BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thai Energy Minister Must Quit Over Blackouts: Poll

Minister must quit over blackouts: poll
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Energy Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal must resign to take responsibility for the blackout in all 14 provinces of the South last Tuesday, according to the majority of respondents in an Abac Poll.

Of the 2,075 respondents, 55.7 per cent said the energy minister should be held responsible for the embarrassing power outage. They said he must also take responsibility for the damage to electricity appliances caused by many blackouts. Another 37 per cent said it should be the Cabinet's responsibility, about 11 per cent said government agencies were to blame while one per cent said the people should take responsibility.

More than 82 per cent of respondents said the blackout affected foreigners' confidence in Thailand, but 17.5 per cent said they did not think so.

Assumption University's Abac Poll released the survey results saying about one-third of respondents thought the whole Cabinet must take responsibility for the incident. Seven per cent of respondents said government agencies should be held responsible for the incident while 2.2 per cent said it was the people's own responsibility.

The survey was conducted among people aged 18 and above in 17 provinces of all regions, between Wednesday and Friday. Some of the respondents live in the southern provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

About 60 per cent of the respondents said they were worried about crime, terrorism and other safety problems in the South after the blackout; 31.6 per cent said they felt the same before and after the incident; while about 8 per cent of respondents said they felt nothing.

However, about 4 out of 5 people said they were confident related agencies would be able to improve Thailand's electricity system before the Asean Economic Community while the others said they did not believe so.

Abac Poll assistant director Puntharee Isarangkul na Ayutthaya said the blackout only occurred in one region but caused a lot of damage to individuals, people's lives, electricity appliances and had great impact on trade and services, including restaurants, factories and hotels as well as tourism.

The government should take urgent measures to regain the confidence of investors, and to prepare for the Asean community, she said.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said the opposition Democrat Party should not call for Pongsak's resignation, as the power outage was an accident.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-26

The other paper includes another stat that 60% of respondents are in a state of panic.

I wonder how many of them actually knew about the blackout at the time it occurred, given that only 3 of the 17 provinces are in the south.

What a joke, if i see any PTP minister resign for poor performance or scandal i will be amazed.

• Like 2

The other paper includes another stat that 60% of respondents are in a state of panic.

I wonder how many of them actually knew about the blackout at the time it occurred, given that only 3 of the 17 provinces are in the south.

Agree with the sentiments of your post!thumbsup.gif

But there are 76 provinces (changwats) in Thailand!

Agree with the sentiments of your post!thumbsup.gif

But there are 76 provinces (changwats) in Thailand!

Yes ... but only 17 are regularly used in these polls.

• Like 1

Lost my Wi-Fi AP Thanks!

and completely messed up my aquariums filter cycles.

How hard is it to order gas and coal? Oh wait the super markets cant even keep their shelves stocked half the time, so why would we assume you can keep the electrical supply stocked.

Now my house to invest in crap loads UPS to prevent any future issues for your next mess up.

A blackout like that can also happen in Europe – it did indeed in Southern Scandinavia some years ago. It’s an incident, not somebody’s fault – and it seems from the news like EGAT or authorities acted quickly to compensate with alternative sources and reinstate the power. However, if happens again and again, then someone in charge may not be doing the job well enough.

Lost my Wi-Fi AP Thanks!

and completely messed up my aquariums filter cycles.

How hard is it to order gas and coal? Oh wait the super markets cant even keep their shelves stocked half the time, so why would we assume you can keep the electrical supply stocked.

Now my house to invest in crap loads UPS to prevent any future issues for your next mess up.

Everyone I know of here uses protecting devices or UPS' for critical electronics.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In these situations the matter needs to be cleared up as quickly as possible, the matter of responsibility lies with the generating authority for that area, the Minister should have issued a directive to this effect and remedial action should have commenced cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think a lot of Thais believe that the incident was not accidental but part of the government's campaign to site coal-fired power stations in the broad southern region. Krabi is the guinea pig.

I don't think that the energy minister should resign because of the blackout but he should because he is a dick head.

• Like 1

No government agency in Thailand gives a damn about "demand and supply", ...

A blackout like that can also happen in Europe – it did indeed in Southern Scandinavia some years ago. It’s an incident, not somebody’s fault – and it seems from the news like EGAT or authorities acted quickly to compensate with alternative sources and reinstate the power. However, if happens again and again, then someone in charge may not be doing the job well enough.

Well, it first happened on Koh Samui earlier this year. Now the entire southern region. What do you think may happen next? Preventative Maintenance is not used here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the attitude.

• Like 1

Except their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...nor anybody either!