English Vehicles

I think you should have posted these 'jokes; 40 years ago still they are interesting relics.

40 years ago it would have been quicker to just telephone the other 17 people actually connected to the internet (or ARPANET as it was known then)

I did 250,000 miles in a UK 1972 3.0 ltr Ford Granada. 1964 MGB Roadster, many Mini's etc. Can't say I ever had a big electrical problem other than a regulator change. Not sure what your topic is about. coffee1.gif

I did 250,000 miles in a UK 1972 3.0 ltr Ford Granada. 1964 MGB Roadster, many Mini's etc. Can't say I ever had a big electrical problem other than a regulator change. Not sure what your topic is about. coffee1.gif

Jeez, a joke that's turned into a topic. That's why I love TV.

I think the whole electric joke thing stems from the fact that for most of their lives UK vehicles spent their lives living in a 70 mph hurricane. you know 70+ on the motorway in the rain and at the time electric systems especially on second or third hand cars almost without exception had various electric add-ons done by 'Joe' around the corner so the vast majority of breakdowns were caused by water ingress into various electric components.

The blame was then transferred to 'The lousy electric system' produced by Lucas.

At least in those days you could do a 'temp' repair' eg ciggy packet silver paper around the fuse and get another 20 miles.biggrin.png

Edited by overherebc

I think the whole electric joke thing stems from the fact that for most of their lives UK vehicles spent their lives living in a 70 mph hurricane. you know 70+ on the motorway in the rain and at the time electric systems especially on second or third hand cars almost without exception had various electric add-ons done by 'Joe' around the corner so the vast majority of breakdowns were caused by water ingress into various electric components.

The blame was then transferred to 'The lousy electric system' produced by Lucas.

At least in those days you could do a 'temp' repair' eg ciggy packet silver paper around the fuse and get another 20 miles.biggrin.png

Yeh, I did that. laugh.png

Yeh, I did that. laugh.png

I do feel a bit guilty sometimes when I think of the time I spent agessorry.gif stuffing many pairs of my ex's tights into the rear diff' of a Hillman Avenger to cut the whine down before the buyer came for a test drive.

I do feel a bit guilty sometimes when I think of the time I spent ages:sorry: stuffing many pairs of my ex's tights into the rear diff' of a Hillman Avenger to cut the whine down before the buyer came for a test drive.

A whole banana works well on a noisy gearbox too.

I do feel a bit guilty sometimes when I think of the time I spent ages:sorry: stuffing many pairs of my ex's tights into the rear diff' of a Hillman Avenger to cut the whine down before the buyer came for a test drive.

Always found sawdust effective too.

Just for interest, photo of the 'hot' GTE

post-98036-0-87093500-1370500919_thumb.j

Always found sawdust effective too.

Just for interest, photo of the 'hot' GTE

3ltr Ford V6 Essex engine, if l remember correctly. smile.png .

It might surprise folk that Lucas supply electrical stuff NOW to Airbus. smile.png

Didn't they have a small battery problem w00t.gif

Correct about the GTE engine, 2994cc but later models went down to 278? something I think but had a few extra horsepower.

It might surprise folk that Lucas supply electrical stuff NOW to Airbus. smile.png

Correct about the GTE engine, 2994cc but later models went down to 278? something I think but had a few extra horsepower.

The 2994 was the 3.0 90% Ford Essex V6 which was replaced by the 2.8 Ford Cologne 60% V6. thumbsup.gif

Edited by transam

No, that was the other lot from across The Pond.

Magneti Marelli electrics used by Alpha Romeo were 1,000,000 times worse than Lucas.

I used to work in a dealers where the mechanics in the second-hand tarting up department used to save their crisp packets in a big box. Whenever a Mini came in the bodyshop boys used to use them to stuff the rotten bodywork at the bottom of the windscreen before banging some filler on and spraying it over.

No, that was the other lot from across The Pond.

Magneti Marelli electrics used by Alpha Romeo were 1,000,000 times worse than Lucas.

Mate bought a Moto Guzzi 1000s and had to have it completely re-wired in UK. General phrase used at the time was 'Paper mache wiring'.

Years ago we were all riding our Brit bikes (Triumph TR6, BSA Rocket, Norton Commando and an Arial 2-stroke washing machine) along a nice winding country road at night when we realized we'd lost one of the riders. We rode back and found him in a ditch.

His headlight was getting progressively dimmer - so he stood on the footpegs and peered into his lamp to see if it had gone out totally - and went off the road.

• Like 1

Years ago we were all riding our Brit bikes (Triumph TR6, BSA Rocket, Norton Commando and an Arial 2-stroke washing machine) along a nice winding country road at night when we realized we'd lost one of the riders. We rode back and found him in a ditch.

His headlight was getting progressively dimmer - so he stood on the footpegs and peered into his lamp to see if it had gone out totally - and went off the road.

Yeh, rockers did that, us Mods had more sense. laugh.png

• Like 1

That promted such a mental picture that my wife came out of the bedroom to find out what I was laughing about all on my own.

Cheers

• Like 2

That promted such a mental picture that my wife came out of the bedroom to find out what I was laughing about all on my own.

Cheers

What Mods post-41816-0-23446400-1370530718_thumb.j.Me................laugh.png

Were you a Mod? w00t.gif

Were you a Mod? w00t.gif

Yes. BUT, not here. whistling.gif ..............laugh.png ....Back in early 1960's. thumbsup.gif