How Bad Are The Sandflies On Koh Chang, Kood And Mak?

wellred

Been reading that they are a bit of an issue on all 3 islands. The downside to having too much nature I guess.

Are there any beaches in particular where resorts are known to rake the sand? I was planning on white sand beach on chang but hadn't really looked into the other islands yet.

Do a Google search. Many sand flies on Koh Muk, wife & I were badly bitten, sorry cannot remember the name of the beach, but many reports on travel sites, same for Koh Kood. Never been bitten on White Sands, but have on another beach on Koh Chang.

Their are some TV members who live on Koh Chang, hopefully they can give you a detailed reply.

I always take non drowsy anti hestamine tablets with me when I travel in Asia.

Edited by simple1

Ok thanks. I usually do not use any deet or chemical repellent. I've always got by on anti inspect patches which I think have vitamin b. not sure if that will help for these.

If its as bad as you say then I think I'll have to give koh chang a swerve in favour of somewhere in the south. Shame really as I was looking forward to there.

There are many type of sand flies all over Koh Chang. Try to avoid shaded area and do not go out around 6pm without having spread some cream repellant.

Does not matter how hard you try, you will be bitten. Just be ready, have some medecine, or do what we do here, just try to avoid the evening time, do not forget your cream, and if there are too many in an area, go elsewhere.

I have seen some very curious type of mosquitoes, with zebra white and black wings... stay away from these, they bite very hard.

There are many insect in Koh Chang. It is the Jungle, at lunch time everyone have the right to eat. The risk to get a nasty sickness from them is very low. You probably have more chance to get stroke by a lightning.

Enjoy the nature... sand flies will not give you cancer, or any of the crap western food disease, it is actually safer here than in a big western city.

(beware of the strait dogs... they bite stronger than flies)

Edited by nikkoid66
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...