No Rice Today...

Khun Yak

When I was eating rice (once more) in the canteen at work today I got really annoyed :o . Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, nothing but rice, rice, rice...\

Don't get me wrong, I like asian food and Thaifood is great, but if you depend on it every day and have a limited choice what to eat with your rice or the quality of the canteen food just pushes you away from the local food, I start dreaming myself away...

...to a juicy chunk of fried (NOT deep-fried) meat e.g. steak, escallope, and some proper potatoes, fried with onions and bacon... some nice redwine, green peeper or bernaise sauce.....

or how about some nice Italien food, antipasti, pasta, carne, dolce e formaggio everything blended with spices and tastes that drive you crazy for it...

aaaaaaaaaaaaarg when I was asked by the canteen staff what I would like to have I wanted to scream out: NO RICE TODAY !!! but the alternative would have been a disgusting soup or nothing...I'm hungry :D

Cheers,

KY

I know what you mean KY. I love Thai food but I do find myself craving other types of food occasionally, especially Italian! And good quality bread, thickly buttered... sweet or savoury, spead with marmalade or salami - ooh, and a good quality strong cheese. Yummilicious!

Don't mention the wine...

Well Well Well !!!

You guys have to put up with it where you are in a country that everybody eats rice 3 times a day. What about you find some times to cook your own meals so you get what you want... just a change, ya know..! I remember when I first moved to Australia I was craving for Thai Food. Evertime after meals I had to find a lemon and squeezed it down my thoat to stop that sickly feeling after those Steaks and peas stuff --- :D

Now I'm used it :D:D:D However, I never get used to having Cereal for breakfast, I don't mind having it at dinner time :o

In fact, I love grapes and bread :D

Edited by Little Mouse!

At the first school I worked, from August through February, I don't recall darkening the door of the 'canteen.' At the second school, I frequented three food stalls: fresh fruit (ba'tao and ba'ka'naht, also known as watermelon and pineapple, sandia y piña); bakery (cake with frosting, etc) and one or two scoops of ice cream. That was lunch.

At the third school, I only ate at the canteen once a week, and it was one or two bags of tang mo and sapalote.

I only ate rice at a faculty luncheon, along with the least Thai food I could get away with.

When we go to the beach now in the afternoon, I eat khaow paht gai or khaow paht gung, while my partner eats big prawns in a pot with glass noodles.

Funny thing, though: before migrating to Thailand, I went for a year or two with a breakfast of frozen/microwaved oriental rice, vegetables, and soy sauce. Or, a double bowl of cold cereal with the milk poured in first. :o

I've been in a hotel in HCMC in VN now for nearly 3 weeks...lots of Asian business types among the guests. There is the usual breakfast buffet with the usual western offering but with miso soup, steamed rice, stir fried and fresh veges and other 'delights'. Also some nice soba type noodles with a respectable cooking liquid. I always find myself getting the same thing...tomato, green pepper and mushroom omelet (prepared on the spot and slathered with Tabasco - real Tabasco in VN! -) and some roast potatoes. I always get a bowl of miso soup(garnished with spring onion and tofu)...I believe that it has medicinal/digestive properties.

when stir fried veges are on offer I get them to accompany the tots and I've had the soba noodles a coupla of times and they are nicely prepared and go down a treat.

never did get the rice...reminds me of the bad old days in Nicaragua when I ate cold 'gallo pinto' before stumbling out into the polluted and filthy Managua light of day...many times couldn't stomach it and ended up down by the post office with some cornbread and a gaseosa from a street vendor...

:o

When my wife and I discuss living in Thailand or staying in America, one of the reasons she gives for staying is the food!

Wow, this is really sad! Thai food, made in Thailand is the best food on the planet! If you have only tasted it in USA (or anywhere in the west) it will be a poor imitation. Try Thailand, even on a vacation and eat all the food you can - become addicted! I am!!!

:o

When my wife and I discuss living in Thailand or staying in America, one of the reasons she gives for staying is the food!

Wow, this is really sad! Thai food, made in Thailand is the best food on the planet! If you have only tasted it in USA (or anywhere in the west) it will be a poor imitation. Try Thailand, even on a vacation and eat all the food you can - become addicted! I am!!!

