Phuket Mob Violently Bounces Aussies From Kangaroo Bar

webfact

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

Makes one ashamed to be Australian!

I agree 100%. Part of the reason I left Australia and moved to Thailand was because of wank_rs like this. Lets face it, we have all seen Aussie guys walking around like their the next UFC fighter or the best thing around. Looks like they may have finally been taught a lesson. Good to see they came to the land of smiles to learn about the people and the culture and to have respect in another country. These idiots can do themselves a favour and once out of Thai jail they should go back to Australia and never return. Even better, put a fence around Australia and don't let any more feral bogans out, it was a prison for convicts after all. I took my Thai partner back to Australia at Christmas time and she was absolutely disgusted by how rude and self absorbed people were. A lot different to those 'nice' Aussies she has come across. Wake up Australia the world actually do not like you. I am ashamed to be Australian and if I could get rid of the accent, it would put me one step further away from such a pathetic country.

Edited by warltier
  • Like 1

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not there fault,..... they were over-served.

How do you know they were "over served"? - the article makes no mention of this...

For all you know, they stocked up before hand at the local 7-11...

Have to feel sympathy for Larry Cunningham, though it might make his case for DFAT to make Phuket an official consulate...

• Like 1

what ever happen who ever is to blame they are lucky they didnt wind up dead.

yes,but they will have to pay for the dammage: 300 barstools ,30 baboo tables,4 motor skooters,20 waches,.....the police.....50 000 to the hospital of the farang they wounded,an nose and tit-job for the lady they slammed........................

beatdeadhorse.gif

Not there fault,..... they were over-served.

How do you know they were "over served"? - the article makes no mention of this...

For all you know, they stocked up before hand at the local 7-11...

Have to feel sympathy for Larry Cunningham, though it might make his case for DFAT to make Phuket an official consulate...

+1

Most sensible post yet!

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

I'm not ashamed to be Australian, but you should be ashamed of yourself for using this bar brawl incident as an excuse to make over the top disparaging comments about Australians.

You left Australia, but you should also leave Thailand because the young people here also have a "seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law".

Interesting story. Made so by the fact that the "mob" was not clearly defined.... Would be curious to know if it was other farang patrons at the bar, or local Thai guys. Looks like they would have pissed off both groups, with the ashtray attack on the American and slapping the bar girl. Impressive to break the guy's leg in a street fight, must have used some furniture on him. And after seeing the photos, it seems to once again solidify the link between excessive tattoos and mindless drunken violence. Regarding their injuries, som nam na !!!!!!!!!

They where warned by Thais & farang alike - they didnt heed the warning!

Tattoos have got nothing to do with it! NO more than singlets or board shorts do!

Well, there actually is a relationship (not a 'perfect' relationship, of course!) between having more than three tattoos and engaging in criminal behaviour: http://courses.ttu.edu/jkoch/Research/Revised%20Resubmission%20SSJ%20May%2009.pdf w00t.gif

This is on a par with those guy that swear they have a relationship with the pool table when they have a few beers! The more I drink the better I play etc..... Not to belittle the 'research', but I am suspecting Texas is a less then optimum sample of population.

How come there was an ashtray there. Smoking is banned in bars.

Hey must have bought it with them in case of trouble!!

When is the last time you went to any tourist destination? Smoking is "allowed" in tourist areas especially in patong... Plus Kangaroo is a pretty much open bar and also non airconditioned which means smoking is allowed in the front and the tables outside

The only thing funny about the article is that the ashtrays are those cheap light aluminum ashtrays that weigh nothing and basically couldnt harm anything... A ring on your finger would do more damage..

Couple of p--s artists get what's coming to them. Good on ya, Mate! Nobody cared about the Yank getting smacked up, but NEVER slap a bargirl in her place of business. You guys new here, eh? Mind your manners or go home.

Speaking as an Australian woman, I would have to say there are a lot of "YOB" Aussie's out there...Tatts and Booze.

Very boring and that is why I am in Thailand to escape the Australian "Cave Man" image.

The Australian culture is conditioned to be obsessed with sport ... makes you a man. Add a good dose of booze and a fight..you've made it as a Aussie male.

