10 Years Continuous Sobriety One Day At A Time

Heartiest congrats.You must be very proud of yourself.

I'm just a mere whipper-snapper with barely 2 1/2 years sobriety under my belt.

I will never catch you up, as if I ever make it to ten years, you will have moved on to 17.5 years.

Well done to you and all those good folk at AA who have helped you along your way.

Respect,

Mobi

wai.gif

• Like 1

why do ex drinkers have to go on about it all the time, pathetic.

If I forget I am an alkie I'll die - simple as that. I am very happy to agree that I am pathetic, 54 going about 14 in real terms.

• Like 2

Can you expand on why you feel it is pathetic to feel pride about an accomplishment?

Edited by rucus7
  • Like 2

You may as well ask why do moaners on these forums always look for something to moan about?

Well done OP, more power to your elbow.

Good for you, my friend. Don't mind the naysayers, they are no doubt drowning in a glass of cheap whisky. You are to be congratulated. Make the most of the steps, it's one thing to be sober, it's another to actively pursue recovery.

Just a couple of thoughts. I disagree with you Alfalfa 19 in saying there were naysayers prior to your post. Rather I would say there are those who noted their lack of appreciation for some who play the "holier than thou" role. I'm not saying the OP did such a thing. Personally if it was a personal goal of the OP I'd congratulate him as I would a person who stopped smoking by choice or someone who lost weight through their own effort. (loss by disease doesn't count)

For myself, once I decided to stop smoking years ago, I made the decision I'd never run down the block to berate someone who I saw smoking in a no smoking area or who lights up in my presence. Hell, I say "light um if ya got um".

The OP did well and achieved what he sought to achieve. I wish him well in the future and hope he stays free of alcohol if that's what he wants.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

Heartiest congrats.You must be very proud of yourself.

I'm just a mere whipper-snapper with barely 2 1/2 years sobriety under my belt.

I will never catch you up, as if I ever make it to ten years, you will have moved on to 17.5 years.

Well done to you and all those good folk at AA who have helped you along your way.

Respect,

Mobi

wai.gif

Thanks Mobi. on the day at a time principle we have exactly the same length of sobriety: our day began at midnight and ends at midnight: if we go without drinking for 24 hours we have the same amount of sobriety. Keep going strong and enjoy your recovery!

Good for you, my friend. Don't mind the naysayers, they are no doubt drowning in a glass of cheap whisky. You are to be congratulated. Make the most of the steps, it's one thing to be sober, it's another to actively pursue recovery.

Just a couple of thoughts. I disagree with you Alfalfa 19 in saying there were naysayers prior to your post. Rather I would say there are those who noted their lack of appreciation for some who play the "holier than thou" role. I'm not saying the OP did such a thing. Personally if it was a personal goal of the OP I'd congratulate him as I would a person who stopped smoking by choice or someone who lost weight through their own effort. (loss by disease doesn't count)

For myself, once I decided to stop smoking years ago, I made the decision I'd never run down the block to berate someone who I saw smoking in a no smoking area or who lights up in my presence. Hell, I say "light um if ya got um".

The OP did well and achieved what he sought to achieve. I wish him well in the future and hope he stays free of alcohol if that's what he wants.

One of the amazing things is this: I am not really bothered about other people's drinking or indeed smoking. For instance I don't go round bars trying to help drunks and I am only anti-alcohol in respect of myself. I rarely volunteer information about my alcoholism - it's not something I shout about but the people who know and care for me and vice versa, they know.

When we have parties at home I am quite happy, for instance, to provide drinks. By choice I don't spend a lot of time in "wet" places but when I am around alcohol it doesn't bother. I find drunks quite interesting as they usually afford a window into how I used to be!

AA taught me that starting out with an objective of life long sobriety was too much of a burden for an alcoholic - keep it simple and just concentrate on 24 hours at a time, and even within that, if necessary concentrate on an hour at a time. That's how I managed to hit double digit years.

Congrats on 10 years, many years ago I was drinking 3 to 5 bottles of beer every night after work I realize that this was not a good thing so I said okay from now on I will only drink on my days off. Since then my drinking has got less and less. Fortunately I did not have to join AA to cut back, I was able to do it on my own

O think I caught myself before I became a full alchoholic. Today I drink maybe once a week with my friends when we get together for dinner, and even then I keep it to two large beers, sometimes if I don't have to drive I might have a few more.

I am glad I did not have to quit completely but for those who did and have managed to do it, you have all my respect.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2