Miserable,unsmiling,and Forlorn Lookings Farangs.....

StevenHeidbriderSr

JL im sorry you had an experience like that with Brits.

However if you bump into one of us manxies, you will recieve a warm welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX8Dg4nW7lU laugh.png

Is that the same guy that does the "Industrial Revelations" series? Or have I been in Asia long enough that they all look the same to me?

I loved that guy, but then in a later season, they replaced him.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning the question round the other way ... to the OP (StevenHeidbriderSr)

• What is your great desire to connect with someone what, most likely you would not connect with back in your country of birth?
  • Why do you feel just a little bit slighted when they don't return your eye contact?

I don't feel slighted in the least. I just think the Guy has problems and move on. I guess if I saw they at least had a genial smile instead of a my dog just died frown I wouldn't even have posted.

Perhaps it's just me,but I don't find people miserable and forlorn,just say something simple to break the ice,very often they are only too happy to talk to you,but just didn't want to be rejected by making the first move. Or sometimes they don't want to talk at that particular time,their body language should reveal whether to speak or not,and avoiding eye contact should also be a clue.

• Like 1

Or they might just be miserable b@ggers whatever store or continent they are in.

There is also an increasing number of expats in LOS from non English speaking countries. That too might be a relevant factor

Guaranteed. Nice people but no English skills at all. I deal with them on a daily bases.

I remember reading a few of these "Isaan expats are unfriendly in Tesco" post in the past, so decided to pay attention .. hard at my age.;)

Sort of keeping track, I have come to the conclusion that it may be the fault of the complainer. When crossing paths with other westerners in Tesco, Do Home, etc, I make brief eye contact and give a pleasant nod .. usually returned in kind.

If someone doesn't make eye contact, I assume their feet or back may be hurting. I know how that feels. I have back problems. They probably just want to get the damn shopping done and get home!

• Like 1

Thailand is a very distrusting society.

(As evidenced by the lack of socializing

amongst themselves at almost any mode

of transportation.) Therefore, after living

for an amount of time here, I have "adopted"

a sense of suspicion, aloofness and anti-social

manners. I understand about the American

small-town banter, but here we become a

little bit like the paranoid Thai society.

I will still give eye-contact and a smile as

acknowledgement, but I've run into enough

(farang) scoundrels that I would be wary of

anything other than the most transient "Hello."

coffee1.gif

Tesco seems to get a few mentions on this type of subject. I use Tesco's and other places of course, but to be honest I'm usually in there with a list and zooming (yes zooming) around getting my stuff and get out. I see other farangs, sometimes we make eye contact, more often than not we don't. I'm not sure if I look grumpy, maybe I do or maybe I don't, I'm not really bothered and I'm not really bothered how others look either to be honest, they are doing their thing and I'm doing mine and as far as I know there is no set way to appear whilst you're doing it.

Doubt you are alone in finding this sort of reaction. I'll bet the Canadian is more at peace with his life here than some poor souls that seem to spend most of their time holding the closet door shut for fear the skeletons will escape. I am 17 years older than my wife of twelve years, and no, we didn't meet on the ballroom floor of a five star hotel.

Your wife is twelve?Those Isaan girls sure do grow up fast!w00t.gif

• Like 1

Hi Dave. Mate I think you have this wrong. Neither the OP or the people referred to are in their home country and in Issan there is as many miles between farangs as there are in the Top End where Dundee came from. Live here all year and see if your attitude changes. Hogan's character is outgoing and typifies people who are not surrounded by their peers everyday. Visitors always welcome here.

So then

When can I move in with you?

I like a land as you describe Issan.

How many miles would that be?

Or they might just be miserable b@ggers whatever store or continent they are in.

There is also an increasing number of expats in LOS from non English speaking countries. That too might be a relevant factor

Guaranteed. Nice people but no English skills at all. I deal with them on a daily bases.

You mean fellow Americans ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

^^ that's a really nice thing that you have done ... clap2.gif

With that attitude, I reckon once someone has had the opportunity to spend time with you ... you'll be overrun with friends and acquaintances.

