My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

I live on 5 rai of land in rural Ubon. I have 2 great male dogs that guard our property. One is about 2 years old and loves everyone that comes by to visit. Very docile around people, but has a bad habit of hunting all the neighbors chickens. He started by chasing them out of our yard, but now is hunting them in the neighbor's land for fun.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to break this dog of chasing and killing the neighbor's chickens?

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would you want to stop them. I encourage my dogs to kill or chase out anything that comes into my 1 rai backyard at the farm. Mind you, I do have make sure the dogs aren't let out of the yard on their own as the MIL isn't impressed when they kill her ducks or rabbits

I'm not an expert but have always understood that once a dog gets a taste of killing something like that, it's pretty impossible to stop them. