Roast Dinner

suegha

This is going to hurt you Brits but brace yourself for it: Few people outside GB like English food. :D

That won't hurt the Brits, I'm Irish and our Diet is very similar (except we eat 5 times the amounts of potato!) to the Brits. If someone doesn't like our roast beef - Tough! We love it... :o

I got married in Dublin and didn't see much rosbif...plenty of bacon and cabbage tho...in the days when the Clarence Hotel was not yet owned by Bono I got a 'mixed grill' from the restaurant on the ground floor...a full 4" pile of roasted and fried meats with loads of tatties and gravy...really sumpin' special...actually exceeded American portions served up in chop house places...

oh...(moan...) don't get me started on the Guiness...a more exquisite brew than what's served up in Dublin don't exist on the planet...I saw my cousin-in-law fire down 3 pints in 10 minutes...total maniac...as fast as the bar man could pull them(takes a few minutes as the pulling process is intricate)...

This is going to hurt you Brits but brace yourself for it: Few people outside GB like English food. :D

That won't hurt the Brits, I'm Irish and our Diet is very similar (except we eat 5 times the amounts of potato!) to the Brits. If someone doesn't like our roast beef - Tough! We love it... :o

I got married in Dublin and didn't see much rosbif...plenty of bacon and cabbage tho...in the days when the Clarence Hotel was not yet owned by Bono I got a 'mixed grill' from the restaurant on the ground floor...a full 4" pile of roasted and fried meats with loads of tatties and gravy...really sumpin' special...actually exceeded American portions served up in chop house places...

oh...(moan...) don't get me started on the Guiness...a more exquisite brew than what's served up in Dublin don't exist on the planet...I saw my cousin-in-law fire down 3 pints in 10 minutes...total maniac...as fast as the bar man could pull them(takes a few minutes as the pulling process is intricate)...

You bring back fond memories! 3 pints of guiness in 10 mins was a standing order! And pulling a pint is an art.

If it's a long time since you've been to Dublin, don't go back, you won't recognise it. However, pop out into the countryside and you back in the good ole Emerald Isle!

Thanks for the nostalgia... :D

You bring back fond memories! 3 pints of guiness in 10 mins was a standing order! And pulling a pint is an art.

If it's a long time since you've been to Dublin, don't go back, you won't recognise it. However, pop out into the countryside and you back in the good ole Emerald Isle!

it was 1988 when I was there...and yeah, I'm sure the place don't look the same. The ex-wife's folks are farmers from Co. Laoise and all the oldies that were my friends are dead now includin' ol' uncle Paddy... water diviner and ballroom dancer extraordinaire (could one find the same combination of talent elsewhere in the world?). I keep his one year death card in a special place in my home in Suphanburi...

All the best...

Guest endure

We're never hurt when people don't like us. We're used to it :D:D:o

Pork roast is my wife's favorite, along with carrots and spuds cooked and drowned in brown gravy.

penz...you gots to identify whats you mean by 'roast pork'. Do you mean a wrapped up loaf with string with fat for the cracklin on the top or just exposed pork shoulder? At Suphan tescos we gots pork loin...cylindrical strips suitable for one way ob cookin' but not the next.

Not far from our place in Suphan we gots a pork abbatoir wid lots of pigs squealing in terror at 0300 hrs when the knife goes in...you can hear them clearly. Then...you can see the carcasses being carried into the market an hour later. The pork roast that you and me know about is a flank cut, rolled up and tied but you don't get that except at fancy BKK markets. In the boonies you have a butcher covered with blood (usually the flies don't come out until 7-8 am) and an offering of large pieces of pork...all very tasty but not identifieable.

Most fresh pork is roastable and accompanied with a nice 'monster mash' (tots, parsnips and a swede with lots of marge and milk- freshly gound black pepper a must) would suit the palate of most skeptibile thais...put the nam pla and the chiles on the side. I also like brussels sprouts on the side when available. Thais don't like them much though...

tell us in detail about the pork that you roast

Edited by tutsiwarrior

it was 1988 when I was there...and yeah, I'm sure the place don't look the same. The ex-wife's folks are farmers from Co. Laoise and all the oldies that were my friends are dead now includin' ol' uncle Paddy... water diviner and ballroom dancer extraordinaire (could one find the same combination of talent elsewhere in the world?). I keep his one year death card in a special place in my home in Suphanburi...

All the best...

It was 1988 when I left Dublin to go to Liverpool. I don't get back to Ireland much, but you're right, it was always a great place to find the most extraordinary characters! Best thing about them was that they didn't think they were anything out of the ordinary, just normal people. Now that's real eccentricity!

All the best to you too.

A Roast Dinner meaning: Roast beef or Lamb (can also be pork) with roast and boiled potatoes, 2-3 different types of veg, Yorkshire pudding and lashings of gravy. (Perhaps stuffing also) This is a meal which holds a special place in most Brits/Irish peoples hearts, although perhaps not eaten that often!

My question is; why do Thais not like it? I have spoken with many Thais who have tried it and all, in my experience, can't see what the fuss is about.

Any thoughts?

What i find with most Thais is. If you suggest something different to eat. They will say."I don't like it"

My answer to them is. "have you tried it?" Which the usual response is."No!" So how do you know you dont like it? Seems many Thais are not quite as adventurous when it comes to food. My missus loves many western dishes. Loves her roast dinners. But not all the time. Just now and again. The Irish Exchange does a good lunch on a Sunday and also the Landmark. Nice!

• 2 weeks later...
You know if I don't have those red chillis in my Thai food I don't like either :o , but it took some time to adjust to it. They go in our mexican food. The funny thing i my wife can not eat hot sauce from America says it's to hot :D It really is what your used to or take the time to develop a taste for.
My best friend from Thailand whom I've worked with in America and shared many Thai home cooked meals together got me hooked on the chilie's in the food and mints,curries etc. even though I was used to eating Mexican foods cause I do live in Texas. I brought the Haberneros and Jalapenos

over here to grow as well as some of those Insainety Sauces from the cauldrons of Satan with the Siberian Gensing. Yes, yourn wife is right about hot and I proved it to my B-in Law also...that stuff will put a 250 lb. Marine on his knees in the hog nam HaHA! boy was that some chilie Whew!!!!. The chilies are good and we grow alot of them and don't nuke you as bad as others ya know they have flavor and not that afterburner effect. My wife just cooks some mixed meals cause she knows that I don't wan't rice at every sitting so I got some potatoes with some cabbage and onions and boiled spareribs and I can make some cornbread with that and bake a cherry cheese cake and my neighbors will share. Spice it up if you like!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe no one has mentioned the weather.

Think about it. Back home, when the weather turns colder, our minds automatically turn to comfort food. All the types of food, back in the olden times, would warm our bellies and help us get though the cold winter - or even just though the night. You wouldn't necessarily go a roast during the summer though unless you were an Australian or Kiwi, celebrating Christmas, in Australia. And even then, you wouldn't touch a roast again until late May (Late Autumn in OZ).

Now, having grown up on it, those foods become associated with 'comfort' in the eye of your average anglo. When you eat it, especially in Thailand which is a relatively foreign environmnet for most expats, you are eating a roast just as much for 1) the taste as 2) the sense of wellbeing and homeliness it gives you, even if it is stinking 35 degrees outside.

Now given that the average Thai is at home in thailand, then 2) doesn't apply. Given that the average Thai's tastebuds are about as inflexible as the average anglo's, then a roast all of a sudden isn't the nicest meal to be had....bring on the Som Tum!

A little help for the yank here what is marmite ?

A paste made from yeast excrement that Brits like to spread on toast.

Smells like dog doo. Probably tastes like dog doo too. :D

:D

Aussies/Kiwis love it too, least you forget. :o

That figures :D

No, they like Vegemite. But only a small quantity of people enjoy Bovril. My partner quite enjoys shepherd's pie, as well as steak and kidney pie.

I'm with Samran on this one. In a climate where a heat source is essential to keep from getting frostbite on delicate pieces of anatomy it is easy and most efficient to use that same heat source for cooking. Long, slow cooking methods followed naturally. In a tropical climate the issue is cooking food without generating excessive heat. Thai cooking methods do this very well.

With the advent of slow cookers you can now do a slow-cooked meal without raising the inside temp to intolerable levels. But it's still a "heavy" meal, high in the fat and protein that take longest to digest. It's more suited to a chillier climate, where you need more sustained energy to maintain body temperature. If you aren't used to eating the high fat and protein content, it can leave you feeling faintly ill afterward.

Yeah comming home from work tired after a huge cold wet day, with a perfectly cooked roast dinner is almost as good as sex. :o

donz...a roast dinner is a weekly celebration usually on a Sunday at about 1 pm after a few drinks down the pub ('scuse me while I nip back to prod the joint...')

combining Sunday lunch with work obligations is an abomination before God...

Yeah comming home from work tired after a huge cold wet day, with a perfectly cooked roast dinner is almost as good as sex. :o

donz...a roast dinner is a weekly celebration usually on a Sunday at about 1 pm after a few drinks down the pub ('scuse me while I nip back to prod the joint...')

combining Sunday lunch with work obligations is an abomination before God...

I must qualify the above...when commissioning a power station in the fenlands of Lincolnshire when the activities are 24/7 on a Sunday the site canteen offered a choice of 3 meat with the usual 3 veg and york pudding...

as I sat with my fellow engineers soberly (no alcohol permitted at site) tucking into this humble but most sacred offering I thought 'only in England'...

I used to eat a roast dinner 3-5 times aweek

must not have been in England...energy is too expensive and people are too stingy to run their oven more than once per week...

This is not quite true!

however, for most people in UK/Ireland a roast dinner is a Sunday treat. It takes too much preparation to be an everyday meal.

• 3 weeks later...

At least three of four hours. Maybe it's 'baked dinner'? As much as I hate that expression, Aussies like baked dinners more than once a week. I don't; I mainly eat pasta because that's what my mother made me when I was a young English nipper. Roasts were for Sundays only and yes, even then every Sunday we had together for the 5 years we spent in Thailand. You can't have a roast by yourself.

A Roast Dinner meaning: Roast beef or Lamb (can also be pork) with roast and boiled potatoes, 2-3 different types of veg, Yorkshire pudding and lashings of gravy. (Perhaps stuffing also) This is a meal which holds a special place in most Brits/Irish peoples hearts, although perhaps not eaten that often!

My question is; why do Thais not like it? I have spoken with many Thais who have tried it and all, in my experience, can't see what the fuss is about.

Any thoughts?

Might be too late to answer, I just came to this topic today.

Why thais dont like it ? ( I do like it but only for once in a while and for special occation ).

The climate might be the cause why thais dont like roasted thing, and the taste of lamb, ( strong smell of wild ), and it is a heavy food and taste naturally. Thais love food with many herbs and spicy and light.

It's our Eating culture too. If Thailand have had snow and very cold, I am sure we all would have like to eat roast beef or raost potatoes. We do make grill sweet potatoes or Taro too in winter in northeastern part of thailand. :D

And Thais who never been out of the country and seldom taste Western Food, shall only get used to the taste of thai (spicy) food. Roast Beef with potato and carot and brown gravy are so mild for our tongue, we would love pepper steak more :D

I like roast beef but only for special occation, and would not like to have often. I shall be fulled after the big meal and have to eat the whole week only veggi salad or Somtham carot :o

I try not to eat more Beef and hopefully no more meat.

Just cooked roasted pork and Tbones and many potatoes with cheese and Sellary soup last sunday, still fulled till now.

Once I was invited for Irish Dinner under the Bangkok heat :D and you saw the big meat and the lamb , and the sauce and big veggi... :D how can one eat all that ? I enjoy the light one in the heat of Thailand.

Any thoughts?

Might be too late to answer, I just came to this topic today.

Why thais dont like it ? ( I do like it but only for once in a while and for special occation ).

The climate might be the cause why thais dont like roasted thing, and the taste of lamb, ( strong smell of wild ), and it is a heavy food and taste naturally. Thais love food with many herbs and spicy and light.

It's our Eating culture too. If Thailand have had snow and very cold, I am sure we all would have like to eat roast beef or raost potatoes. We do make grill sweet potatoes or Taro too in winter in northeastern part of thailand. :D

And Thais who never been out of the country and seldom taste Western Food, shall only get used to the taste of thai (spicy) food. Roast Beef with potato and carot and brown gravy are so mild for our tongue, we would love pepper steak more :D

I like roast beef but only for special occation, and would not like to have often. I shall be fulled after the big meal and have to eat the whole week only veggi salad or Somtham carot :o

I try not to eat more Beef and hopefully no more meat.

Just cooked roasted pork and Tbones and many potatoes with cheese and Sellary soup last sunday, still fulled till now.

Once I was invited for Irish Dinner under the Bangkok heat :D and you saw the big meat and the lamb , and the sauce and big veggi... :D how can one eat all that ? I enjoy the light one in the heat of Thailand.

I believe that the dearth of roast dinners in thailand has to do with technical reasons...few people in thailand have ovens to roast the meat and that a nice piece of beef or a joint of lamb are hard to procure...

now...if you look carefully you can find a nice pork roast down your local market if you have an oven available. However, mash ingredients and nice three veg may be hard to find. I do a roast pork arrangement with whatever I can find for mash and veg when in Suphanburi and the family likes to eat it, all kids like mash...

roast dinners are a challenge in rural thailand unless you got a line on the ingredients...

Any thoughts?

:D

A lot of it comes from cultural preconceptions and predjudices. My Thai GF simply won't even try Indian food (Indians to her mind are all dirty), can't imagine why I like Korean food (Don't they all eat DOGS). European food will make you fat (she thinks), and she doesn't really understand why you would want gravy put on your food anyhow.

Had a breakthrough last year though. Her son's girlfriend (Thai) got her to a Japanese resturant. Turned out she really liked the sushi and raw fish. Amazed the h--l out of me. Now she wants to go back to that restaurant when I'm in BKK so she can "introduce' me to sushi. I don't have the heart to let her know I've been eating sushi for years. Ever had raw Mahi-Mahi?

So perhaps there is a chance for Korean food after all in the future. (Love the grilled Ox hearts).

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 3 months later...

Interesting I have now been asked to teach at least six diferent Thai ladies how to make a pot roast, I guess they are just doing it for thier husbands even if they did keep going back for seconds. :o Lets face it guys some people are just adventerous in trying new foods then others. I can't imagine not eating Thai food here, but I know farrangs that absolutely refuse to. So it's not just a Thai thing. :D