U S Navy Sailors Caught In Phuket Taxi Blockade

webfact

another big hit for TAT in the face, but money rulez, so let the maffia fight this one out?

what about using the FREE busses, they are rusting away

police, ah yeah, part of the maffia and the problem

what about enforcing the law?

farmers and maffia in police uniform

Ah yeah dude. Read the second article. The free busses were on strike so the taxis came to the rescue
Yes..""came to the rescue ""Posted Image ..such selfless behaviour by these highly esteemed professionals...Posted Image

Came to the rescue?? How about "making the most of a dire situation to their own advantage"...sounds more factual huh?

At prices way far and beyond their normal rip-off fares only confirms this...Posted Image

Like people wouldn't dream of charging a US sailor more in any other country. Only happens in Thailand right?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phuket Gazette understands that Phuket Marine Office chief Phuriphat

Teerakulpisut and a delegation from the Phuket Governor’s Office is en

route to the Deep Sea Port to resolve the situation.

Shouldn't that read--

en route to the Deep Sea Port to see if there is anything to be made from this situation.

what idiots! did they not know that the navy was coming? as long as the taxi gansters rule, the U.S. navy should not visit. the P.I. would be much more fun!

If I am reading the article correctly, Officers can enjoy free rides while the lower ranks of younger age and wisdom are left to bite the bullet and are to haggle with the greedy taxi drivers. Yes a S.N.A.F.U. decision just as I remembered. This will surely lead to an incident of anger when the younger lads run out of money and get shook down for loose change when trying to make curfew. Throw them to the dogs.... An alternate idea would be just to hand out vouchers for payment at an agreed sum and warn against tipping/overcharging. Something tells me the drivers are more interested in 8-10 passengers per lift. Individuals (Officer or enlisted) who insist on going it alone should be left to haggle. Vans for "Morale, Welfare and Recreation" should always be available for are young servicemen...as this is all part of the program.

Sounds like you did not read anything at all in this thread.

another big hit for TAT in the face, but money rulez, so let the maffia fight this one out?

Ah yeah dude. Read the second article. The free busses were on strike so the taxis came to the rescue
Yes..""came to the rescue ""cheesy.gif ..such selfless behaviour by these highly esteemed professionals...thumbsup.gif

Came to the rescue?? How about "making the most of a dire situation to their own advantage"...sounds more factual huh?

At prices way far and beyond their normal rip-off fares only confirms this...bah.gif

Like people wouldn't dream of charging a US sailor more in any other country. Only happens in Thailand right?

Mate..you said ''came to the rescue"

My response to you, was to point out that that was indeed not their motive.

They were there to take advantage...pure and simple sad.png Their collective greed knows no boundaries.....

After 98 replies the headline still is about Taxis. Didnt we establish that it was a minivan strike. Jees we would hate the truth to getting the way of a good story now wouldn't we

what do you expect, when a story is posted here (without verification?) and than the story keeps changing, a new story or article is posted and old replies are kept

Just read the posts and you should know better.

Yes..""came to the rescue ""cheesy.gif ..such selfless behaviour by these highly esteemed professionals...thumbsup.gif

At prices way far and beyond their normal rip-off fares only confirms this...bah.gif

Other countries, well, also Thailand - in Bangkok, have metered taxis. You pay per kilometre. Not a hard concept, even for Thailand, but too difficult for Planet Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yes..""came to the rescue ""Posted Image ..such selfless behaviour by these highly esteemed professionals...Posted Image

At prices way far and beyond their normal rip-off fares only confirms this...Posted Image

Mate..you said ''came to the rescue"

My response to you, was to point out that that was indeed not their motive.

They were there to take advantage...pure and simple Posted Image Their collective greed knows no boundaries.....

And if they didnt drive all the way from Patong to pick up the stranded US sailors, they would be villains. Dammed if they do and dammed if they dont

Other countries, well, also Thailand - in Bangkok, have metered taxis. You pay per kilometre. Not a hard concept, even for Thailand, but too difficult for Planet Phuket.

If you love metered taxis then perhaps you should move there. Its great you can spend up to 6 hours per day in a taxi trying to get through traffic jams.

Edited by IrishIvan

It is very simple: either the Blue Star guy is lying he did not get paid or the Glenn Marine guy is lying he did pay.

Since it is very easy to prove payment, which has not been done so far, I think the Glenn Marine guy is lying and he did not pay for transport for the visit last time and this time.

At the moment that also seems to be the navy's thinking, according to people in contact with the Navy.