• Like 2

I'm a Brit, and the rep we have is really embarrassing, I wouldn't mind if the Ozzies took that over, unfortunately because things like this catch everyone's attention it only takes a stupid minority to create a rep for their fellow countrymen - for every Brit or Ozzie you here causing trouble, just think how many Brits/Ozzies there are about just having fun and not disturbing anyone. Another problem is, if you're a Brit and another man oversteps the line with you and you're in a position where you have to defend yourself, you'll be seen as guilty because of the thuggish yob rep!

• Like 1

Interesting story. Made so by the fact that the "mob" was not clearly defined.... Would be curious to know if it was other farang patrons at the bar, or local Thai guys. Looks like they would have pissed off both groups, with the ashtray attack on the American and slapping the bar girl. Impressive to break the guy's leg in a street fight, must have used some furniture on him. And after seeing the photos, it seems to once again solidify the link between excessive tattoos and mindless drunken violence. Regarding their injuries, som nam na !!!!!!!!!

Tattoos have got nothing to do with it! NO more than singlets or board shorts do!

Well, there actually is a relationship (not a 'perfect' relationship, of course!) between having more than three tattoos and engaging in criminal behaviour: http://courses.ttu.edu/jkoch/Research/Revised%20Resubmission%20SSJ%20May%2009.pdf w00t.gif

There cannot be a link between tattoos and criminality. Thai police are not allowed to have tattoos.

Edited by harrry

This is on a par with those guy that swear they have a relationship with the pool table when they have a few beers! The more I drink the better I play etc..... Not to belittle the 'research', but I am suspecting Texas is a less then optimum sample of population.

The tattoo nazis surface yet again.

I'm an old Yankee, graduated from violent encounters long ago, but really, when the poop rains down, I'd rather have some good old Aussies with me than just about any other group I think of. (That's if the Gurkhas were unavailable, of course.) You guys are all right in my book. You've proved yourselves so many times in all the hellholes of the world: N Africa, Burma, Vietnam, France in WWI, etc etc etc.

These two are probably OK guys ordinarily, and I'm sure they'll think twice before letting it all hang out here in LOS again.

• Like 1

Ahh the old correlation doesn't mean causation...people get it confused ey.

One very good reason why I and many others give Patong a wide berth!!

better to give a wide berth to australians. most of them come here for the wrong reasons

aussies most of the time want to look and behave like "bad ass" this time they got their ass kicked!

Wow another 2 stupid posts. Most of them...ey...how many do you really know? Such generalizations on a forum. Where are you from? Surely we can generalise something about your Nationality.

There is a problem with many Aussie males and their ego's and bullshit. But it's not 'most' of Australians. How about some...which would be more accurate. Plenty of Aussie's come here and have a great holiday without causing fights and trouble. Plenty of families come here too, considering their are direct flights to Thailand from nearly all capital cities in Aus.

Get your head out of your a*** and stop posting your crap.

I agree 100%. Part of the reason I left Australia and moved to Thailand was because of wank_rs like this. Lets face it, we have all seen Aussie guys walking around like their the next UFC fighter or the best thing around. Looks like they may have finally been taught a lesson. Good to see they came to the land of smiles to learn about the people and the culture and to have respect in another country. These idiots can do themselves a favour and once out of Thai jail they should go back to Australia and never return. Even better, put a fence around Australia and don't let any more feral bogans out, it was a prison for convicts after all. I took my Thai partner back to Australia at Christmas time and she was absolutely disgusted by how rude and self absorbed people were. A lot different to those 'nice' Aussies she has come across. Wake up Australia the world actually do not like you. I am ashamed to be Australian and if I could get rid of the accent, it would put me one step further away from such a pathetic country.

So to get away from drunken Australians you moved to a country which is one of the most popular spots for Australian tourists to go for partying? Doesn't make sense. Pakistan would have been a better choice.

And I feel sorry that because 2 drunken idiots from somewhere caused a bar fight (like that never happens anywhere) and made you feel so bad about yourself, perhaps you've got a low self esteem problem. And if you don't like Australia why did you go back there to visit? Sounds like you just see the bad in everything. The country is probably better off without miserable people like you.

