Miserable,unsmiling,and Forlorn Lookings Farangs.....

StevenHeidbriderSr

Well as a casual visitor(2 to 3 times a year ) to the area, Near nong khai, I am only to happy to say hello to any Westerner I run in to. I then can make up my mind if I want to see them at a later date. Sometime a fellow english speaker is a bonus when I am here.

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost 20 years back I was at a hotel pool in Pattaya and had -- as a Yank -- spent some time with a Swedish guy. One morning I accompanied him to a table where there were some retired Brits. The Swedish gent and I sat down and we all chatted for a while.

The next morning I was out by the pool without the Swedish gent and I causally started to say hello and sit down by the British gents from the day before when one of them said "We didn't ask for you to sit here. We don't want you to sit here. We don't want your company." At which I excused myself and said that it won't happen again ... and that was a lesson learned.

I have always found it prudent to ask people if they mind me joining them rather than forcing my company upon them.. there's a lesson for you..

totster smile.png

might consider a harmless

Like I said, I had spent time with them the day before so I was maybe too casual about it. I learned that what what you might look upon as a harmless encounter might not be looked upon as such by others. Also, it was one of the few times I had encountered in my travels anyone from the UK and that This is Not America.

I'm pretty sure had I asked these particular gentlemen if they minded my joining them, the answer would have been much the same.

Maybe it may have been more tactful.. anyway as a Brit I always enjoy meeting people, especially when there is a beer or two involved :)

totster :)

I appreciate ALL the comments. I guess as an American from a small town where we talk and smile to each other is somewhat hard for some to understand. I would hope that people are not put off just because I am an American.

And By the By IF I say hello and want to know how you are doing it doesn't mean I want to come to Dinner, Meet the wife, or anything else. I just want to say hello and if you don't want a conversation just say Hi Nice to meet you Gotta Go!

Nice post.. my sentiments exactly..

And I'm a Brit if it matters...

totster :)

• Like 1

I find that the times when I have befriended the extroverts, I have had to work to get rid of them later.

That being said, if you meet me in the mall and you talk to me, I will talk to you. But I Usually won't encourage it going any further. Too many people carrying extra baggage over here, and I just like having my carry on.

Nice post.

Reminds me of the movie, The Cable Guy.

I am not a social guy,never been,and do not like to chatt with people I see in the shops or anywhere else.Doesn`t matter if it is a Thai or farang.But I usually say "hallo",give a nod or smile,and just continue what I`m doing. Never any problems,seems that the other fellow sences that I do not want to engage in any conversation.

If you are back in your homecountry,of course you do not say hallo to everybody! The point is,that you are NOT back home and the other farang is sort of a fellow countryman when you meet him here.As a parallell,when I see people from my small village,who I usually not say hallo to,in the big city,it happens in the same manner;we aknowledge each other.,probably even speak some words.

I live in the Nong Khai area and sometimes find it difficult to open up to many westerners. First off Nong Khai, although not large, gets it fair share of tourists looking to go to Laos or visa runners. I can not remember all the stupid questions I have been asked. Not that I have never tried to help it just gets a bit frustrating at times when you are sitting down to dinner with the wife and get interrupted to answer questions like this.

Then there are those that always will and can not help themselves to ask for, in some form or manner, money. I believe with it's proximity to Vientiane that it seems to attract a lower end class of ex-pat that always seems to be on the edge of disaster (financial or romantic). So there are times I have struck up a conversation only to at one point be asked to help a "friend" or "my pension is late" etc...And when you refuse they get hostile. My policy is to never borrow or lend from/to anyone here.

Also as a full time resident of Nong Khai I tend to go out with my blinders on. I live, work and raise a family here so do not necessarily go out of my way to make new friends or have the need to make new friends. I converse mostly in Thai and have mostly Thai friends.

There are a few of us Canadians living here. Most keep to themselves, a few gives us a bad name but I nearly always will say hello to someone who makes a bit of an effort to talk to me.

• Like 2

Generally for me, I'm happy to have a chat with anyone who comes upto me, as I'm generally a quite talkative guy. However I understand that some farang prefer not to, even for myself, sometimes someone will come up and chat with me, then I might sorta wish that they didn't. But that's because I get a bit annoyed with people who think that the bar scene and Thai girls are all there is to Thailand, and who then have very little respect or understanding of Thai people (Luckily very few people who actually live in Isaan fall into this category).

Also when you've been living in Thailand for a while, you get kinda settled and then you don't "need" to meet other farang so urgently, so when you're out shopping, you're out shopping, and might not necessarily feel like striking up a conversation with some random bloke who has nothing in common with you. But if you're out having a beer, then you might be much more willing to have a yarn with the same guy who you didn't give the time of day to in Big C.

And as well, I think that people in areas which have a lot of farang, like Nong Khai or Udon, will be less likely to strike up a conversation with a random farang, or even make eye contact lol. As there are plenty of farang in the area already, so they don't really have to "try" and find English speaking friends.

Hit, Nail, Head ... wai.gif

I find that the times when I have befriended the extroverts, I have had to work to get rid of them later.

That being said, if you meet me in the mall and you talk to me, I will talk to you. But I Usually won't encourage it going any further. Too many people carrying extra baggage over here, and I just like having my carry on.

yep thats me,happy when its me,wf.and dog,mourners,beggers and shit stirers p.off.

This is a question often asked.

I used to try and say hello or whatever to any farang I would come across when out shopping but i have long since stopped. More times than not I would be ignored.

My wife used to think I was crazy for trying.

Turning the question round the other way ... to the OP (StevenHeidbriderSr)

• What is your great desire to connect with someone what, most likely you would not connect with back in your country of birth?
  • Why do you feel just a little bit slighted when they don't return your eye contact?

