Thailand Withers As Myanmar Rises: Opinion

webfact

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myanmar has a lot of opportunities. India building the 4 land highway across it. Oil and gas possibilities off the coast. Pristine untouched coastline and islands. A largish population with a huge workforce (low skilled) at the ready. Politicians wanting foreign investment and willing to build necessary diplomatic ties.

In Japan Yingluck was pitching the Burmese deep water port facility so was that for the benefit of Thailand or family interests ?

• Like 2

This is what happens when you try to butter your bread on both sides.

I cannot but agree completely with this statement. It is the persistent tinkering by the Thai's in terms of their relationship with the US/Japan/Eu and then China that leaves all sides wondering how much of an ally Thailand really is. I don't know what kind of restrictions Burma is going to have on foreign ownership of businesses or property for example, but Thailand really needs to get its house in order about to which countries it really shows friendship towards.

• Like 2

Myanmar has a lot of opportunities. India building the 4 land highway across it. Oil and gas possibilities off the coast. Pristine untouched coastline and islands. A largish population with a huge workforce (low skilled) at the ready. Politicians wanting foreign investment and willing to build necessary diplomatic ties.

In Japan Yingluck was pitching the Burmese deep water port facility so was that for the benefit of Thailand or family interests ?

I think you know the answer to that. Shin clan ALWAYS comes first. It is quite probable that the Shin clan are heavily invested in the Dawei Deep Sea port.

I am pretty sure that the US is done with the dilettantism of the current Thai government.

• Like 2

One could say the writing is on the wall for Thailand , however having said that, Burma has a long way to go to provide proper infrastructure and this will take a decade, the US still has sanctions in place, as they are not happy with their (Burma's) handling of the ethnic unrest and Burma have just implemented a two child policy for all Muslims, I don't think Thailand need worry , some of B.O.T's deals, you would have to go along way to beat, I think maybe Military positioning would be the factor in Japan thinking, as it is a immature nation and naive, you possibly will find G men under every bush in Burma shortly.coffee1.gif

One could say the writing is on the wall for Thailand , however having said that, Burma has a long way to go to provide proper infrastructure and this will take a decade, the US still has sanctions in place, as they are not happy with their (Burma's) handling of the ethnic unrest and Burma have just implemented a two child policy for all Muslims, I don't think Thailand need worry , some of B.O.T's deals, you would have to go along way to beat, I think maybe Military positioning would be the factor in Japan thinking, as it is a immature nation and naive, you possibly will find G men under every bush in Burma shortly.coffee1.gif

A 2 child policy for one ethnic/religious group? That will have the liberals all over singing your praises.

Any idea what happens should the policy contravened? Forced abortion, infanticide - even a Sophie's Choice perhaps?

I feel that many overseas powers are getting in a lather over Myanmar more than a little prematurely, most having been carried away by the chance for a nice photo opportunity with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Myanmar's internal struggles are just starting up. The Rohingya problem is the mere tip of the iceberg. Things could get far worse as the country democratises and the well-armed minority militias all join in the struggle for a slice of the pie.

Additionally the infrastructure, especially in terms of transport and education, outside of the main population centres is abysmal although they are working on this like rabbits on this one.

I could go on and on listing potential negatives, but won't.

There is a genuine feeling of hope among the people one meets in Myanmar these days - hugely noticeable from just a few years ago - that things are changing for the better. Cautious optimism has replaced cynical resignation in many sectors; tourism and lower level business investment in particular.

The truth for the immediate future (the next 5-10 years) is that Myanmar will 'rise' insofar as they will allow China and Japan (possibly India too) first dibs at their considerable natural and human resources which may paint a picture of economic well being...but the real challenges which will face Myanmar don't lie in that direction.

While Myanmar is essentially a blank canvas with vast investor potential at some time in the future, there is still a long way to go. A very long way.

How did you come to this conclusion?

"The truth for the immediate future (the next 5-10 years) is that Myanmar will 'rise' insofar as they will allow China and Japan (possibly India too) first dibs at their considerable natural and human resources which may paint a picture of economic well being...but the real challenges which will face Myanmar don't lie in that direction."

I feel that many overseas powers are getting in a lather over Myanmar more than a little prematurely, most having been carried away by the chance for a nice photo opportunity with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Myanmar's internal struggles are just starting up. The Rohingya problem is the mere tip of the iceberg. Things could get far worse as the country democratises and the well-armed minority militias all join in the struggle for a slice of the pie.

Additionally the infrastructure, especially in terms of transport and education, outside of the main population centres is abysmal although they are working on this like rabbits on this one.

I could go on and on listing potential negatives, but won't.

There is a genuine feeling of hope among the people one meets in Myanmar these days - hugely noticeable from just a few years ago - that things are changing for the better. Cautious optimism has replaced cynical resignation in many sectors; tourism and lower level business investment in particular.

The truth for the immediate future (the next 5-10 years) is that Myanmar will 'rise' insofar as they will allow China and Japan (possibly India too) first dibs at their considerable natural and human resources which may paint a picture of economic well being...but the real challenges which will face Myanmar don't lie in that direction.

While Myanmar is essentially a blank canvas with vast investor potential at some time in the future, there is still a long way to go. A very long way.

How did you come to this conclusion?

"The truth for the immediate future (the next 5-10 years) is that Myanmar will 'rise' insofar as they will allow China and Japan (possibly India too) first dibs at their considerable natural and human resources which may paint a picture of economic well being...but the real challenges which will face Myanmar don't lie in that direction."

Which part of my conclusion?

The world moves on, while Thailand is held back by its own dictatorship ruling political mafia leaders...

The world doesn't need it except for jasmine rice, muay thai and nice poon tang, if we're to be honest about it.
  • Like 1

So Thailand can be the HUB of countries being ignored by the White House

I am sure there are reason why YS had not visited of has not been invited to the white

house,

It's not about her, it's about the old Thai boys club that always has a hand out for more money.

Corruption is in-bred in Thailand, even those with little power try to use it. It's a way of life and everybody knows

• Like 1