Atm Charge Increased...............

With these increases ... a 12 to 15% shortfall in currency exchange (British pound) in the last 6 months and inflation - possible another 5/6% .. is Thailand finally losing it's attractioness ....

Add dirty, polluted beaches ... Hua Hin for example ... maybe time to rethink ...

Use a fx company GCEN is the best I've used transfer any currency to your thai bank for FREE. Lock in better rates and withdraw for free. It has to be a better idea than using an ATM card from your own country. Use code 1651 0100 from Thailand.

They will even call you back. Register online and send an online ute bill and copy of passport and you're good to go!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I dont think you understood what I was saying in the past I have withdraw 20.000 baht from the Thai ATM machines using my HSBC ATM Card .

Now we all know a few years ago they put on this 150 Baht ok , That I can live with !

However today I went to withdraw 20.000 baht but I was told by the ATM machine that the card limit was 10.000 so for me to get my 20.000 I had to put my ATM card in Twice .

Since I had to put my card in the machine Twice I was charged a Total of 360 Baht by the ATM machine Plus HSBC also charge you for using a None HSBC ATM machine which is about £10.00 .

so 360 Baht = £7.79 so the total amount to get to your own money is about just short of £18.00 .

Now I have check with HSBC in Singapore and they have said they only way round this is to use there ATM machines problem is the only HSBC ATMs that I know of are in Bangkok .

Sometimes I think banks lock there brightest and dumbest employees in a room and tell them then can't go home until they figure out how to increase fee revenue without raising fees. So, they end-up thinking of ways to increase usage frequency liking forcing a person into using an ATM more often like lowering the amount allowed per withdrawal which can force more foreign transaction fees.

RE HSBC and Thailand, hadn't they decided to exit retail banking in Thailand and to close their BKK branch locations?

I know they decided on that move, but I don't remember what the timetable for implementation was... I think it was supposed to have already occurred.

But I haven't been by their main Silom area branch location lately, nor do I recall if they had any plan to leave any HSBC ATMs behind. I don't recall ever hearing they planned to do that.

Well should HSBC be pulling out out of Thailand at this rate it might be more straight forward just to jump on the Bus or Train from Hat Yai to Singapore go to the bank and bring back cash to Thailand .

And even then your need to change the money so you cant beat the system , But its very clear if they can limit your withdraw to just 10.000 Baht and charge you 180 Baht for every time you use your ATM card whats to stop them from cutting it down to a Max amount of 5000 Baht with a fee of 200 baht its clear the sky is the limit .

But Hat Yai to Bangkok is about the same distance as Hat Yai To Singapore so if you are correct that the HSBC branch in Bangkok is to close then it will be a case of going all the way down to Singapore so you can go to the ATM machine .

Just think about it people in the past have gone for a visa run how about a ATM run .

Amazing Thailand !

Here's the HSBC Thailand announcement I was referring to about their exiting the personal banking business in Thailand. And if you look as their Thailand homepage now, you'll only see reference to commercial banking, not personal.

http://www.hsbc.co.th/1/2/bkh2/personal/announcement

Their January 2012 announcement included the following:

Please be advised that our Main Branch on Rama IV Road will be closed on 30 June 2012 and Thonglor Branch will be closed on 31 March 2012. Until Completion occurs, we invite you to make use of our banking services as usual, including deposit and withdrawal services, selling and buying of unit trusts, cheque book services, ATM and card services, credit cards, personal loans, mortgages, overdrafts, foreign currency exchange and international banking services

It looks like they kept their offices in the HSBC Building on Rama IV Road near Silom. But I can't tell if they have any ATMs left behind there. Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Sub, I don't know what's going on with your situation...but here's some general banking guidance:

In Thailand, generally, ATM machines can physically dispense AT LEAST 20 bills per withdrawal, and different banks have different machines than can do more. So usually, they COULD dispense at least 20,000 or more per withdrawal, assuming the machine had a supply of 1000 baht bills.

And AFAIK, other than the physical limits of their ATM machines, Thai banks don't place limits on how much someone can withdraw using some other bank's ATM card.

So usually, when you get to talking about limits on ATM withdrawals, it more often is the card user's HOME COUNTRY bank/CARD ISSUING bank whose ATM withdrawal limits come into play. Some banks have a default daily limit for ATM withdrawals that can't be changed. Others have a default limit, and then allow users to adjust the limit if they opt to.

In the U.S., for example, it's probably pretty common for a bank debit/ATM card to have a daily ATM cash withdrawal limit of between $300 and $500 U.S. So as that rate, such a card holder in Thailand would never get close to hitting those limits (9000 to 15,000 baht) via a single day's single ATM withdrawal.

The only different scenarios I can think of are:

1. Sometimes if Thai ATMs run out of 1000 baht bills, they switch to the next available denomination, being 500 baht bills. So in that case, the amount someone could withdraw in one transaction would be physically cut in half.

2. Some banks aggregate POS purchases with ATM cash withdrawals on a daily basis. So if you had used a card to make a large purchase that same day, some banks would count that against your ATM withdrawal limit. But I don't think that's common.

In short, if you're only able to withdraw 10,000 from a Thai ATM, chances are it's some limitation from the bank that issued your ATM card.

• Like 1

Well I have used my card all over the place and I have been using the same Atm machine for the past 18 years and I all ways been able to withdraw 20.000 in one go until now.

