Miserable,unsmiling,and Forlorn Lookings Farangs.....

StevenHeidbriderSr

When I'm out shopping there's nothing I like more than when a complete stranger comes up and wants to be friends.

... depends on just how cute she is ... and the proximity of my girlfriend at the time ... w00t.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To-day is Monday for all the Grump's go back to bed and get out the other side it might turn out to be a nice day. If you see a white man coming towards you in the supermarket run the other way he might bite you.

I'm always up for a gab, I don't think there is any farangs in my village so if it means stopping and chatting in the aisles of big c, then so be it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same here. I am the only Farang in the village. I have been here about a year and a half and speak only Rudimentary Thai. I don't seem to have an Aptitude for learning a new language at least at my age of 58. I do speak some German but that was learned in my Teens and have even forgotten most of that LOL I guess I do look forward to an English spoken "hello how are you?" too much when I am out and about and that's my problem not those other Farangs.

I guess what I want is for We Farangs to SMILE as the physical act of smiling will in fact make you and all those around you feel better.

Edited by StevenHeidbriderSr

Almost 20 years back I was at a hotel pool in Pattaya and had -- as a Yank -- spent some time with a Swedish guy. One morning I accompanied him to a table where there were some retired Brits. The Swedish gent and I sat down and we all chatted for a while.

The next morning I was out by the pool without the Swedish gent and I causally started to say hello and sit down by the British gents from the day before when one of them said "We didn't ask for you to sit here. We don't want you to sit here. We don't want your company." At which I excused myself and said that it won't happen again ... and that was a lesson learned.

Sorry to hear that being a Brit myself
I also have a problem with the uninvited sitting with me.

The unusually dressed and strange looking are not welcome.

Easy cure, headphones on.

Some just don't get the hint though.

It seems many older farang are trapped here, possibly financially unable to leave, and they are miserable. No where on earth have I seen so miserable looking and unfriendly foreigners than in SE Asia. It is sad really.

I'm afraid that that is the conclusion that I have come to also. All their money spent on a house and afraid of being thrown out or worse by their ex-bar girl wife..

The last place I lived in in Switzerland, small mountain village, people would walk back to you if you didn't answer their greeting to ask if you were ok.

And then offer you chocolate,fondue and an offshore tax protection vehicle?

Almost 20 years back I was at a hotel pool in Pattaya and had -- as a Yank -- spent some time with a Swedish guy. One morning I accompanied him to a table where there were some retired Brits. The Swedish gent and I sat down and we all chatted for a while.

The next morning I was out by the pool without the Swedish gent and I causally started to say hello and sit down by the British gents from the day before when one of them said "We didn't ask for you to sit here. We don't want you to sit here. We don't want your company." At which I excused myself and said that it won't happen again ... and that was a lesson learned.

Sorry to hear that being a Brit myself

Seems a bit strange when you consider who Britain's biggest ally is out of the States or Sweden but it taught you the lesson that Pattaya is full of freaks!

It seems many older farang are trapped here, possibly financially unable to leave, and they are miserable. No where on earth have I seen so miserable looking and unfriendly foreigners than in SE Asia. It is sad really.

I'm afraid that that is the conclusion that I have come to also. All their money spent on a house and afraid of being thrown out or worse by their ex-bar girl wife..

The last place I lived in in Switzerland, small mountain village, people would walk back to you if you didn't answer their greeting to ask if you were ok.

And then offer you chocolate,fondue and an offshore tax protection vehicle?

Very funny. Any sensible Swiss would put his money in a bank account on the British Virgins Islands, the Bahamas, Luxembourg, Monaco, Panama, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man. They aren't all bankers, they are generally honest hard working people.

Edited by cooked

I am curious, what do you class as 'unusually dressed and strange looking' ? Edited by DILLIGAD

I am curious, what do you class as 'unusually dressed and strange looking' ?

One exceptional guy who tried to sit near me and talk to me, grossly overweight, white 'buddha day' outfit (not recently washed), shirt undone to his waist, lots of chest hair poking out the gap. Long lank white hair.

I met a Kiwi in the new tops yesterday in Ubon. We both locked eyes said hello and then had a great little conversation.

This is a beautiful story Andrew

This afternoon I had a chance meeting with two old dodgers from Hull (england). Chatted for a few minutes when a couple of Thai guys trying to get their vehicle through a narrow road moved a motorbike. The younger of the two old guys starts in on the Thai guy swearing at him to move the <deleted>^^ing bike back along with a few other derogatory words I will not repeat here. Then proceeds to tell me he hates people who say "no problem"! It is a "problem" on and on he went.

Yep, another reason why I do not leave the village too often and talk with the local bar ex-pats!

I met a Kiwi in the new tops yesterday in Ubon. We both locked eyes said hello and then had a great little conversation.

This is a beautiful story Andrew

This afternoon I had a chance meeting with two old dodgers from Hull (england). Chatted for a few minutes when a couple of Thai guys trying to get their vehicle through a narrow road moved a motorbike. The younger of the two old guys starts in on the Thai guy swearing at him to move the <deleted>^^ing bike back along with a few other derogatory words I will not repeat here. Then proceeds to tell me he hates people who say "no problem"! It is a "problem" on and on he went.

Yep, another reason why I do not leave the village too often and talk with the local bar ex-pats!

I think sometimes these people need a few REAL problems in their lives to put the little silly annoyances into perspective.