Smoke Free Scotland

game4shame

for anyone who cares, a ban on smoking in all enclosed public spaces was brought into force yesterday (Sunday 26/03/06) in Scotland.

a column featuring first minister Jack McConnell below.

incidentally, police cars arent classed as enclosed public spaces.

so, if you're freezing your balls off smoking outside a pub, chin a copper, get lifted, then enjoy your pint and ciggy in the comfort of the bacon bus!! :D (ask them to spare the handcuffs - you'll need your hands for cigarettes and alcohol :o )

Smoking ban problems 'expected'

Jack McConnell said enforcement should have a light touch at first

The first minister expects the early days of Scotland's smoking ban to be fraught with problems.

Jack McConnell has urged officers enforcing the ban to go softly at first - advising and warning - rather than slapping down fines.

He said he expected the ban would bed down, due to widespread public support.

Mr McConnell stressed that the ban was law and would be enforced if necessary. Smoking in enclosed public spaces will be banned from 0600 BST on Sunday.

The Scottish Executive is providing councils with more than £6m over three years to help enforce the ban, including recruiting additional environmental health officers.

Pubs and other businesses allowing smokers to flout the ban or not displaying warning notices in no-smoking premises face fixed penalty fines of £200, while individuals could be hit with £50 fines for lighting up indoors.

A failure to pay could result in prosecution and a £2,500 fine.

Mr McConnell said he had "no doubt" some people would find it difficult, initially, to co-operate.

He said: "I hope they will find quickly that this change is a good change, that it is in the interests of Scotland and it is in their interests as well.

"But we will need to be tolerant of the fact that people are going to have different views in the early days.

"I hope that those who enforce it will be sensitive of that."

The first minister said that the experience of the Republic of Ireland and New York was that the ban would be "self-enforcing".

Mr McConnell added: "I think those who are enforcing should ensure, at least in the early days, that they don't provoke situations that are unnecessary.

"It's important that we bring public opinion with us, that we move the national consensus on.

"I think there's an increased understanding in Scotland that this is the right thing for our country."

Dont think it will change much unless they also serve food.

that would be the sensible option - a ban on smoking in food-serving pubs only or a balance between smoking and non-smoking pubs, but its a comprehensive ban mate. :D

The councils are employing smoking officers to police the ban!! :D

I thought it would never work but apparently it's being adhered to.........

.......by the smokers that are still going to the pub that is. :o

when the boozers start going out of business they might re-consider. :D

but if it stays, in the long run it will benefit the nations health. generations to come will take it for granted.

the jury's still out. :D

Edited by game4shame

Still not convinced it will work. Especailly in the old man pubs.

correct, time will tell I suppose. :o

Ive not actually been out to a boozer since the ban kicked in. Ill let you know how I get on. :D

that stage of a drinking session, when a ciggy is chained every 15 mins or so could prove pretty awkward!! :D

the body will thank me for cutting down the smokes in the long run. :D

Edited by game4shame

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to the boozer the other night for the first time since the smoking ban kicked in. Here's a brief report:

The amount of drinkers is roughly the same as pre-smoking ban and I didn't hear any moaning about having to smoke outside.

I smoked about 3 ciggies compared to approx 10 + passive smoking pre-ban. The ciggies I smoked were enjoyable and seemed 'necessary' ie the pointless pissed chain-smoking is gone.

My clothes didn't stink and my airways seemed reasonably clear in the morning!

on the down side:

The smell of smoke has been replaced by vinegar, farts and BO.

All in all though, it's a surprising thumbs up from me. :o