If I am reading the article correctly, Officers can enjoy free rides while the lower ranks of younger age and wisdom are left to bite the bullet and are to haggle with the greedy taxi drivers. Yes a S.N.A.F.U. decision just as I remembered. This will surely lead to an incident of anger when the younger lads run out of money and get shook down for loose change when trying to make curfew. Throw them to the dogs.... An alternate idea would be just to hand out vouchers for payment at an agreed sum and warn against tipping/overcharging. Something tells me the drivers are more interested in 8-10 passengers per lift. Individuals (Officer or enlisted) who insist on going it alone should be left to haggle. Vans for "Morale, Welfare and Recreation" should always be available for are young servicemen...as this is all part of the reprogram.

Sounds like you did not read anything at all in this thread

Well....here it is for you in plain english ....and I am referring to the article first posted...

That dispute ended when the drivers agreed with military, police and

Wichit Municipality negotiators to return to an old agreement allowing

the local taxis access to low-ranking US military personnel while only

officers could take advantage of the free van service provided by an

outside contractor.

Now then.....if you would read my comment, this is exactly what is I referring to, regardless of any other comments. And I stand firmly on my idea that low ranking servicemen deserve support from funding provided by Morale, Welfare and Recreational sources (in the budget already) to enjoy their liberty. They should not have to haggle with taxi drivers....that is not a good thing!

enjoy the forum, but YOU need to be more in touch

• Like 2

If I am reading the article correctly, Officers can enjoy free rides while the lower ranks of younger age and wisdom are left to bite the bullet and are to haggle with the greedy taxi drivers. Yes a S.N.A.F.U. decision just as I remembered. This will surely lead to an incident of anger when the younger lads run out of money and get shook down for loose change when trying to make curfew. Throw them to the dogs.... An alternate idea would be just to hand out vouchers for payment at an agreed sum and warn against tipping/overcharging. Something tells me the drivers are more interested in 8-10 passengers per lift. Individuals (Officer or enlisted) who insist on going it alone should be left to haggle. Vans for "Morale, Welfare and Recreation" should always be available for are young servicemen...as this is all part of the reprogram.

Well....here it is for you in plain english ....and I am referring to the article first posted...

outside contractor.

Now then.....if you would read my comment, this is exactly what is I referring to, regardless of any other comments. And I stand firmly on my idea that low ranking servicemen deserve support from funding provided by Morale, Welfare and Recreational sources (in the budget already) to enjoy their liberty. They should not have to haggle with taxi drivers....that is not a good thing!

That article first posted has proved to be inaccurate. See the other article from the OP further on in the thread.

So you are correct, the Navy decided that all personnel is entitled to free transport to Patong, hence the shuttle buses. Unfortunately it looks like the supplier of these service for the whole of Asia, not SEA as indicated earlier, did not meet his obligations.

I understand that commissioned officers have to travel separately in higher standared of transportation, but I cant understand why non commissioned millinery personnel have to pay while commissioned officers, on three times the salery may I add' get a free ride. That coming fron a ex millinery officer.

I understand that commissioned officers have to travel separately in higher standared of transportation, but I cant understand why non commissioned millinery personnel have to pay while commissioned officers, on three times the salery may I add' get a free ride. That coming fron a ex millinery officer.

Not correct, they all get free transport, paid for by the navy. Well, not for about 24 hours, but as far as I know at the moment free buses are running again.

Not correct, they all get free transport, paid for by the navy. Well, not for about 24 hours, but as far as I know at the moment free buses are running again.

Well, if the free buses are now running, I'll go and put on my best American accent and hop onboard. :) :)

If I am reading the article correctly, Officers can enjoy free rides while the lower ranks of younger age and wisdom are left to bite the bullet and are to haggle with the greedy taxi drivers. Yes a S.N.A.F.U. decision just as I remembered. This will surely lead to an incident of anger when the younger lads run out of money and get shook down for loose change when trying to make curfew.  Throw them to the dogs....  An alternate idea would be just to hand out vouchers for payment at an agreed sum and warn against tipping/overcharging. Something tells me the drivers are more interested in 8-10 passengers per lift. Individuals (Officer or enlisted) who insist on going it alone should be left to haggle. Vans for "Morale, Welfare and Recreation" should always be available for are young servicemen...as this is all part of the reprogram.

outside contractor.

That article first posted has proved to be inaccurate. See the other article from the OP further on in the thread.

So you are correct, the Navy decided that all personnel is entitled to free transport to Patong, hence the shuttle buses. Unfortunately it looks like the supplier of these service for the whole of Asia, not SEA as indicated earlier, did not meet his obligations.

You have never heard of dual pricing TIT

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised that this has happened yet again and only 2 months since the meeting down there with the British and German consulate representatives having their photo's taken with Phuket authorities promising to clean up these unscrupulous blatant thai mafia scammers masquerading as taxi drivers..rotten to the very core!!

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised that this has happened yet again and only  2 months since the meeting down there with the British and German consulate representatives having their photo's taken with Phuket authorities promising to clean up these unscrupulous blatant thai mafia scammers masquerading as taxi drivers..rotten to the very core!!