I agree, They are full of it. It must be their attitude (and his Thai girlfriends) to blame. I took my wife to visit Australia a year ago. We spent a full month travelling the entire eastern seaboard and didn't have one single incident of people being rude to us. You'd think if people were going to be rude they'd be giving up heaps... a 20 something girl with a 50 something guy... but no, never a problem.

Obviously if we hung out at bars where people are getting pissed it may have been different, but as a general rule Australians are very friendly people and the country is a pleasure to visit. We don't drink or hang out at bars.

I used to do security work at nightclubs. Yes, you always get some aggressive trouble makers in every place where people are getting drunk, but the majority are well behaved.

looking by these pictures it seems there may be more to the story with all the hugging happening. Especially the pic where he didn't want to let go of his "mate"

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mob-violently-bounces-Aussies-from-Kangaroo-Bar-21131.html

Yeah, and I got a kick out of how the journo called the two guys, 'mates', repeatedly. In Oz you wouldn't blink, but it's a Thai-based paper. And the word has additional connotations outside of Oz. whistling.gif

Thankfully I took the time to read the attached story and understood the OP posted a photo of the American victim and not the 2 guys who suffered a bit of justice.

I can't think of a good reason for this, it would have been more appropriate to post the picture of the 2 culprits hugging IMHO.

2 Drunk Australian Tourists Involved In A Brawl In Phuket

2 tourists from Australia came to Phuket for holiday, when they went out at night, they became drunk and unaware of their actions. When the drunk Australian tourists tried to go into a well-known pub in Phuket, they weren’t permitted to go in due to their drunk state.

They were angry that the doorkeeper or bouncer didn’t let them in, they then assaulted an American tourist in front of the pub to express their angriness. It was also reported that they assaulted the bar girls and many more tourists as well. Tourists and nearby people helped to catch the Australians, they were then sent to a nearby hospital as they were injured. The incident happened at Pathong sub-district, Phuket Province.

PHUKET – 24,2013 [PDN]; Phuket police were informed that two tourists assaulted other tourists at Soi Bangla. It was also reported that the tourists had already been caught by other tourists and residents as they fear that others would be further injured by the mad tourist. Police were asked to immediately come to the scene to investigate and arrest the two tourists.

As soon as the incident was reported, a team of police officers was sent out together with Police Lt. General Nikorn Choothong and Police Capt. Kornkrit Kunkrua of Kathu Police station. When police arrived at the scene, they found that over 500 tourists and locals were surrounding the incident. In the middle of the street, police found two tourists who were later identified as Australian tourists. From their Passports, they were identified as 26 year-old Anthony Sounder and 30 year-old Brad Trapp. Both were in a severely injured state and they were also bleeding heavily from their injuries. Police also found an injured American, who was identified as 28 year-old John Hangsa. Witnesses informed the police that the fellow American was assaulted by the two Australians. All three injured tourists were sent to Pathong Hospital

After questioning the two Australian tourists, it was known that they just set foot to Thailand just a day before the incident happened and that it was their first to Thailand. It was also known that they stayed in an apartment at Soi Na-nai in Pathong sub-district. They both went out at night to explore the night-life of Phuket. After having consumed a big amount of alcohol, they were in a drunk state, leading to the reported incident. Anthony, one of the Australian suspect told the police that they wanted to go in to the Hollywood Discotheque, but once they tried to go in, they were rejected by the doorkeeper as he saw them in a heavily drunk state. They were not happy that they were kicked out, so they assaulted and attacked nearby tourists and bar girls with dangerous objects such as chairs or ice blocks.

When other tourists and locals saw their unacceptable behaviour they went in to catch and stop the mad Australians, fearing that anymore people would be assaulted by them. As soon as they were caught, a local called up the police to arrest them, they were later sent to the hospital as they had been injured as well. Police are now investigating the incident and will report further movements on the case.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/05/24/2-drunk-australian-tourists-involved-in-a-brawl-in-phuket/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-05-24

I was also wondering why the American had an ashtray.

"They attacked an American with an ashtray..." whistling.gif

So to get away from drunken Australians you moved to a country which is one of the most popular spots for Australian tourists to go for partying? Doesn't make sense. Pakistan would have been a better choice.

