it too.

So, no surprise. We had no power for about two hours in Koh Phangan but lucky for generator.

We been warned about a couple of months ago, so we were prepared-ish. Next time, I'll ust need to make sure, I have petrol too crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Ummm..... that was ages ago and I suppose you missed the announcement that the scheduled maintenance work in Burma was completed ahead of schedule and that no interference to supplies in Thailand had occurred during the time that the link was down.

I was amazed years ago at the tangled spaghetti of wires in Bangkok. And living in the country, we get power outs every storm.

They are trying to protect the transformers I suppose, but if someone farts too loud they "shut er down ".

My Wife was amazed of California and no wires, all underground. She finally agreed to move over to LOS after the last earthquake though.

In 6 years here, for the first 4 there were regular power outages, virtually every time there was heavy rain for example. Now, after extensive cable replacement (at least here in Chalong), last night was the first unplanned outage I can remember for a long, long time (maybe 2 years).

Wife and I actually had a very pleasant couple of hours on our terrace, full moon, nice breeze, candles, listening to music from an iPad, dogs sleeping around our feet, a bottle of Singha or three to sip on. There are worse ways to spend an evening for sure.

How enjoyable it is to sit at my hotel in the pineapple plantations, with darknest all around, save for the flicker of my solar lights and the fireflies.

Beats sitting in an air-con ice-box.....

...with only the sound of food spoiling in the freezer.

Maybe Southern terrorists blew the power lines up, getting the thumbs up from the generals. It means more secret funds so bigger Mercedes Benz cars for the boys with the stars.

It's strange what a few hours of enforced darkness will make the mind come up with.
  • Like 2