An Interesting Dilema

A friend of mine has an interesting dilema regarding his living in Thailand. He has recently married a Thai lady and is currently w*rking in Lybia on a 35 days on/35 days off rotation, therefore he is spending 33 days in Thailand each 70 days. As there is not a Thai embassy in Tripoli, he is unable to obtain a visa in that country (whether it be tourist or 'married' visa).

On his first 'visit' back here he presented his dilema to an immigration officer in Don Muang who told him that it would be in order for him to obtain a 30 day stamp and upon leaving pay the Bht 600.00 overstay (3 days) fine, thereby saving him Bht 1,300.00 and the cost of travelling to obtain the 7 day extension. It is appreciated that the saving is not as much since the daily overstay fine increased.

If he obtains a tourist visa (say from Singapore) and then a year's extension based on marriage, (which is not easy given that he is only in country for 33 days) he will not be in country to renew the extension in a year's time.

Any ideas?

His company might agree to 32 days off instead of 35 and him saving the 3 days for the 3rd rotation which would give him 41 days or 9 days extra for which he can get the 10day extension.

His company might agree to 32 days off instead of 35 and him saving the 3 days for the 3rd rotation which would give him 41 days or 9 days extra for which he can get the 10day extension.

A very sound mathematical argument. However, I understand that the rotation revolves around his back-to-back who may not be keen on the idea.

A very sound mathematical argument. However, I understand that the rotation revolves around his back-to-back who may not be keen on the idea.

His back-to-back will go berserk probably :o

Other alternative would be just to leave on time and spend the balance days on the piss in Bahrain or Dubai.

1. You do not extend a tourist visa for one year. A non immigrant O visa stay can be but his work schedule would make it difficult to meet the requirements to present yourself on a specific date.

2. As mentioned he should take a vacation trip to Penang with his wife and obtain a multi entry O visa. This will allow unlimited entry for 12 months. Do again the next year. There is no requirement to stay any set time but each entry allows up to 90 days stay.

3. Do not overstay.

2. As mentioned he should take a vacation trip to Penang with his wife and obtain a multi entry O visa. This will allow unlimited entry for 12 months. Do again the next year. There is no requirement to stay any set time but each entry allows up to 90 days stay.

This is exactly what a friend does working on rotation out of Kasikstan.

Other alternative would be just to leave on time and spend the balance days on the piss in Bahrain or Dubai.

Another sound and undisputable argument. I'll tell him if I see him s*ber before he leaves again. :D

not quite sure what you mean yorkie, exactly whom will be sober :o:D:D

Can't you get at 10 day 'extension' to a 30 day visa exception at any immigration office for 1900 baht?

6 x 1900 = 11,400 baht

Believe a multi entry O visa will be cost effective. Plus not have no visit immigration every other month. Plus not be tempted to overstay. Plus not add to work load of local immigration office.

1. You do not extend a tourist visa for one year. A non immigrant O visa stay can be but his work schedule would make it difficult to meet the requirements to present yourself on a specific date.

I didn't know that. However, can you be issued a retirement extension in the last month of a tourist visa? I personally changed a multi entry 'O' visa (obtained from Singapore with my marriage certificate) into a retirement extension when they reduced the minimum age to 50. However, another friend of mine (who is not married) is considering applying for a retirement extension later this year. He normally visits on a six month validity double entry tourist visa (2 x 60 + 30 days extension) obtained from Adelaide, I believe. Will he need to obtain a multi-entry 1 year 'O' (from Brisbane) in order to apply for his extension?

You just hijacked your own thread. :o

He will have to change that tourist visa to a non immigrant O visa at immigration (extra 2,000 baht cost) and then he can extend that for retirement at 1,900 baht. An extra step but it can be done from a real tourist visa (which he will have).

Believe a multi entry O visa will be cost effective. Plus not have no visit immigration every other month. Plus not be tempted to overstay. Plus not add to work load of local immigration office.
Lopburi, you are so considerate of the immigration office :o but I agree with you fully, for all the reasons you have stated, and more.

A contract worker in Libya is certainly not poorly paid and the idea to save 400 baht every 70 days by overstaying rather than getting an extension was ludicrous (aside from the fact that the official's suggestion was illegal and to follow it would put the tourist at great risk)

---------------

Maestro

A contract worker in Libya is certainly not poorly paid and the idea to save 400 baht every 70 days by overstaying rather than getting an extension was ludicrous (aside from the fact that the official's suggestion was illegal and to follow it would put the tourist at great risk)

Maestro[/size]

The actual saving was Bht 1,300.00 plus the cost of travel to/from immigration and the time involved. I appreciate that it is different now that the overstay fine has increased, and so does he. He and I appreciated that the official's suggestion was illegal but TiT.