Phuket Mob Violently Bounces Aussies From Kangaroo Bar

webfact

Tropo

The tattoo nazis surface yet again.

Being an tattoo nazi sounds like too much work. Mild amusement would be a more accurate assessment of my attitude towards anyone covered in tattoos.

Have some yourself by any chance?? Have not conducted a poll, but it sure seems that a lot of the farang thugs committing crimes here in Thailand have a lot of tattoos. Must be a coincidence... Carry on.

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

Makes one ashamed to be Australian!

I agree 100%. Part of the reason I left Australia and moved to Thailand was because of wank_rs like this. Lets face it, we have all seen Aussie guys walking around like their the next UFC fighter or the best thing around. Looks like they may have finally been taught a lesson. Good to see they came to the land of smiles to learn about the people and the culture and to have respect in another country. These idiots can do themselves a favour and once out of Thai jail they should go back to Australia and never return. Even better, put a fence around Australia and don't let any more feral bogans out, it was a prison for convicts after all. I took my Thai partner back to Australia at Christmas time and she was absolutely disgusted by how rude and self absorbed people were. A lot different to those 'nice' Aussies she has come across. Wake up Australia the world actually do not like you. I am ashamed to be Australian and if I could get rid of the accent, it would put me one step further away from such a pathetic country.

So to get away from drunken Australians you moved to a country which is one of the most popular spots for Australian tourists to go for partying? Doesn't make sense. Pakistan would have been a better choice.

And I feel sorry that because 2 drunken idiots from somewhere caused a bar fight (like that never happens anywhere) and made you feel so bad about yourself, perhaps you've got a low self esteem problem. And if you don't like Australia why did you go back there to visit? Sounds like you just see the bad in everything. The country is probably better off without miserable people like you.

Sounds like someone is hurt because a negative comment was made about Australia.. To reply to your misconceptions. No actually I moved to a country where the people have respect for each other people and because my partner of 2 years is Thai and wanted to be here. So it does make sense. No self esteem problem here and it's not because 2 drunk people got into a fight. Of course this happens everywhere, but it seems when it does happen here there is always some f*#kwit aussie involved. I don't see the bad in everything just in Australia because of the people. The only reason I went back there at Christmas was to sell my house and visit my sick mother, if it wasn't for that I would never go back. The country is miserable, I have travelled all over the world and people don't really like Aussies and the ones that have been to visit don't particularly want to go back, sorry that my comment hurt your feelings.

Really...well, seems like you had a miserable life/childhood. Every country has it's problems, my 'encounters' and observations with people in Thailand, mostly seems to be drunken Euro's and Brits. If you honestly believe all Thai people respect each other, you have much to learn. Ask your partner and if she's honest, she will tell you...Thai's bitch behind each others back, spread rumours, damage relationships and more, simply out of spite. I love Thailand, but people everywhere have some negative social upbringing attached to them. I'd say you were probably bullied a lot in Aus. Even I was when I was younger (being 'too smart'), but still have a great group of friends back home in Melbourne, which I do miss catching up with, but travel back and forth as much as I can.

It's the old adage, of you attract your own type. Miserable people often draw each other in, happy and 'good' people do the same. I don't have any friends like the above because I choose to avoid them. And LOTS of Australians are NOT like these idiots in the post and people love them (at least the people I have met...again what type of people are you meeting?)

Sorry this seems more a reflection on your rather than the entire country of Australia. The same as a guy who 'falls in love' with a bar girl and then hates Thai girls because she takes everything from him. There is a reason for your anger and it's not because Australians are all bad people.

I watched the latter half of the incident, these guys are lucky to be alive. The guy with the eye injury was pinned down with arms behind his back while about 6 of the street touts kicked and stamped his face and head. The guy with the broken leg ran down towards the beach end of the road, with about 15 locals chasing him. I am sure he got similar treatment. The cops couldn't even stop the mob, they just kept kicking and kicking. It was quite sick to watch, and I had to go home after it .... I did not see the incidents leading up to the beating, just the beating itself.

• Like 1

these people are scum, its a wonder they even let them out. i say close the borders and lock away the keys. it was good enough in the old to transport them for life, not i say lets do it again.

either close the borders or bring back the death penalty for public drukedness

I'm probably not the first to point this out - Australians were never transported - it was the British.

