Welcome Gecko Books

cdnvic

We'd like to thank Gecko Books for joining us as our Chiang Mai forum sponsor. :D

I know they've saved me from bordom more than a few times when I was crying out for something other than the Nation to read. :o

Glad to have you aboard :D

Thaivisa Staff

Thanks Ajarn. Thanks guys.

Gecko Books is most proud to be associated with Thai Visa, the premier web site for information on Thailand and South East Asia. :o

George

When do you plan to have your website up and running? Will it be possible to browse titles and order online, would be very useful for some of us out in the sticks.

Thanks Ajarn. Thanks guys.

Gecko Books is most proud to be associated with Thai Visa, the premier web site for information on Thailand and South East Asia. :o

George

When do you plan to have your website up and running? Will it be possible to browse titles and order online, would be very useful for some of us out in the sticks.

Our website should up within the next month. We are working on it at the moment.

We are also in the process of putting all of our titles on-line for customers to browse, but with something like 100,000 books in stock and more arriving every day, I can't guess how long it will be before that part of the website is ready.

As far as ordering online goes, that is something that we will have to consider. My main interest is in making sure that Chiang Mai has great, well-stocked bookstores for walk in customers, but if we continue to grow as we have been, eventually, we should be able to handle Internet requests as well.

George

Edited by geckobooksguy

Off hand what are your price ranges?

Our cheapest books are in the 10-20 baht range, but they usually not well known titles or not in very good condition. We also have other "bargain books" that would be something like older titles by people like John Grisham or John Sandford or one hit wonders by authors who did well once but were never heard of again. These run 40-60 baht.

Our general fiction section has authors like Grisham, Clancy, Ian Rankin, Andy McNab for something like 100 to 200 baht depending on when they were published and how hard to get they are. Brand new titles in perfect condition can be a little more.

The very popular "backpacker favorites" like Catch 22 and the nicer looking, more popular books on history, philosophy and science tend to be from 150-300 baht if they are in good condition and books about Asia can range from 100 baht to 800 baht depending on their original prices and condition. Usually only expensive coffee table books are above 400 baht.

We also carry a small selection of the most popular/newer titles as selected new books just to make sure that we have them in stock for customers who don't mind paying full price. They are the same prices as Asia Books.

Books in Chiang Mai tend to be a little more expensive than Pattaya, but the selection is much better.

George – It’s great to see your advertisement within the forum, also, splendid contrasting graphics makes your banner really standout.

I wish you success in your campaign to bring forum browsers and contributors into your shop, and feel you made a very innovative marketing step in the right direction. I hope other local businesses follow your lead.

Keep up your high standards, good service and reasonable prices!

Hi George,

glad to hear a sucess story... three branches in CM already.. well done, I had (somehow) never heard of the name before... so thats definatley 1 new customer your advert has attracted :D

My Wife has 4 second hand books for sale at her restaurant in Hang Dong (or is it 5?)... suppose that makes us competitors :o:D

Seriously the VERY BEST OF LUCK... and well done for seeing the potential of TV as an excellent medium on which to promote yourselves

TP

The banner is just temporary. It is something that TV's art department threw together quickly from one of my old magazine ads. I like it, but the map is too small.

I want to get rid of the small map when we connect the banner to our new web-site. If you click on the map on the Gecko Books web-site it gets really big and - eventually - you will be able so search the complete inventory of titles for all three stores as well.

For now, the main branch has the biggest selection. Just look for where Thapae Road meets Thapae Gate in front of Starbucks. Thapae Gate is a main landmark. There is a small soi with a yellow and black Gecko Books sign a little to the right of the front of Starbucks and we are right around that corner. :o

George

Edited by geckobooksguy

And love your music, George.

Have been getting my books from Gecko's for years -- and always enjoy your 'folk' selections playing in the background (at least at your main store).

Wish you had those CDs available for sale.....................

Looks like I have a stronger reason to come to Chaing Mai. I will be up in a few months, and I will certainly be interested in a few books.

Do you have any plans to open a "Chapter" in Bangkok ?