And I feel sorry that because 2 drunken idiots from somewhere caused a bar fight (like that never happens anywhere) and made you feel so bad about yourself, perhaps you've got a low self esteem problem. And if you don't like Australia why did you go back there to visit? Sounds like you just see the bad in everything. The country is probably better off without miserable people like you.

Sounds like someone is hurt because a negative comment was made about Australia.. To reply to your misconceptions. No actually I moved to a country where the people have respect for each other people and because my partner of 2 years is Thai and wanted to be here. So it does make sense. No self esteem problem here and it's not because 2 drunk people got into a fight. Of course this happens everywhere, but it seems when it does happen here there is always some f*#kwit aussie involved. I don't see the bad in everything just in Australia because of the people. The only reason I went back there at Christmas was to sell my house and visit my sick mother, if it wasn't for that I would never go back. The country is miserable, I have travelled all over the world and people don't really like Aussies and the ones that have been to visit don't particularly want to go back, sorry that my comment hurt your feelings.

Smoking is banned in bars? Only time I see smoking out side a place is clubs... I always see people smoking in the bars/pubs, plus the pub mentioned is open air.

2 Drunk Australian Tourists Involved In A Brawl In Phuket

2 tourists from Australia came to Phuket for holiday, when they went out at night, they became drunk and unaware of their actions. When the drunk Australian tourists tried to go into a well-known pub in Phuket, they weren’t permitted to go in due to their drunk state.

They were angry that the doorkeeper or bouncer didn’t let them in, they then assaulted an American tourist in front of the pub to express their angriness. It was also reported that they assaulted the bar girls and many more tourists as well. Tourists and nearby people helped to catch the Australians, they were then sent to a nearby hospital as they were injured. The incident happened at Pathong sub-district, Phuket Province.

PHUKET – 24,2013 [PDN]; Phuket police were informed that two tourists assaulted other tourists at Soi Bangla. It was also reported that the tourists had already been caught by other tourists and residents as they fear that others would be further injured by the mad tourist. Police were asked to immediately come to the scene to investigate and arrest the two tourists.

As soon as the incident was reported, a team of police officers was sent out together with Police Lt. General Nikorn Choothong and Police Capt. Kornkrit Kunkrua of Kathu Police station. When police arrived at the scene, they found that over 500 tourists and locals were surrounding the incident. In the middle of the street, police found two tourists who were later identified as Australian tourists. From their Passports, they were identified as 26 year-old Anthony Sounder and 30 year-old Brad Trapp. Both were in a severely injured state and they were also bleeding heavily from their injuries. Police also found an injured American, who was identified as 28 year-old John Hangsa. Witnesses informed the police that the fellow American was assaulted by the two Australians. All three injured tourists were sent to Pathong Hospital

After questioning the two Australian tourists, it was known that they just set foot to Thailand just a day before the incident happened and that it was their first to Thailand. It was also known that they stayed in an apartment at Soi Na-nai in Pathong sub-district. They both went out at night to explore the night-life of Phuket. After having consumed a big amount of alcohol, they were in a drunk state, leading to the reported incident. Anthony, one of the Australian suspect told the police that they wanted to go in to the Hollywood Discotheque, but once they tried to go in, they were rejected by the doorkeeper as he saw them in a heavily drunk state. They were not happy that they were kicked out, so they assaulted and attacked nearby tourists and bar girls with dangerous objects such as chairs or ice blocks.

When other tourists and locals saw their unacceptable behaviour they went in to catch and stop the mad Australians, fearing that anymore people would be assaulted by them. As soon as they were caught, a local called up the police to arrest them, they were later sent to the hospital as they had been injured as well. Police are now investigating the incident and will report further movements on the case.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/05/24/2-drunk-australian-tourists-involved-in-a-brawl-in-phuket/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-05-24

I reckon this whole report is fabricated nonsense and a lousy attempt to cover up heavy handed treatment by bouncers.

"When other tourists and locals saw their unacceptable behaviour they went in to catch and stop the mad Australians, fearing that anymore people would be assaulted by them."

Give us a break. We're expected to believe that members of the public went in to stop them?

• Like 1