Agreed..uneducated people making outlandish generalisations? Close what borders...How about we kill all stupid people at birth, the world would be a better place then, wouldn't it.

• Like 1

Interesting story. Made so by the fact that the "mob" was not clearly defined.... Would be curious to know if it was other farang patrons at the bar, or local Thai guys. Looks like they would have pissed off both groups, with the ashtray attack on the American and slapping the bar girl. Impressive to break the guy's leg in a street fight, must have used some furniture on him. And after seeing the photos, it seems to once again solidify the link between excessive tattoos and mindless drunken violence. Regarding their injuries, som nam na !!!!!!!!!

They where warned by Thais & farang alike - they didnt heed the warning!

Tattoos have got nothing to do with it! NO more than singlets or board shorts do!

Well, there actually is a relationship (not a 'perfect' relationship, of course!) between having more than three tattoos and engaging in criminal behaviour: http://courses.ttu.edu/jkoch/Research/Revised%20Resubmission%20SSJ%20May%2009.pdf w00t.gif

This is on a par with those guy that swear they have a relationship with the pool table when they have a few beers! The more I drink the better I play etc..... Not to belittle the 'research', but I am suspecting Texas is a less then optimum sample of population.

Ahh the old correlation doesn't mean causation...people get it confused ey.

Well, just to be clear, I never made a causal assertion in my original post. Purely a correlational statement (i.e., that having large numbers of tattoos may be associated with propensity for deviance or committing criminal acts). There are a thousand caveats you can add such as, 1) it doesn't mean that everyone who has a lot of tats is a bad person, or 2) there may be differences across cultures, or 3) there may be important gender differences, or 4) sakyants are different from skull tattoos are different from dolphin or angel tattoos. But I do suspect that, in western countries at least, you'll find a higher per-person tat-count on average in prisons than on campuses (for example).

I watched the latter half of the incident, these guys are lucky to be alive. The guy with the eye injury was pinned down with arms behind his back while about 6 of the street touts kicked and stamped his face and head. The guy with the broken leg ran down towards the beach end of the road, with about 15 locals chasing him. I am sure he got similar treatment. The cops couldn't even stop the mob, they just kept kicking and kicking. It was quite sick to watch, and I had to go home after it .... I did not see the incidents leading up to the beating, just the beating itself.

So mostly locals ?? Were farangs joining in or not?

Great, so finally we have the truth.

These guys were beaten to a pulp by local Thais (who hate Farang) out for some blood. The story was just a cover up for nasty local Thais out for a "fight". These 2 drunken Aussies provided them with an excuse to entertain themselves. The same happens in Pattaya. A couple of drunken guys become abusive and all the Thai bouncers go out and start bashing them.

I'll bet these Aussie guys did not pick up an ashtray or furniture to bash people.

• Like 2

One very good reason why I and many others give Patong a wide berth!!

If the two Australians forced their way into the bar through being intoxicated and started causing trouble and hitting a bargirl, why blame Patong?It would seem the only people to blame here were the Australians.

These guys were beaten to a pulp by local Thais (who hate Farang) out for some blood. The story was just a cover up for nasty local Thais out for a "fight". These 2 drunken Aussies provided them with an excuse to entertain themselves. The same happens in Pattaya. A couple of drunken guys become abusive and all the Thai bouncers go out and start bashing them.

I'll bet these Aussie guys did not pick up an ashtray or furniture to bash people.

The really disturbing thing is that its taken 7 pages of vitriol spewed by holier than thou imbeciles to get somewhere near the truth of the incident.

Many of you are correct. There really are some idiots in this country but these two lads aren't included in that demographic...

• Like 1

Maybe they tried to steal a bar mat to keep as a souvenir. :) :)

• Like 1

This is Phuket. They are lucky they aren't dead.

So according to the OP mob rule is ok. This is the problem with not having real police. No one to call so the mob feels like they have to remedy the problem.

When it's finished, the cops can show up and shake these guys down via ATM.

TiT

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

Some of the most ridiculous, boorish and aggressive behavior I've ever seen in Thailand has all been Australians. I don't know what's going on "down under" but it seems to be a nation pre-disposed to produce scumbags.