Why am I not surprised another thaivisa member who cant read? The problems stemmed from minivans and not taxis

Why am I not surprised that this has happened yet again and only 2 months since the meeting down there with the British and German consulate representatives having their photo's taken with Phuket authorities promising to clean up these unscrupulous blatant thai mafia scammers masquerading as taxi drivers..rotten to the very core!!

Why am I not surprised another thaivisa member who cant read? The problems stemmed from minivans and not taxis

It's not hard to understand.

Basically, the WHOLE transport industry on Planet Phuket needs a broom put through it and then to be bought online with the rest of Thailand.

It really doesn't matter if it's minivans, tuk-tuks, black taxis, metered taxis (that refuse to use the meter) motobike taxis, coach buses etc etc.

Transport on Planet Phuket simply isn't working.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter where it stemmed from, the taxis have without any doubt at all taken advantage of the situation and as you quaintly said "come to the rescue''[cheesy.gif ]

Lovely gesture if they hadn't taken advantage of the innocent victims, by blatantly ripping them off.bah.gif

Why am I not surprised that this has happened yet again and only  2 months since the meeting down there with the British and German consulate representatives having their photo's taken with Phuket authorities promising to clean up these unscrupulous blatant thai mafia scammers masquerading as taxi drivers..rotten to the very core!!

Doesn't matter where it stemmed from,  the taxis have without any doubt at all taken advantage of the situation and as you quaintly said "come to the rescue''[Posted Image ]

Lovely gesture if they hadn't taken advantage of the innocent victims, by blatantly ripping them off.Posted Image

Depends on your idea of victim. Lets not forget where these victims have been and what they have been up to. Stew on that for a while. They havent been charging people 6 bucks more on a cab fare have they?

It's not hard to understand.

Basically, the WHOLE transport industry on Planet Phuket needs a broom put through it and then to be bought online with the rest of Thailand.

It really doesn't matter if it's minivans, tuk-tuks, black taxis, metered taxis (that refuse to use the meter) motobike taxis, coach buses etc etc.

Transport on Planet Phuket simply isn't working.

It's putting serious dosh into the hands of the powerful though. ;)

Seriously interfere and I'm sure the response will come with smiles and a bullet.

Thainess. sick.gif

Doesn't matter where it stemmed from, the taxis have without any doubt at all taken advantage of the situation and as you quaintly said "come to the rescue''[cheesy.gif ]

Lovely gesture if they hadn't taken advantage of the innocent victims, by blatantly ripping them off.bah.gif

Depends on your idea of victim. Lets not forget where these victims have been and what they have been up to. Stew on that for a while. They havent been charging people 6 bucks more on a cab fare have they?

What on earth are you on about?.."Lets not forget where these victims have been and what they have been up to''.....

Meaning what exactly?..man you've got me on this one...blink.png

The navy personel are innocent victims 100%,here... no ifs or buts....

They are here on leave, to spend a heap of $'s in the local economy, there's plenty for everybody to benefit , without the need to cheat them to excess......the fact that whoever is to blame, whether its the Glenn outfit for not paying, or the contractors not paying the drivers or whatever , and then the vulture taxi/tuk-tuk mafias taking advantage of the situation,whatever ,whatever ad nauseum it is not the fault of the navy personel..consequently, that makes them victims...yes?

Edited by andreandre

And the bus company and taxi/tuktuk company just happen to owned by the same family................................................WOW!

The "victims". American naval personnel have been to Korea where they have been "showing the flag" in i presume a warning to North Korea. I imagine while there they may well have tried to stock up on lowcost LG or Samsung phones.. if that's what you mean by " up to" biggrin.png

And the bus company and taxi/tuktuk company just happen to owned by the same family................................................WOW!

Precisely...and don't we all know it!..Not sure wether TV moderaters would allow me to post the Phuket Wan news link but it's all over there none the less if you bother to look up the article from this week.."corruption..corruption...when will residents see action"?..

ref:("why am I not surprised"..just who the f..k are you t.sser!)

I'm surprised any of you are surprised.
What did you expect?

Not to change the subject but has anyone been over there?
Can you see the carrier from the port?
I'd like to take my kid over to see it.

I know we'll have to walk in.
The road is blockaded.
Business as usual in the LOS.

I planed to go to Ao Makhan today, but got other plans. These are pictures from Saphan Hin.

Iron village for 5000 people, two nuclear reactors, not to mention the firepower she has - great piece of science an engineering.

2013-05-31_18-10-09.jpg

2013-05-31_18-30-16.jpg

I planed to go to Ao Makhan today, but got other plans. These are pictures from Saphan Hin.

Iron village for 5000 people, two nuclear reactors, not to mention the firepower she has - great piece of science an engineering.

2013-05-31_18-10-09.jpg

2013-05-31_18-30-16.jpg

Pretty impressive apart from looking like it needs a coat of paint.

• Like 1