Bangkok Shooting Range.. Is It A Rip-Off?

ricku

A guy wants to start shooting for fun. That guy is me!

I have been looking for a good shooting range here in Bangkok, that won't charge ridiculous prices for gun rental and ammunition.

A few years ago I visited a place simply called "Bangkok Shooting Range". I thought the place was very expensive, and it just felt like a big fat rip-off, aimed at bored tourists.

Are there any better alternatives in town? smile.png

Edited by ricku

There is a military-looking shooting range as you walk from Old Siam Plaza (Chinatown) to Wat Po along Thanon Pha Phiihpit. (on the right-handside). I am not sure if it is open to the public, but most times I have walked by or stopped to have a look, the '?soldiers?' inside seem to be friendly and keen for me to come inside and play with them. Never have mind you!

I saw there was a an indoor range more or less connected to the golf club in the Bang Na area. I was going to pop in last time I was in Bangkok but always seemed to get way laid so never did. I would be interested to know a bit more about it for my return trip.

There is a military-looking shooting range as you walk from Old Siam Plaza (Chinatown) to Wat Po along Thanon Pha Phiihpit. (on the right-handside). I am not sure if it is open to the public, but most times I have walked by or stopped to have a look, the '?soldiers?' inside seem to be friendly and keen for me to come inside and play with them. Never have mind you!

The one near Old Siam Plaza is the equivalent of the Territorial Army shooting range. I used to go regularly but haven't been for a while. They used to have a shitty range round the side for foreigners that (illegally) accepted coach parties. I once saw a middled aged Japanese women having a photograph taken of her pointing a .38 revolver at her friend who had her hands up. The foreigners range was completely open with no bench to shoot behind. The main range is also fairly dangerous as there are only flimsy dividers between shooting stations. A guy was shot in the head there once by a woman using one of the range's .22 rifles. She fled the scene and was never found. They hadn't taken any ID from her before renting out the gun and no one could say if she knew the victim or not but it seemed like they had arrived at the same time. Most shooters bring their own pieces but they were eager to rent out their own pistols and .22 rifles. The rub was that foreigners are not legally allowed to be there at all and can't buy ammo directly. So the instructors would buy the ammo and sell it for about 100% mark up. Annoying but it's still cheaper than most ranges. They said they would only let foreigners on the main range, if they were fluent in Thai, so they could understand the instructions. I suppose it was OK for them to kill each and at the foreigners' ranage but it seems that the Thais killed each other at the main range too. At week ends it was quite busy and there were usually officers in uniform there who liked to make a fuss about what are farangs doing here to the instructors and trying to tell them to send me to the coach party killing field round the side. They were usually happy at a price to send some one off to a nearby gunshop to buy any ammo they didn't have in stock, e.g. 9mm short (.38) or .40 or something, if you brought along a piece of that calibre. On the other hand they didn't object if you brought along a couple of boxes yourself. in those days the shops didn't ask for a permit to buy ammo but I think they have to be stricter now.

If you are interested and speak Thai, go inside and ask them if you can shoot. Just tell the guards outside you have permission to shoot there. Better if you can go with a Thai friend who can join the club and buy the ammo direct.

Edited by Arkady

I was looking at the Bangkok shooting range website and I though 5k for a benelli shotgun and some handguns is a good deal. Although its not on their site I've seen on YouTube that they also offer m16. Will check it out for sure when I come.

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for the most relaxed range in BKK if there is such a thing here. I've been shooting all my life, but my wife hasn't and I'd like her to enjoy her 1st time, as she said she wants to give it a go... Any decently professional outfits out there, without some doofus (or doofi) there spouting off?

Edited by 715

went to the thai army base just over the road from wat pho - might be the same place the others are talking about as its kind of near china town - with my gf. gun rental and 50 rounds was just over 1000 baht for her but over 3000 for me (including instructor) - too much - i'd have done it for 1000 baht. the range looked pretty organised (for thailand)

Did they offer you a T-Shirt with a bullseye on it?

• Like 1

um th3ere was problems with people who trained guns in thailand then went and got creative wiv the gun knowledge. apparently it upset people and face was lost. so new regs were brought in. Now a commercial range can still take tourists or all comers in. but you are paying for face loss insurance etc. also ammo is not cheap especially during times of demos. during the red shirt demos when things was burnt and all that 9 mm was v hard to come by in Thailand , the price remains high due to high demand - stockpiling.

so when you go to a range you are paying for insurance, rent of gun, and v. expensive ammo.

I saw there was a an indoor range more or less connected to the golf club in the Bang Na area. I was going to pop in last time I was in Bangkok but always seemed to get way laid so never did. I would be interested to know a bit more about it for my return trip.

It's easy to get "way laid" in Thailand.

• Like 1

Did they offer you a T-Shirt with a bullseye on it?

T-shirt with a Suthep silhouette on it. biggrin.png