I'll tell you what's going on downunder jake. Cheap travel is what it is. if you book a few months ahead, in the low season (low season for low lifes....makes sense!!) you can do Melbourne/Sydney to Bangkok/ Phuket return, for well under $500.00. These yobbos couldn't afford any more, so places like Phuket are stuck with them. They copped what they deserved, and all the understand, a good thrashing. The guy with the broken leg must have been on the end of a kick boxer's wrath??

show me the rates you quote...bullsh!t

One very good reason why I and many others give Patong a wide berth!!

What about the Lee Aldhouse murder? Do you give Rawai "a wide berth" as well?

What about the Michelle Smith murder in Kata? Do you also give Kata "a wide berth" as well?

Need I mention more?

There's violence and crime across the whole island, and it's not getting any better. Especially when you shoot a gun in a public place, in an attempt to murder someone, and miss, hitting two innocent tourists and only do one month in gaol because it was "mediated" away.

The really disturbing thing is that its taken 7 pages of vitriol spewed by holier than thou imbeciles to get somewhere near the truth of the incident.

Many of you are correct. There really are some idiots in this country but these two lads aren't included in that demographic...

Cool your jets....At this point we don't really know what they did to start this fight. For sure they were not sitting quietly discussing a footie game. Sounds like they received a fair amount of punishment, who knows if it was in keeping with whatever they did wrong. Mobs are not known for correctly dispensing the proper level of justice. This story would have had HUNDREDS of witnesses to the fight, I am amazed the Thai media cannot come up with a clear story of what happened, and each person here can decide the position to take on this. Brogans out causing trouble and deserving what happened to them , or good lads with a bit of drink in them who ran afoul of farang hating bouncers....

In my three years working at the Australian embassy from 96-98 I visited Patong regularly to assist Australian warships visiting Ao Makham and anchoring off Patong. During that period I am ashamed to say I saw some of the worst behaviour I have ever seen from Australian servicemen! I visited Patong again as a civilian last year and I was absolutely disgusted at the appearance and behaviour of young Australian "Bogans" there for a week of alcohol abuse and depravity.

It seems Australian tourists are quickly developing a reputation for being the most aggressive and rude nationality across the world. One of the reasons I chose to leave Australia and live in Thailand was the seemingly rampant disregard to the rule of law by the young people of Australia.

Disgusting behaviour by two Australian men who clearly do not know when they have had enough to drink. They must have been truly wasted for the bouncers at Hollywood to refuse them entry judging by the state of some of the people I have seen admitted over the years!

Makes one ashamed to be Australian!

I agree 100%. Part of the reason I left Australia and moved to Thailand was because of wank_rs like this. Lets face it, we have all seen Aussie guys walking around like their the next UFC fighter or the best thing around. Looks like they may have finally been taught a lesson. Good to see they came to the land of smiles to learn about the people and the culture and to have respect in another country. These idiots can do themselves a favour and once out of Thai jail they should go back to Australia and never return. Even better, put a fence around Australia and don't let any more feral bogans out, it was a prison for convicts after all. I took my Thai partner back to Australia at Christmas time and she was absolutely disgusted by how rude and self absorbed people were. A lot different to those 'nice' Aussies she has come across. Wake up Australia the world actually do not like you. I am ashamed to be Australian and if I could get rid of the accent, it would put me one step further away from such a pathetic country.

So to get away from drunken Australians you moved to a country which is one of the most popular spots for Australian tourists to go for partying? Doesn't make sense. Pakistan would have been a better choice.

And I feel sorry that because 2 drunken idiots from somewhere caused a bar fight (like that never happens anywhere) and made you feel so bad about yourself, perhaps you've got a low self esteem problem. And if you don't like Australia why did you go back there to visit? Sounds like you just see the bad in everything. The country is probably better off without miserable people like you.

Sounds like someone is hurt because a negative comment was made about Australia.. To reply to your misconceptions. No actually I moved to a country where the people have respect for each other people and because my partner of 2 years is Thai and wanted to be here. So it does make sense. No self esteem problem here and it's not because 2 drunk people got into a fight. Of course this happens everywhere, but it seems when it does happen here there is always some f*#kwit aussie involved. I don't see the bad in everything just in Australia because of the people. The only reason I went back there at Christmas was to sell my house and visit my sick mother, if it wasn't for that I would never go back. The country is miserable, I have travelled all over the world and people don't really like Aussies and the ones that have been to visit don't particularly want to go back, sorry that my comment hurt your feelings.

where did you live in Australia?

