Fishing Koh Samet

stailmanki

Thanks Rsokolowsk - Maybe I 'll just take the fishing gear and chance it ?

I'm going to be staying at Ao Pai and there looks like some rocky headlands there & elswhere on the island.

Searched everywhere I can think of on the web and found offshore fishing charters & squid fishing but no reference to onshore opportunities.

I stayed on a beach called Ao Thian or Ao Tian around Christmas time, the beach was pretty unremarkable, the whole island horribly overdeveloped, but i stayed in a bungalow that you could fish directly outside of, I mean you could practically cast whilst sitting on the end of your bed!! It was nice to chill in the evening with a few beers whilst playing some music. The bungalows were at the furthest end of the beach from the point you walk down from getting out of the taxi and were around 1000 baht a night as I remember.

I stayed on a beach called Ao Thian or Ao Tian around Christmas time, the beach was pretty unremarkable, the whole island horribly overdeveloped, but i stayed in a bungalow that you could fish directly outside of, I mean you could practically cast whilst sitting on the end of your bed!! It was nice to chill in the evening with a few beers whilst playing some music. The bungalows were at the furthest end of the beach from the point you walk down from getting out of the taxi and were around 1000 baht a night as I remember.

Thanks Long tang.

I found a nice place via tripadvisor website on Ao Pai - Samed Villa Resort that I would like to try but we will probably hire a bike to get around & check for fishy looking places. I want a break from Pattaya - live in Jomtien so I know a bit about overdevelopment - hopefully low season and week days it wont be too bad - Koh Samet seems to be overpriced.

So did you chuck a line at Ao Thian or see others fishing there ?

Fishing on Koh Samed is a popular pastime, you often see the local residents sitting on the rocky prominences patiently waiting for a bite
no licence or permission is needed, enjoy your catch & have a local beach restaurant cook it for you
bring your own fishing rod with you, as you cannot rent or buy them on koh samed

Thanks Long tang.

I found a nice place via tripadvisor website on Ao Pai - Samed Villa Resort that I would like to try but we will probably hire a bike to get around & check for fishy looking places. I want a break from Pattaya - live in Jomtien so I know a bit about overdevelopment - hopefully low season and week days it wont be too bad - Koh Samet seems to be overpriced.

So did you chuck a line at Ao Thian or see others fishing there ?

Don't recall anyone fishing from the rocks or beaches but there were plenty of fishing boats just offshore. I'm sure you'll find the usual groupers and snappers around rocky areas and reefs how big they are is another matter though, be prepared to lose a bit of tackle along the way. Squid is usually good for bait.

I didn't get a chance to chuck a line in as I was far too busy 'romancing' a lady friend of mine, but if I ever go back I'll be sure to give it a go!

Good luck!!