Unused Irrigation Canals Can They Be Filled In?

Unused irrigation canals can they be filled in?

My wife has land that was a rice field with very small irrigation canals on the edges.

The person who owns the land touching my wife's land would like to fill the canal in and so would my wife.

Would the local Tessabon be helpful for information?

Do you have any flooding problems. if not then probably.

what are you going to use the land for.. maybe better spending a little bit and getting some concrete pipes put in before filling.. I'm presuming they are road ditches.. maybe post a picture.

The local Tessabon, what's that a coffee shop? Or do you mean Tessaban (local government)?

You need to speak with your local irrigation officer - in your local Tessaban office

Edited by BrianCR

Are these canals private or public? If they are the latter, they cannot be filled. The land title deeds would show.

Private canals are dug to catch excess water so that the ricefields can be drained during harvesting time. They can only be seen useful during the draining of the fields, and not when the fields are submerged during the wet season or during the dry season when the fields are parched.

Are these canals private or public? If they are the latter, they cannot be filled. The land title deeds would show.

Private canals are dug to catch excess water so that the ricefields can be drained during harvesting time. They can only be seen useful during the draining of the fields, and not when the fields are submerged during the wet season or during the dry season when the fields are parched.

Oh God, really? Some go over private land.... I don't want to comment any more

First stop would be to talk to your local Poo Yai, they will know how to proceed.

If the Poo Yai is the village headman then we are OK as he came out to see the land when we needed a soil filling permit recently and he said no problem to fill in the irrigation ditch which is on my wife's land.

Of course my wife was not worried from the beginning - but I like to be cautious.

Thanks all - for the helpful comments - much appreciated.

The local Tessabon, what's that a coffee shop? Or do you mean Tessaban (local government)?

You need to speak with your local irrigation officer - in your local Tessaban office

Yes, exactly they are in competition with Starbucks...

But seriously I am starting to learn how important the Tessaban can be.

Also at the local level both village and Tessaban elected officials seem to be quite important. As in they sign off on permits of all sorts.

Before this I have always lived in the city and never had contact with local officials.