This is on a par with those guy that swear they have a relationship with the pool table when they have a few beers! The more I drink the better I play etc..... Not to belittle the 'research', but I am suspecting Texas is a less then optimum sample of population.

Ahh the old correlation doesn't mean causation...people get it confused ey.

Well, just to be clear, I never made a causal assertion in my original post. Purely a correlational statement (i.e., that having large numbers of tattoos may be associated with propensity for deviance or committing criminal acts). There are a thousand caveats you can add such as, 1) it doesn't mean that everyone who has a lot of tats is a bad person, or 2) there may be differences across cultures, or 3) there may be important gender differences, or 4) sakyants are different from skull tattoos are different from dolphin or angel tattoos. But I do suspect that, in western countries at least, you'll find a higher per-person tat-count on average in prisons than on campuses (for example).

You are right, I wasn't specifically stating you were wrong. I would agree that those involved in these sorts of activities are more likely to have tattoos' then those not involved having them (if that makes sense). Again a generalisation would be that Tattoos often are a reflection of a type of person or a persona, of course not all, but a large percentage would be. I would say it's likely a reflection of the amount of tattoos as well (and what they depict etc).

Some of the most ridiculous, boorish and aggressive behavior I've ever seen in Thailand has all been Australians. I don't know what's going on "down under" but it seems to be a nation pre-disposed to produce scumbags.

I'll tell you what's going on downunder jake. Cheap travel is what it is. if you book a few months ahead, in the low season (low season for low lifes....makes sense!!) you can do Melbourne/Sydney to Bangkok/ Phuket return, for well under $500.00. These yobbos couldn't afford any more, so places like Phuket are stuck with them. They copped what they deserved, and all the understand, a good thrashing. The guy with the broken leg must have been on the end of a kick boxer's wrath??

It's probably closer to $600 return. But it's true Jetstar and Airasia often have sales that allow return airfares for $600.

these people are scum, its a wonder they even let them out. i say close the borders and lock away the keys. it was good enough in the old to transport them for life, not i say lets do it again.

Please beg, borrow or steal a history book - and read it. Transportation for stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family was/is indefensible. Transportation to the other side of the World is a bloody stain on British justice. Care to think of what happened to the families that they left behind?

The death penalty for public drunkenness? Are you mad? A hefty fine, compensation to the bar and payment in full of the hospital bills for starters. Broken leg so you'll need two seats on the plane back home? Suck it up. The Thai Government should sent a diplomatic note to Canberra telling them not to offload Aussie's surplus idiots on LOS.

In early 1957 I was fined five shillings for dancing on top of a telephone box in Plymouth at 0100. More a danger to myself than a member of the public. It was my first night back in the UK after 2 years in the Med serving my country - for not a lot of money. My time included a few days knocking seven bells out of Suez and then three months helping to clear the canal after being transferred to a salvage boat.

• Like 2

R

Australians!

What's a yank doing in an Ozzy bar?
It's obvious. he was smoking.

You had me at: Rowdy, obnoxious, violent, stupid, drunken, gay, hellraising, tattooed, Australians with situational awareness deficit.

It's probably closer to $600 return. But it's true Jetstar and Airasia often have sales that allow return airfares for $600.

I've seen some advertised pretty cheap...but then add the taxes and the price goes up big time.

I'm probably not the first to point this out - Australians were never transported - it was the British.

Agreed..uneducated people making outlandish generalisations? Close what borders...How about we kill all stupid people at birth, the world would be a better place then, wouldn't it.

too right...sounds like old mate Manbing needs to live in Iran or some such place and he would get his wish for the death penalty for drinking...amongst many other "offences". Apparently the public executions are a real drawcard.

Yet another incident where the culprits should be on the first plane home. Thai law is intransigent on other issues, how about supporting the Tourist industry and drawing the line. When Thailand earns a reputation, not as a magnet for drunks and thugs, but as a resort of choice for the civilised tourist, then the Tourist industry will have much to promote.