Krabi: Nine Dead In Phuket Wedding Guest Truck Crash

webfact

what a waste AGAIN,,sadly they wont ever learn,sleeping policemen at blackspots may help,,but i doubt it,,

Sleeping policemen ? they're dozy enough when awake ! :) mind you the idea of running over a few is pretty appealing.

Sooner we have cars that drive themselves on the mass market the better, Especially for the accident rate in Thailand.

Self driving cars are pretty close to reality but I wouldn't want them here in Thailand, if you thought people were complacent about safety now, imagine how blasé people would be with an auto pilot, you would have people in deep sleep at the steering wheel or even laid out on the back seats! Sounds fanciful but we all know that this would happen.

I don't know the exact in's and out's of this bump but heavy rain and a bend notorious enough to be given a special name by the locals, would probably make me slow me down a bit, but then I do realise that actions have consequences, I think learned that when I was about 2 or 3 years old.

It's about time that a few people were publicly shamed and jailed for their disgraceful driving, a lot of people need to lose face in this country for a whole range of issues but I'm not going to hold my breath.

9 dead is a huge number for one accident, but it's just a tiny blip on the radar that is the death toll on the Thai roads. No training for drivers, no traffic enforcement, powerful vehicles, and horribly designed and maintained roads. It can only be a population control measure. There is no other explanation. It's pure madness.

This is what happens when you pile 10 or more people into the back of a pickup without seat belts and roll bars.It's why it's banned in the west.

Police believe road conditions were the cause of the accident. However, they are continuing their investigation.

No. That wasn't the cause.

RIP to all victims and condolences to their families and friends.

Correct "the road was not the cause" it was the 'xxxxwits behind the steering wheels (either one or both)

xxxxwits......loose nut head behind steering wheel more likely.....RIP to victims

Seems like poor driving skills in the rain. Tragic loss of life ... RIP

And obviously a dangerous and deadly corner that many other have died at, hence the fact that turn has a name. But of course, nobody in Thailand would think to fix a lethal hazard. too much work. See you in the next life Somchai!!!

I'm not belittling this sSo so so so sad news, it's just that it's just the same thing all the time. Even after tragedy they don't get and don't think to get it fixed.

Police believe road conditions were the cause of the accident. However, they are continuing their investigation.

Of course it was not the cause, agreed.

What a sad end to the festivities...

But these kind of accidents with many deaths always happen when people are transported back of pickups.

R:I:P:

Too true. Bad conditions is one thing, reckless driving is another. Then you just have plain stupid -- transporting people as if they were cargo. I mean a pick-up is one thing, but you see how many families, children and babies are jammed on a scooter these days.

Life means nothing to these people.

Or maybe they all took out life insurance -- who knows? In that case I wouldn't fear death either. But sure as hell would fear disability.

Edited by theajarn

Typical thai driving was the reason for this disaster, not the road conditions. Any normal driver adjust his speed to accomodate the conditions. I have lived in USA and UK for longer than I have lived in Thailand, but I do not know of one friend or even acquaintance that has been killed in those countries. Here I have lost count ! Darwin,s theory in action, but it is tragic when an expat driving sensibly gets mowed down by these non-thinking maniacs.

A lot of people here in Virginia will disagree, and so will I to a point. Seems the only time people here 'adjust to conditions' is when their vehicle is stuck in the snow.

9 dead is a huge number for one accident, but it's just a tiny blip on the radar that is the death toll on the Thai roads. No training for drivers, no traffic enforcement, powerful vehicles, and horribly designed and maintained roads. It can only be a population control measure. There is no other explanation. It's pure madness.

This is what happens when you pile 10 or more people into the back of a pickup without seat belts and roll bars.It's why it's banned in the west.

Should be allowed in the west, and banned in the east...

But these kind of accidents with many deaths always happen when people are transported back of pickups.

Kind of have to disagree on that one, people are transported in pick ups every day - No problem, it just seems as usual there was an areshole driving the pick up!

Typical thai driving was the reason for this disaster, not the road conditions. Any normal driver adjust his speed to accomodate the conditions. I have lived in USA and UK for longer than I have lived in Thailand, but I do not know of one friend or even acquaintance that has been killed in those countries. Here I have lost count ! Darwin,s theory in action, but it is tragic when an expat driving sensibly gets mowed down by these non-thinking maniacs.

Totally agree, driven by an <deleted>! and everyone else pays the price!

9 dead, 10 injurred. So a total of AT LEAST 19 people between two regular pickup trucks (not extended cab trucks). So 2 or 3 people *maybe* in the cab, that leaves 11 more between the two beds of trucks. Not really surprised at the death count when seatbelts aren't being worn and you're outside of the truck.

Tragedy but not a surprise. Everyone posting knows the drivers hear cut corners all the time

and never drive according to conditions. It is always sunny and dry in there world so

pedal to the metal all the time.

RIP

RIP to those killed. Such a waste of life.

I agree that the road conditions weren't the cause of the accident and the fact the police have apparently said this shows how little they know about driving. Driving in rain won't cause you to lose control. What will is excessive speed, overloaded vehicle and aquaplaning possibly due to lack of tread depth on the tyres. The only possible mitigating factor could be standing water obscured by a corner but if you're driving at the right speed then even this should be avoidable.

Kind of have to disagree on that one, people are transported in pick ups every day - No problem, it just seems as usual there was an areshole driving the pick up!

I agree the driver is responsible but as andygunther says the number of deaths is a consequence of large numbers of people unsecured in the pick up bed. If you hit something everyone is thrown forward crushing those in front and if you're thrown out you are in trouble anyway. Those inside the cab possibly weren't wearing seat belts either and if there are back seat passengers without belts then they can hit those in front. Accidents will happen and sometimes they're caused by other but that's the reason for taking precautions.

When it comes to your 'population control measure' hypothesis ... are you sure it should be labeled as 'pure madness'? Oh, yeah don't forget about poorly-maintained vehicles and the alcohol factor.

At a wild guess, I'd say the back of each pick up was crammed with guests.

I see it every day on the highway, with about 10 - 12 workers squeezed into the back, along with timber, iron etc.

Not much chance for the passengers when these things collide or roll.

Im actually staying inside the Klongthom Police Station, if I'm not mistaken almost 20+ ambulance are all rushing to the scene during that time, I know Its a huge accident, but I never thought of that number of casualty. :(

RIP

from experience the slightest moisture on the roads is enough to slide on the corners

That is actually when the roads are the slickest. I watched one day the motorists on one hill coming down into Kata here in Phuket after it rained just enough to moisten the roads after 3 weeks of no rain. The oil and rubber that had collected on the road since the last rain mixes with the water and becomes slicker than snot. One bike after another went down, and those are bikes doing 10-20km. You couldn't even stand up on it. Most people, like myself, pulled off the road realizing it was essentially impassable until it either rained harder or dried. This is also a problem with the water trucks as they are too lazy to close the lids of the tanks and so splash water all over the roads. Coming down the same road mentioned above one day I saw 3 different bikes down after a water truck had spilled water on the roadway after a period of no rain. All were Thai, and one old lady was being tended to by an ambulance crew.