BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
StevenHeidbriderSr

Miserable,unsmiling,and Forlorn Lookings Farangs.....

^^ that's a really nice thing that you have done ... clap2.gif

With that attitude, I reckon once someone has had the opportunity to spend time with you ... you'll be overrun with friends and acquaintances.

Nice positive story.

Agreed! wink.png

I tend to smile and nod say Hello if they look at least a bit friendly. If I see someone sitting outside ( I live in a small town, not in the city) I will stop and chat. Often its the new teacher at the school (changed every 3 months, I think). Most the expats here get together on Sat. and drink-- I don't drink much and tire of the "drink" talk. Its nice to just chat and see how the others are doing.

Doubt you are alone in finding this sort of reaction. I'll bet the Canadian is more at peace with his life here than some poor souls that seem to spend most of their time holding the closet door shut for fear the skeletons will escape. I am 17 years older than my wife of twelve years, and no, we didn't meet on the ballroom floor of a five star hotel.

Your wife is twelve?Those Isaan girls sure do grow up fast!w00t.gif

Probablly hails from Arkansas.

Having made eye contact and been drawn into long boring conversations with a few people with whom I have nothing in common apart from being foreign in a foreign land I now adopt the policy of keeping my head down and myself to myself. Sorry if that makes me grumpy and boring, but in truth, I find it strange that some people feel the need to constantly be seeking out someone new to talk to.

• Like 2

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

haha a story from my missus the other day reminds me why i tend not to speak. the other day she was in the park in the town we live in the uk, with my daughter, when she got talking a fellow mum. the lady said he father, sat nearby, had lived in thailand for 18 years. so my missus presumed he'd been a businessman or something. but no he'd done 18 years hard time for drug smuggling. he then comes over and starts speaking thai to my missus and tells her to live inside prison...a complete stranger telling personal stuff like this i can do without

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

• Like 1

When you have lived the life as an expat for some years, you hear so many stories from other expats that are just plain stupid,lies, uninteresting babble about other business, that it does make you want to keep yourself to yourself.

It is a shame but that's (expat) life!!!!

Sorry some more B/S do you think a Brit would do 18years in a Thai jail, after a short period maybe 5 years they are shipped back to UK or released on one of many of the King's yearly pardons.

Was he South African? A quick search shows a number of Farangs inside longer than 5 years, the longest a South African who did 18 years.

Why, on Earth, do you think that they wish to acknowledge you ... let alone interact with you?

Relevant just before the 1 minute mark.

If that same person (you mention in your OP) was back in your home country and you met them in a TESCO/WalMart etc ... would even engage in eye-contact ... we both know the answer is no!

So why, once you have made the great swim across the pond, do you think that the other person shares anything in common with you?

It's actually a racial comment in your OP because you are making a decision based on skin colour.

You OP says more about yourself then others.

Just relax.  If you wish to make friends from your Culture ... great ... but picking them up in TESCO maybe not the smartest strategy.

Yep ... I know where my coat is.

Back HOME people say g'day... Hi. Hows it going?. And smile. I am sure you do too.

Sawasdee is nice. It doesnt hurt to be nice

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am bewildered by this concept that just because we're both white trudging around tesco that we should have some type of secret fraternity and instant bond. I have little interest in beer bars and mia nois or "going native". So excuse me if I don't run up to every white face pushing around their grocery cart wearing 7 amulets, flip-flops a tank top and sporting their best hangover with their mia close behind announcing in amplified and irritatted tones "Why we need? I have home. I buy market more cheap." (Real description, location has been changed to protect the innocent)

Just cos you're white doesn't make you mylong lost buddy. Just cos your not white does not exclude you from being my good friend. It's not the colour, its the person.

And how do you know the person if your head is always up your arse. I know you are a business man

It seems many older farang are trapped here, possibly financially unable to leave, and they are miserable. No where on earth have I seen so miserable looking and unfriendly foreigners than in SE Asia. It is sad really.

• Like 1

I am bewildered by this concept that just because we're both white trudging around tesco that we should have some type of secret fraternity and instant bond. I have little interest in beer bars and mia nois or "going native". So excuse me if I don't run up to every white face pushing around their grocery cart wearing 7 amulets, flip-flops a tank top and sporting their best hangover with their mia close behind announcing in amplified and irritatted tones "Why we need? I have home. I buy market more cheap." (Real description, location has been changed to protect the innocent)

Just cos you're white doesn't make you mylong lost buddy. Just cos your not white does not exclude you from being my good friend. It's not the colour, its the person.

The courtesy of a 'nod' or a "Good Morning", after eye contact with someone, is never wrong in my book.

It does not commit you to a long-term relationship or even link you as friends on Facebook !

Exaclty. If you nod or smile at someone, that person should do the same in return. There is a basic courtesy that should be shared among people who do not still drag their knuckles on the ground.

• Like 2