Miserable,unsmiling,and Forlorn Lookings Farangs.....

StevenHeidbriderSr

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

sorry theres more. apparently, his original term was 30 years, deduced to just 18 years

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update-- Met another Canadian today that needed help with directions. My wife and I decided we should get in our car and lead him to his destination which was just a few minutes away but could be confusing to find. Ended up having lunch with he and his wife at a great local guest house/ resteraunt for Farangs in Nong Khai. Had a very cordial and polite lunch which I made sure we went Dutch on even though he wanted to pay.

Great old gentleman of 81 years Young and Enjoying Life in Issan. It was a true pleasure to meet and talk.

As we continued with our day of shopping I was able to say hello to a few other Farangs that were smiling and gave a great hello back.

All this kinda made my day!

well done, trouble with me is i take people as i find them and treat them the same, nice and polite to me, they get the same in return, <deleted> get back what they give with a bit of interest for good luck

Update-- Met another Canadian today that needed help with directions. My wife and I decided we should get in our car and lead him to his destination which was just a few minutes away but could be confusing to find. Ended up having lunch with he and his wife at a great local guest house/ resteraunt for Farangs in Nong Khai. Had a very cordial and polite lunch which I made sure we went Dutch on even though he wanted to pay.

Great old gentleman of 81 years Young and Enjoying Life in Issan. It was a true pleasure to meet and talk.

As we continued with our day of shopping I was able to say hello to a few other Farangs that were smiling and gave a great hello back.

well done, trouble with me is i take people as i find them and treat them the same, nice and polite to me, they get the same in return, <deleted> get back what they give with a bit of interest for good luck
That's the golden rule isn't it?

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

sorry theres more. apparently, his original term was 30 years, deduced to just 18 years

deduced? duh "reduced"

Has anyone noticed any form similarity between the people who are unfriendly?

Do you think they are from one certain group? Age/ financial status/ nationality/ village recluse or Big city folk???????

Just wondering?

Do you think they are from one certain group? Age/ financial status/ nationality/ village recluse or Big city folk???????

Just wondering?

Well, since you seemed to have noticed a linkage ... what's your observations?

Just wondering?

Well, since you seemed to have noticed a linkage ... what's your observations?

I have noticed nothing and that's why I asked the question?

I met a Kiwi in the new tops yesterday in Ubon. We both locked eyes said hello and then had a great little conversation. Instantly it made me think of this thread and gave me a chuckle.

• Like 1

It seems many older farang are trapped here, possibly financially unable to leave, and they are miserable. No where on earth have I seen so miserable looking and unfriendly foreigners than in SE Asia. It is sad really.

I'm afraid that that is the conclusion that I have come to also. All their money spent on a house and afraid of being thrown out or worse by their ex-bar girl wife..

The last place I lived in in Switzerland, small mountain village, people would walk back to you if you didn't answer their greeting to ask if you were ok.

• Like 2

Almost 20 years back I was at a hotel pool in Pattaya and had -- as a Yank -- spent some time with a Swedish guy. One morning I accompanied him to a table where there were some retired Brits. The Swedish gent and I sat down and we all chatted for a while.

The next morning I was out by the pool without the Swedish gent and I causally started to say hello and sit down by the British gents from the day before when one of them said "We didn't ask for you to sit here. We don't want you to sit here. We don't want your company." At which I excused myself and said that it won't happen again ... and that was a lesson learned.

Sorry to hear that being a Brit myself

My guess would be that many who arrive in Isaan do just as the gent in Post #1 has commented. But over the years, after you've been stung enough times, you smile and be friendly but then, 'Sorry, I'm running late to catch a train."

Sakhon got no train.

I think many people just get stir crazy / cabin fever, going days or weeks at a stretch without just having a conversation in English (Or their native language)

And many Issanoire can be considered to come from the 'no talk tribe' - even in put Thai. Or put Lao.