Yes I can still withdraw 20.000 but I must use the Atm machine twice so its got nothing to do with the limit on the card it just wants you to use your card Twice so you end. Up having to pay. A total of 360 Baht on ATM fees .

When you try to withdraw 20.000 it says “ The max you can withdraw with master card is 10.000 Baht .

But this is a standard HSBC ATM card .But your right I will try some other ATM machines and see what happens .

I will be speaking to HSBC tomorrow because this is not on having to pay 360. Baht for ATM fees and on top of that what ever HSBC is going to charge you .Which I understand is going to be around £10.00 so like I said £18.00 just to get to your own money .

Pib, I'm thinking you meant foreign MASTERCARDS going to 180 baht per withdrawal.... not all foreign cards...

From all prior indications, the rate on foreign VISA cards remains at 150 baht, right???

For tset purposes I tried my Charles Schwab Visa debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM this morning and the fee screen that popped up said 150 baht. I then cancelled the trandaction. So, 180 baht fee for a MasterCard (per earlier test) and 150 baht fee for a Visa card.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Pib, I'm thinking you meant foreign MASTERCARDS going to 180 baht per withdrawal.... not all foreign cards...

From all prior indications, the rate on foreign VISA cards remains at 150 baht, right???

For tset purposes I tried my Charles Schwab Visa debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM this morning and the fee screen that popped up said 150 baht. I then cancelled the trandaction. So, 180 baht fee for a MasterCard (per earlier test) and 150 baht fee for a Visa card.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

What's the maximum amount limit per day on Schwab atm cards? 1000$ ? Can it be increased to 2000 $?

I will be speaking to HSBC tomorrow because this is not on having to pay 360. Baht for ATM fees and on top of that what ever HSBC is going to charge you .Which I understand is going to be around £10.00 so like I said £18.00 just to get to your own money .

Please do post back after you've had a chance to talk to HSBC, and let's see if they had anything to do with this.

I suppose it's also possible something changed with using MCs in Thailand at the same time the Thai banks' raised their withdrawal fee to 180 baht a shot.. But I'm still betting it has something to do with your card issuing bank.

What's the maximum amount limit per day on Schwab atm cards? 1000$ ? Can it be increased to 2000 $?

I too have never had the need to go beyond Schwab's standard $1000 per day cap on ATM withdrawals using their debit card.

But I'm pretty sure, they'd at least be amenable to raising your limit on a one-time or occasional basis based on request from the cardholder... even if they wouldn't raise the limit overall. But they might be willing to do that as well.

Yes I had a chat with HSBC in Singapore and the problem is that these ATM machines that I use have been limited to only 10.000 Baht if however I go up the stairs to the main Lobby of the bank you can with draw 20.000 Baht .

In fact looking back on things when they started charging this 150 baht the ATM machines on the bottom level were limit then to 10.000 Baht because I went inside the bank and they told me to use The ATM on the first floor .

However we are still left with paying 180 Baht plus your own banking charges which in my case is about £10 just to get to YOUR own money but there is no way am I going to open up a Thai Bank account here but what ever you do you cannot beat the system .In the 18 years I have been living here I have seen the cost of living here go up and up I hate to think what its going to be like in 10 years time.

Sub101uk

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

First, have read elsewhere that Aeon now charges 150B per withdrawal.

Some people suggest going inside the bank and withdrawing any amount exceeding the ATM limit at the machine outside. I worry about the fees for doing this and whether the exchange rate might be lower on the inside, though this seems unlikely.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

First, have read elsewhere that Aeon now charges 150B per withdrawal.

Some people suggest going inside the bank and withdrawing any amount exceeding the ATM limit at the machine outside. I worry about the fees for doing this and whether the exchange rate might be lower on the inside, though this seems unlikely.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

There is a thread running with all the current information, read it.

guys for those that know I have a question

I've been told that I can go into a bank branch here with my UK visa debit card and make a withdrawal over the counter e.g. Bangkok Bank

Is there any information on this, what exchange rate is used - is it the same exchange rate as the visa system that is applied during an ATM withdrawal or does the bank apply their own rate, any info appreciated Thx

guys for those that know I have a question

I've been told that I can go into a bank branch here with my UK visa debit card and make a withdrawal over the counter e.g. Bangkok Bank

Is there any information on this, what exchange rate is used - is it the same exchange rate as the visa system that is applied during an ATM withdrawal or does the bank apply their own rate, any info appreciated Thx

You'll get the Visa exchange rate at Bangkok Bank...shouldn't be a Bangkok Bank charge for the counter withdrawal if they do it. But remember if your home country bank issuing your card has a foreign transaction fee your home country bank will apply their fee so don't blame it on Bangkok Bank. Over in another thread on AEON ATMs now charging a Bt150 the use of debit and credit cards to accomplish a counter withdrawal has been discussed. Some successes and some failures.

Click this Link to take you to "one" of those posts in that thread...it links to one of my posts where I had success with a credit card on 15 Feb but as you read in the post I had zero success with a debit card just the day before. Other posts in the thread talk about the success or failure some folks have had in using debit or credit cards for counter withdrawals/cash advances...most of the counter withdrawal posts are in the later half of replies since there are over 400 replies in the thread so far talking about AEON ATMs now charging the fee and the thread then kinda mutated into talking debit/credit card counter withdrawals and wire transfers.