Feel Good Here In Chiang Rai...

little_muppet

Hey guys....long time i was away to this forum.. i was in my trip at Petchburi and Chonburee ( this time) it was a good trip thro but i was missing Chiang rai so much when i was there.... the people are different... even i like the new things new environments and i have been to this places many times but always the same feeling that Chiang rai is the best.. SO since i wasnt here, any news and events in chiang rai? ohh yes where is the best place to find great meat steak in chiang rai? so hungry now... im glad to be here again.. :o

Hey guys....long time i was away to this forum.. i was in my trip at Petchburi and Chonburee ( this time) it was a good trip thro but i was missing Chiang rai so much when i was there.... the people are different... even i like the new things new environments and i have been to this places many times but always the same feeling that Chiang rai is the best.. SO since i wasnt here, any news and events in chiang rai? ohh yes where is the best place to find great meat steak in chiang rai? so hungry now... im glad to be here again.. :o

Though I agree with you about Chiang Rai ,most of the time, It is not a very desirable place to be at the moment.

Look out your window .............only smog.

I have just heard that there was a large uncontrolable fire in The Puchifah area.........any confirmation ?

There's a similar thread on the Chiang Mai forum........[.haze spreading in Chiang mai].....any reason to be concerned?

yes i just noticed that too.. maybe that why i smell of smoke and dust ... beside this terrible fire.. all is ok here , im sure after this moment finish all will be great again....and is that true that Phu-Chai sai resort and spa got burn too? any info...

Fire on Phu ChaiSai resort. It should be on newspaper and TV. Because this resort belong to M.R. Bongsebrahma Chakrabandhu, a royal descendant and truly accomplished man and are well know for his architecture designs in the country.

Though I agree with you about Chiang Rai ,most of the time, It is not a very desirable place to be at the moment.

Look out your window .............only smog.

I have just heard that there was a large uncontrolable fire in The Puchifah area.........any confirmation ?

There's a similar thread on the Chiang Mai forum........[.haze spreading in Chiang mai].....any reason to be concerned?

You should count your blessings, :D I have just arrived back in the UK today after a vacation in Chiang Rai. I was greeted by heavy rain and strong winds, :D at best it was miserable. Chiang Rai even with it's current smog was infinitely better than this. :D Enjoy :D

Imagedude :D

Edited by ImageDude

Yesterday at the airstrip I couldn't recognize faces at 30 paces... sometimes I wonder if the burning isn't a way to block out the sun! beat the heat as it were. But it seems to have brought rain - unseasonable but wonderful, and now its a nice day. I don't think you can beat ChiangRai for quality of life - still, but unmanaged growth my affect things adversely

• 2 weeks later...
ohh yes where is the best place to find great meat steak in chiang rai? so hungry now... im glad to be here again.. :o

To answer your original quistion. Best place to get a good steak is Chiang Mai. I know limbo talks of a place to get a good steak, but I have never been able to find it.

Good luck.

PS: Even the steak at dusit resort I found disapointing.

ohh yes where is the best place to find great meat steak in chiang rai? so hungry now... im glad to be here again.. :o

To answer your original quistion. Best place to get a good steak is Chiang Mai. I know limbo talks of a place to get a good steak, but I have never been able to find it.

Good luck.

PS: Even the steak at dusit resort I found disapointing.

I've had an acceptable T-Bone at the small Steakhouse in the carpark at the rear of Big C :D

I haven't been there for two months, but until two months ago I would say that 'The Bakery' had the best steaks in town (oistrich, salmon, beef and pork) and the most pleasant ambiance to eat a steak. Very reasonable prices (from 180 for the pork to 240 for the oistrich).

The steaks are served on hot iron plates.

Where?

You start at King Mengrai Statue (Hiyek, Por Khun). From there you see a 'triumphal arch' with a portrait of His Majesty over the road leading to the sportfields, Ban Panjamorn and Wianchai.

This is the one you take.

You will find 'The Bakery' after three (?) kilometers at your left, about three hundred meters before the sportfields-road.

At least a big yellow sign telling you that it is about hundred meters down the soi. You can't see the place itself from the street.

Pleasant, quick and good service. The steakhouse belongs to a Thai gentleman who has been living in the States (the united ones).

May I put attention to the fact that I went there once with a Dutch friend who still had troubles with his new set of false teeth. So he hadn't put in the lower part. He took the oistrich steak :D .

What else can I say?