Pick a nearby place cafe / pub etc, & just let f'lungs know to come along at a certain time each week for a drink & a chin wag. That way you can check others out before you decide to get too friendly. Mostly they're not too bad, but don't carry more than 2 big notes. ;-)

F'lungs here are way behind the eight ball, we really need each other to help preserve sanity. That is the origin of the 2 expats clubs in Pattaya. PCEC & PEC. Google them, pop in when you visit Patters. (if you would admit to it)

• Like 1

I think many people just get stir crazy / cabin fever, going days or weeks at a stretch without just having a conversation in English (Or their native language)

And many Issanoire can be considered to come from the 'no talk tribe' - even in put Thai. Or put Lao.

Pick a nearby place cafe / pub etc, & just let f'lungs know to come along at a certain time each week for a drink & a chin wag. That way you can check others out before you decide to get too friendly. Mostly they're not too bad, but don't carry more than 2 big notes. ;-)

F'lungs here are way behind the eight ball, we really need each other to help preserve sanity. That is the origin of the 2 expats clubs in Pattaya. PCEC & PEC. Google them, pop in when you visit Patters. (if you would admit to it)

and a lot of people who joined such expat clubs in patters ended up loosing more than there sanity but the content of there bankbook according to a certain english journalist who cant be named here.

The morbid ones are probably just the ones whom have recently found out that great house they bought does not actually belong to them. And that now the whole family of ten had decided to move in and live like Isan people. I'd probably be a miserable bloke too.

The morbid ones are probably just the ones whom have recently found out that great house they bought does not actually belong to them. And that now the whole family of ten had decided to move in and live like Isan people. I'd probably be a miserable bloke too.

Why should they not live like Isaan people. They ARE probably Isaan people living in Isaan.

I think sometimes, expats need a reality injection to remind them where they are. The majority of us are mere "guests" in other people's world!

• Like 1

and a lot of people who joined such expat clubs in patters ended up loosing more than there sanity but the content of there bankbook according to a certain english journalist who cant be named here.

Would you care to quote anything recent history? i.e. in last 4 - 5 years?

At least one of those clubs announces at the start of each meeting that no speaker or business is endorsed and they are only chosen on the basis of appearing to be in the members interest.

Clubs cannot be responsible for arrangements of which they are unaware. 'Caveat emptor' is always the case - especially in Thailand.

At least one of those clubs announces at the start of each meeting that no speaker or business is endorsed and they are only chosen on the basis of appearing to be in the members interest.

Clubs cannot be responsible for arrangements of which they are unaware. 'Caveat emptor' is always the case - especially in Thailand.

Errr nope i wont quote anything about these so called clubs because of the strict libel laws and defemation of character wich some of these "honest" business people in patters like to hide behind and i dont wont to get banned by the mods.

But most long term expats ive met over the years are wel awere of these individuals maybe you should do some googling to catch up on things.

WOW! Nine whole posts! (or perhaps a retread?)

Errr nope i wont quote anything about these so called clubs because of the strict libel laws and defemation of character wich some of these "honest" business people in patters like to hide behind and i dont wont to get banned by the mods.

But most long term expats ive met over the years are wel awere of these individuals maybe you should do some googling to catch up on things.

The question is COULD YOU quote anything that is RECENT history?

Mate get youre head out of youre arse and look it up on google and the drummond website and you will find cases wich are much more recent than 4 to 5 years as you are saying .

Mate get youre head out of youre arse and look it up on google and the drummond website and you will find cases wich are much more recent than 4 to 5 years as you are saying .

Yes there is/are/maybe case/s for one club, but for the other nothing less than 8 - 10 years ago, notwithstanding media references to more recent activities of 'former officers'.

Edited by DekDaeng

Strange isn't it. I remember a few years ago travelling through Austria and Bavaria and as any person came into the bar or resturaunt and walked past you he would tap the table and say.."Gruss Gott" or something like that in greeting. In Australia we commonnly say hi or g'day to peopl;e when shopping who we have maybe seen once before in the neighbourhood.

Seems it is only taboo here.

Don't retread my tires klik, I buy new ones, take from this comment what you will! Been here only 5 year have seen alot, I'm early 20's BTW.

Been here 5 years and make that sort of silly comment .. Isaan people living like Isaan people?