No, Suegha. My wife is Thai and cooks her nations dishes very well. SHe thinks the food her is better because you can get so many different things. She can cook Thai whenever she wants to, but if we lived in Thailand she wouldn't be able to get many of the foods we have here, or at least not get them with the same quality.

:D

No, Suegha. My wife is Thai and cooks her nations dishes very well. SHe thinks the food her is better because you can get so many different things. She can cook Thai whenever she wants to, but if we lived in Thailand she wouldn't be able to get many of the foods we have here, or at least not get them with the same quality.

Well in a way Suegha is right, and BTW in a country where you can't even get decent non-pasteurized french cheese, I don't want to life either :D

KY :o

Well in a way Suegha is right, and BTW in a country where you can't even get decent non-pasteurized french cheese, I don't want to life either :D

Suegha is so right but The BEST Thai Food you can get is in Thailand. If you haven't tried Thai Food in Thailand, you haven't reached Thailand. Forget about the chilis, you can ask to put less or none. Try it you would love it.... :D

What are you responding to? You say Suegha is right but then make the comment about cheese. We have plenty of fine french cheese in the states. So, are you refering to Thailand?

Suegha is so right but The BEST Thai Food you can get is in Thailand. If you haven't tried Thai Food in Thailand, you haven't reached Thailand. Forget about the chilis, you can ask to put less or none. Try it you would love it.... :D

Okay, I don't think you read my post. Are you saying that my wife doesn't know how to cook?

suegha...please come to the bus station where I live in Suphan where most of the stall food is sold (not much else anywhere else) and taste the offering. I will then give you the opportunity to qualify the above statement...

:D:o

(tutsi heads for de sebben elebben an' de hot dogs when in that part ob town)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

but if we lived in Thailand she wouldn't be able to get many of the foods we have here, or at least not get them with the same quality.

What does this post mean? :o

I am speaking of foods that neither one of us know how to prepare that can be found common place in the states, but not Thailand. To suggest my statement proves your point is foolish. My wife knowing how to prepare Thai food and being able to find the ingredients she needs to prepare these dishes, means that I enjoy quality Thai meals in my own home. For example, even though she is also quite skilled in preparing corned beef and cabbage, if corned beef could not be found in Thailand than the dish could not be enjoyed. However, if corned beef could be located there the dish could be prepared. I fail to see how if the cook in question has the skill and the ingredients that the location at which the food is prepared would have a major impact on the quality of the dish. Where the food is consumed might, I will give you that, but I doubt you are suggesting that bad food will taste better simply because you are eating it in Bangkok.

Can someone tell me how to Quote some part of the posts please?

Do you do cut and paste or something else specific?

Thanks.

There are two buttons at the bottom of each post. If you click on reply you will be able to quote that post right away. If you click on quote you will be able to select more than one post, just by clicking quote on all the posts you want, then you click on add reply at the bottom of the page. Does this make sense?

Yo Bops, I didn't know your wife was Thai. Your original post led me to believe you were both 'American food' lovers! Message received and understood.

suegha...please come to the bus station where I live in Suphan where most of the stall food is sold (not much else anywhere else) and taste the offering. I will then give you the opportunity to qualify the above statement...

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. I have come across some street food which leaves a lot to be desired! However, I still say Thai food properly prepared with good quality ingredients is the healthiest and tastiest in the world! I love it...

Yo Bops, I didn't know your wife was Thai. Sorry, I thought you knew. Your original post led me to believe you were both 'American food' lovers! Yes, we are. Just because she is Thai doesn't mean she isn't going to like American food. Message received and understood.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. I have come across some street food which leaves a lot to be desired! However, I still say Thai food properly prepared with good quality ingredients is the healthiest and tastiest in the world! I love it...

Pardon me, but technical questions can be asked in the Forum Support Desk. Let me clean this up a bit so folks can follow the thread about Western Food in Thailand. Thank you.

Okay; that was tricky, and I may have lost one semi-relevant post that could have gone either place.

Please carry on, thank you....

Pardon me, but technical questions can be asked in the Forum Support Desk. Let me clean this up a bit so folks can follow the thread about Western Food in Thailand. Thank you.

Okay; that was tricky, and I may have lost one semi-relevant post that could have gone either place.

Huh??? :o

Huh??? :o

I was answering some questions from Little Mouse about quoting in a post.