Limbo :o

i have just browes the general topic forum were they are having a poll asking about the best place to live in thailand.

i was very surprised to see chaingrai only had one vote and that was mine so if you dont get on and vote we could end up with bangkok or pattaya topping the poll (can you imagine that)

i have just browes the general topic forum were they are having a poll asking about the best place to live in thailand.

i was very surprised to see chaingrai only had one vote and that was mine so if you dont get on and vote we could end up with bangkok or pattaya topping the poll (can you imagine that)

Soap,

I voted=now has 2

MJ

I haven't been to Thailand for some time now but hope to be back soon this year. Married a girl from the North but after 25 years she decided she had had enough. She became the westerner and I became the oriental. I like Chiang Rai but my connections are slightly south in the Province of Phayao - not too far away. The north of Thailand is so different from the south, and even in the north there are many differences from changwat to changwat - the language in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai/Phayao are different. I feel it is my second home and can't wait to get back and spend some time in the village, also in the village wat, I hope to be ordained as a monk some time in the future. Look after Chiang Rai and the north until I get back home.

Hey Limbo - news from the Guide Book dude - it's "Family Bakery"!!! and the baby back ribs are great! Current fave in town is EckoCha on the NamLad to first intersection north of the river on Hwy 1, across from St Mary's Grade School (just east of Rimcock Resort). Then there's a new place, Teak House. All I know is it has good sugar-free apple pie.

Less smoke now - it's the big winds in the first hours of dark...

Whadya think - a rained out Songkran! :D delicious! :o:D

click at My control (near where u see if u have personal message or not) and then u will see where to click for personal profile on ur right. after that ur comment sense to continue... hehehehe :D

comment sense . . should read . . common sense . . . hehehehe :D:o

something I don't have a lot of :D:D:D:D

OK - lets see (and wow, well, this is about almost as exciting as reading bad english on t-shiorts or thaivisa) MAYBE i CAN BE PRETTY COOL NOW TOO

BY THE BY - AND WAY OFF TOPIC EXCEPT TO COMPLIMENT THAIVISA - great thread on the baht value increase, with a good link, check it out

Hey Limbo - news from the Guide Book dude - it's "Family Bakery"!!! and the baby back ribs are great! Current fave in town is EckoCha on the NamLad to first intersection north of the river on Hwy 1, across from St Mary's Grade School (just east of Rimcock Resort). Then there's a new place, Teak House. All I know is it has good sugar-free apple pie.

Less smoke now - it's the big winds in the first hours of dark...

Whadya think - a rained out Songkran! :D delicious! :o:D

Hi Joel: I'm thinking seriously of returning to Thailand for a couple of years. Im retired and spent several years in Bangkok in the 80's and 90's. I am not interested in living in Bangkok, too crowded, too hot, too many malang saab yai yai (big roaches) among others.

I think i may enjoy Chiang Rai. While there I spoke the language relatively fluently -- enough to be hired as a teacher to teach the American Embassy drivers english. I still find myself thinking in Thai a lot.

The "rained out" Sonkran is wonderful. Life shall be prosperous all year. Did you float your basket with flowers & insense? If i recall correctly they say loi loi kathong. The tradition as the servants designed the banana leave baskets to entertain the King on a long trip by water centuries ago. That was the beginning of the Sonkran holiday.

Any advice for me? Thanks, Nancy

"The "rained out" Sonkran is wonderful. Life shall be prosperous all year. Did you float your basket with flowers & insense? If i recall correctly they say loi loi kathong. The tradition as the servants designed the banana leave baskets to entertain the King on a long trip by water centuries ago. That was the beginning of the Sonkran holiday. "

Thai New Year day are called songkran holiday, where everyone pay respect to the lord Buddha in the morning, thereafter pay and visit senior personal for forgiveness on their past misdeed. Water lantern festivals (Loi kratong) in mid-November are different from Songkran day.

"The "rained out" Sonkran is wonderful. Life shall be prosperous all year. Did you float your basket with flowers & insense? If i recall correctly they say loi loi kathong. The tradition as the servants designed the banana leave baskets to entertain the King on a long trip by water centuries ago. That was the beginning of the Sonkran holiday. "

Thai New Year day are called songkran holiday, where everyone pay respect to the lord Buddha in the morning, thereafter pay and visit senior personal for forgiveness on their past misdeed. Water lantern festivals (Loi kratong) in mid-November are different from Songkran day.

Khun Thaising: oi' call tote! You are right. I have been gone so long i forgot. Is it true that you must get wet during Sonkran for a happy year? Thank you for fixing my mistake. Kha

yes soaking all day... got wet got drunk and got sick for the next day... hahahaha anyway i just came back from song kran in chiang mai...was so fun!

Hi Unknown: I am seriously considering moving to Chiang Rai. May i ask a few questions?

Do you have the big flying roaches like they do in Bangkok?

How many wild animals come down out of the hills and are they a danger?

Is the humidity extremely high all the time?

Believe it or not, these are the only things that bother me. Not that i would not make the move because of them, i am just curious.