Nice positive story.

^^ that's a really nice thing that you have done ... clap2.gif

With that attitude, I reckon once someone has had the opportunity to spend time with you ... you'll be overrun with friends and acquaintances.

Nice positive story.

Agreed! wink.png

I tend to smile and nod say Hello if they look at least a bit friendly. If I see someone sitting outside ( I live in a small town, not in the city) I will stop and chat. Often its the new teacher at the school (changed every 3 months, I think). Most the expats here get together on Sat. and drink-- I don't drink much and tire of the "drink" talk. Its nice to just chat and see how the others are doing.

Doubt you are alone in finding this sort of reaction. I'll bet the Canadian is more at peace with his life here than some poor souls that seem to spend most of their time holding the closet door shut for fear the skeletons will escape. I am 17 years older than my wife of twelve years, and no, we didn't meet on the ballroom floor of a five star hotel.

Your wife is twelve?Those Isaan girls sure do grow up fast!w00t.gif

Probablly hails from Arkansas.

Having made eye contact and been drawn into long boring conversations with a few people with whom I have nothing in common apart from being foreign in a foreign land I now adopt the policy of keeping my head down and myself to myself. Sorry if that makes me grumpy and boring, but in truth, I find it strange that some people feel the need to constantly be seeking out someone new to talk to.

• Like 2

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

• Like 1

When you have lived the life as an expat for some years, you hear so many stories from other expats that are just plain stupid,lies, uninteresting babble about other business, that it does make you want to keep yourself to yourself.

It is a shame but that's (expat) life!!!!

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

Was he South African? A quick search shows a number of Farangs inside longer than 5 years, the longest a South African who did 18 years.

Why, on Earth, do you think that they wish to acknowledge you ... let alone interact with you?

Relevant just before the 1 minute mark.

If that same person (you mention in your OP) was back in your home country and you met them in a TESCO/WalMart etc ... would even engage in eye-contact ... we both know the answer is no!

So why, once you have made the great swim across the pond, do you think that the other person shares anything in common with you?

It's actually a racial comment in your OP because you are making a decision based on skin colour.

You OP says more about yourself then others.

Just relax.  If you wish to make friends from your Culture ... great ... but picking them up in TESCO maybe not the smartest strategy.

Yep ... I know where my coat is.

Back HOME people say g'day... Hi. Hows it going?. And smile. I am sure you do too.

Sawasdee is nice. It doesnt hurt to be nice

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am bewildered by this concept that just because we're both white trudging around tesco that we should have some type of secret fraternity and instant bond. I have little interest in beer bars and mia nois or "going native". So excuse me if I don't run up to every white face pushing around their grocery cart wearing 7 amulets, flip-flops a tank top and sporting their best hangover with their mia close behind announcing in amplified and irritatted tones "Why we need? I have home. I buy market more cheap." (Real description, location has been changed to protect the innocent)

Just cos you're white doesn't make you mylong lost buddy. Just cos your not white does not exclude you from being my good friend. It's not the colour, its the person.

And how do you know the person if your head is always up your arse. I know you are a business man

I am bewildered by this concept that just because we're both white trudging around tesco that we should have some type of secret fraternity and instant bond. I have little interest in beer bars and mia nois or "going native". So excuse me if I don't run up to every white face pushing around their grocery cart wearing 7 amulets, flip-flops a tank top and sporting their best hangover with their mia close behind announcing in amplified and irritatted tones "Why we need? I have home. I buy market more cheap." (Real description, location has been changed to protect the innocent)

Just cos you're white doesn't make you mylong lost buddy. Just cos your not white does not exclude you from being my good friend. It's not the colour, its the person.

The courtesy of a 'nod' or a "Good Morning", after eye contact with someone, is never wrong in my book.

It does not commit you to a long-term relationship or even link you as friends on Facebook !

Exaclty. If you nod or smile at someone, that person should do the same in return. There is a basic courtesy that should be shared among people who do not still drag their knuckles on the ground.

• Like 2