Chiang Mai Grand Canyon Where Is It (Or What Is It)

ARISTIDE

People do swim there all the time, fishing I think also. There is a little beach area a lot of people use

There is a sign that says no swimming danger etc.

Just a few weeks ago there was a shack at the top but was just torn down.

There are some high cliffs and sometimes the kids jump from maybe 15- 20 meters.

It's definitely the below coordinates. I bicycle by it all the time on rides up into the mountains.

18°41'53.77" N 98°53'33.96" E

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

If you travel south on Canal Road turn right after Master Piece Moo Baan then left on the next road you will find many places like this ... Hence we are all sitting on the dirt that came out of these canyons .... Further out that same road if you keep going the road forks to the left there is a large area they are excavating far bigger than what is shown here and I would guess much deeper .....

• Like 1

These places are all over the valley, where soil is excavated to provide fill for developments. The deep quarries are then abandoned & fill with water, with very steep sides. No attempt at fencing to keep kids out. If kids fall in, no way out. Can anyone translate the article on cm108.com that the OP is referring to? I presume there's been a drowning.

These places are all over the valley, where soil is excavated to provide fill for developments. The deep quarries are then abandoned & fill with water, with very steep sides. No attempt at fencing to keep kids out. If kids fall in, no way out. Can anyone translate the article on cm108.com that the OP is referring to? I presume there's been a drowning.

From Google translate. Sorry, just no time to check the translation closely.

Over the past six o'clock the children to swim in ponds. (Grand Canyon, Hang Dong), then drowned lost. Another friend who came together to help. It turns out that the two people missing.

Now the wet suit. Looking for. CM108.com ***** team traveled to the scene.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=547451955301039&set=a.126356387410600.16792.111227565590149&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

There must be more than one place like this. I found the place below last year and it was not by Hang Dong, it was around San Sai off the 107...down around Mae Jo. This road also has a canal running along side, but it isnt the canal road that most of us are familiar with. This road can be taken as a parallel route to 107 on the way to Phrao.

Trucks take the sand and water from this pit.

photo0266.jpg

photo0268_001.jpg

• Like 1

Now I thought I know about chiang mai This kind of information humble me real fast! Thanks for sharing

There must be more than one place like this. I found the place below last year and it was not by Hang Dong, it was around San Sai off the 107...down around Mae Jo. This road also has a canal running along side, but it isnt the canal road that most of us are familiar with. This road can be taken as a parallel route to 107 on the way to Phrao.

Trucks take the sand and water from this pit.

From Google translate. Sorry, just no time to check the translation closely.

Over the past six o'clock the children to swim in ponds. (Grand Canyon, Hang Dong), then drowned lost. Another friend who came together to help. It turns out that the two people missing.

Now the wet suit. Looking for. CM108.com ***** team traveled to the scene.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=547451955301039&set=a.126356387410600.16792.111227565590149&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

You could for sure get yourself into some trouble there if you aren't a strong swimmer. There's only two spots that i could see to get out near where everyone swims and they are a decent swim away from where you are.

The restaurant is called ตวงตอง (Tuang Tong Canyon View).

Go up there often. Fab' view and good food at reasonable prices but go lunchtime for faster service. Evenings too dark for the view and too busy as they only have one Chef apparently so it's up to an hour wait for food.

Anyone know what the turn off is to get to the Grand Canyon? Can see anything in Google maps other than a PTT that i cant ever remember seeing out that way.,

Anyone know what the turn off is to get to the Grand Canyon? Can see anything in Google maps other than a PTT that i cant ever remember seeing out that way.,

If you're coming from Town, Canal Road all the way until you pass Hang Dong Golf Club on your left. About another 300 m on your right you will see a turning with 'Canyon View Restaurant' sign on your right, also look for Cement Works set back beyond the road at the same turning. Proceed up a narrow winding road until you meet a crossroads, go across and onto a dirt road for about 300m, turns to your left at the top and entrance is on the left. Reasonable car parking available and best time is lunchtime.

Edited by trainman34014

If you're coming from Town, Canal Road all the way until you pass Hang Dong Golf Club on your left. About another 300 m on your right you will see a turning with 'Canyon View Restaurant' sign on your right, also look for Cement Works set back beyond the road at the same turning. Proceed up a narrow winding road until you meet a crossroads, go across and onto a dirt road for about 300m, turns to your left at the top and entrance is on the left. Reasonable car parking available and best time is lunchtime.

Thanks ! looks like i have something to do tomorrow.

Please exercise caution when swimming here. 2 students from Prince Royal's College drowned there Friday.

RIP to the students.

Which place, Richard10365? There are mention of different places in this thread, more than one being referenced as "Grand Canyon....."

Please exercise caution when swimming here. 2 students from Prince Royal's College drowned there Friday.

RIP to the students.

Which place, Richard10365? There are mention of different places in this thread, more than one being referenced as "Grand Canyon....."

I previously posted the cm108 news report on it where two died and it was at the location of the op. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/641791-chiang-mai-grand-canyon-where-is-it-or-what-is-it/?p=6435022#entry6435022