Glad you enjoyed Sonkran -- it is really fun. I remember that! I vsisted Chiang Mai severl times and it is nice. I think Chiang Rai is more for me as i am looking for quiet, peaceful and not crowded.

Thanks so much. Nancy

Hi Nancy

That was fun - put a smile on my face. Speak some Thai, worked with US embassy, confuse Songkran and Loi Kratong and want to move to Chaingrai.

Up here it's Kam Muang, some Chinese and tribal languages and gibberish, mostly.

I was going to, but won't ask about your age. Anyway, we don't do anything here (apparently bowling balls are too heavy - I believe it w/o having checked, though I used to bowl occasionally in BKK)

I suppose you don't need to make money here, which is good because you can't. Only English teachers think they can, and they don't.

Do you have the big flying roaches like they do in Bangkok?

Nothing is like BKK here !!! Yay!!! Well, I sometimes compare the traffic, now, but that's "phuut yai" (exaggeration)

Yes we have a few flying roaches. they are small and not common or bothersome. we have lots of ants. sometimes one eats their eggs....

I have lots of bees - three kinds - but don't raise them or anything, they're just there, making honey. I'm sure the queens are as delicious and nutricious as ant queens, but I leave the hives alone. they're supposed to be good luck, but really don't know about that. life always has its ups and downs...

How many wild animals come down out of the hills and are they a danger?

that's great!!! 100 years ago, yes, there were even tigers in the streets here, at night! Now you can only find a big animal in DoiTung zoo or the breeding station.

Is the humidity extremely high all the time?

Nah - 'winter' is wonderful. Even now it's not so bad. As I say, nothing like BKK. Not even like ChiangMai. Kings of Lanna, when strong enough, came to live here, leaving CM to people who need to do business. Yuk.

Don't get me wrong - you can use Thai here (its legal!)... I do. It's about all I speak since I got sick of all the Farang. But I'm speaking it almost exclusively with other people for whom it is also a second language. They're not so snooty about perfect usage, which is great.

We have everything for reasonable people, and very little for others, as I hope they'll soon find out. It is not exciting here! It is boring!!! There's nothing to do!!! I'm scared to write guidebooks any more as I don't want what is inevitable - CR growth.

Edited by Joel Barlow

- you can use Thai here (its legal!)... I do. It's about all I speak since I got sick of all the Farang.

Hi Joel,

Now I understand why you chose your avatar: A dragon biting his own tail :D

Limbo :o

PS. I think I know what you mean. The farang 'community' became a village within the town of Chiang Rai. And this village has a lot of the characteristics which villages have in general.

You get clique-forming and social stratification. Some people start to see themselves as 'better than others' and they gather in groups and perform rituals to convince themselves that they are.

It is not the good old (and socially enriching) 'melting pot' anymore.

The cause will be the enormeous influx of farangs during the last years.

The good thing might be that people orient themselves more towards the local society, as you succesfully do. We live i Thailand, don't we?

Not to make heros of villans, but there is something I admire about the Triads and NY Mafia - they policed their own. I hardly admire law enforcement or vigalanties (sp?), but sometimes - over the last few years - I've really thought that kind of thing is becoming called for here. It's worse in Chiang Mai (but I surely doubt the Farang Tourist Police help at all). A lot of people just can't handle their alcohol! One "bar owner" (who recently sold his bar, I'm told), was seen by my wife hitting on one of his ladies for hire, out on Old Airport Road of an evening... What I'm pointing at is how a lot of Farang clearly think that here they're untouchable: the rules don't apply because they have money, embassies to bail them out, and arrogance like that of our lovely leaders.

It does become clear why Big C always has lots and lots of Farang one never sees in town. I'm sure there are many good people of European (or whatever) descent here - i've met some. But I know my local friends to look down on us, and why, and have long felt shamed through guilt by association. I'm no proponent of law and order, or Christian morality or anal retentive silliness, but when I see people pointedly displaying blatant disrespect for our host population (and once, one who still lives here was atop the car of another who still does, loudly and repeatedly yelling obscenities against the locals - nevermind that he'd gotten a girl preggers and now has a son who is one)... well, it's hardly amazing we have silly visa rigamorale to endure.

Hey guys - bad behavior is bad for all of us. All who know me know I'm not perfect, but at least I'm not staying in the house of a host I hate.

I just met a very rude taxi driver i ever met in chiang rai yesterday, before i went to Bo's Place lastnight. He tried to double price up for us me and my (almost )bf. i didnt pay him as he asked after that heyell on me and said super rude words to my friend than drove away. I really got pissed lastnight made my bowling time at night not that fun too...I hate when ppl try to take advantage from tourists or non local ppl. i know exactly how much it cost not i am kee niew!! im i wrong to call him" MORON?"