• What is your great desire to connect with someone what, most likely you would not connect with back in your country of birth?
  • Why do you feel just a little bit slighted when they don't return your eye contact?

Maybe he is just an open person, nothing wrong with that. Prefer this kind of people over the please-look-at-my-big-car with too much selfesteem types who think they are always better then others and they OWN Thailand just cuz they have money they're just antisocial arrogant sukcers nobody needs.

• Like 1

"It's nice to be nice" as my grandmother used to say.

You need to be careful of the crazy ones which there seems to be a lot of, she never said the last part as I'm sure crazy wan't as mainstream back then.

:D

• Like 1

Maybe he is just an open person, nothing wrong with that. Prefer this kind of people over the please-look-at-my-big-car with too much selfesteem types who think they are always better then others and they OWN Thailand just cuz they have money they're just antisocial arrogant sukcers nobody needs.

Why do you assume that someone with an expensive car is saying 'look-at-me' and has superiority issues? Im guessing you are a Brit :-) Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Almost 20 years back I was at a hotel pool in Pattaya and had -- as a Yank -- spent some time with a Swedish guy. One morning I accompanied him to a table where there were some retired Brits. The Swedish gent and I sat down and we all chatted for a while.

The next morning I was out by the pool without the Swedish gent and I causally started to say hello and sit down by the British gents from the day before when one of them said "We didn't ask for you to sit here. We don't want you to sit here. We don't want your company." At which I excused myself and said that it won't happen again ... and that was a lesson learned.

I have always found it prudent to ask people if they mind me joining them rather than forcing my company upon them.. there's a lesson for you..

totster smile.png

Like I said, I had spent time with them the day before so I was maybe too casual about it. I learned that what what you might look upon as a harmless encounter might not be looked upon as such by others. Also, it was one of the few times I had encountered in my travels anyone from the UK and that This is Not America.

I'm pretty sure had I asked these particular gentlemen if they minded my joining them, the answer would have been much the same.

Maybe it may have been more tactful.. anyway as a Brit I always enjoy meeting people, especially when there is a beer or two involved smile.png

totster smile.png

I leave for USA next week for 3 weeks -- first time on a plane in 2 years -- and will be back end of June. If you're near KK, as I remember, send a PM and I'll spot you the beers while(st) I drink a Singha Soda with lime.

• Like 1

I leave for USA next week for 3 weeks -- first time on a plane in 2 years -- and will be back end of June. If you're near KK, as I remember, send a PM and I'll spot you the beers while(st) I drink a Singha Soda with lime.

Great ! I'm in Kalasin but never mind a trip to KK

totster smile.png

Great ! I'm in Kalasin but never mind a trip to KK

totster smile.png

OK -- Maybe LEE-YO the hometown favorite?

Doubt you are alone in finding this sort of reaction. I'll bet the Canadian is more at peace with his life here than some poor souls that seem to spend most of their time holding the closet door shut for fear the skeletons will escape. I am 17 years older than my wife of twelve years, and no, we didn't meet on the ballroom floor of a five star hotel.

... so you are 29 and she is 12..... no reason to smile, rather strange

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Can we give it a rest?

Enjoy your trip to the States! I leave on Friday for Boston.

I haven't visited home in two years and I'm really looking forward to it. I have a full list of things I want to buy and bring back with me.

I was surprised and disappointed to learn that the checked luggage allowance is lower traveling from Asia to the States than if the flight had originated in the states.

I've also got a big list of things I want to eat. Maine lobsters and steamed clam will be a definite.

totster Posted Image

Maybe it may have been more tactful.. anyway as a Brit I always enjoy meeting people, especially when there is a beer or two involved Posted Image

totster Posted Image

Doubt you are alone in finding this sort of reaction. I'll bet the Canadian is more at peace with his life here than some poor souls that seem to spend most of their time holding the closet door shut for fear the skeletons will escape. I am 17 years older than my wife of twelve years, and no, we didn't meet on the ballroom floor of a five star hotel.

... so you are 29 and she is 12..... no reason to smile, rather strange

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Be you fat or not, you are offensive.

• Like 1

I usually eat a lot of rib-eye steak and Mexican food during my 3 week trips but a lobster would be nice too if I can get one in Vermont.

One of the great places I lived in to buy lobster was Denver, CO, because, when there was an over-supply, rather than have the prices drop in the traditional eastern Seaboard markets, they would ship them out to Denver and keep the market price steady on the East Coast... then they would practically be giving them away in the Rockies.

Posts like this make me chuckle.

I can just imagine everyone going shopping in the UK, USA , Canada, or where ever saying "Hello" to everyone. You'd be in the supermarket forever.

Just a side note. Do Thais say "hello" to every Thai that they see in BigC too?

When Thais are overseas they fall over one another trying to make contact, eat Thai food and talk in Thai. Not all but many. They have this circle of Thai friends, regardless of background back in Thailand.

The main difference with Thais overseas and farangs in living in Thailand, is that most Thais are happy living overseas but with a lot of farangs here in Thailand they are not generally that happy. They are here because it is cheap. It is increasingly difficult to live on a pension back in their home countries.

Totally agree. The expat Thais here in Southern California seem to develop an instant bond after meeting. And all the class prejudices from Thailand disappear also. Everyone hangs with everyone. Wife is off socializing at the wat right now.

As for western expats in Thailand, have always been stymied by the level of unsocial behaviors. I presume there are a variety of reasons, but I would guess many are just generally unhappy with their day-to-day life. Things can get very boring and miserable if one let's them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1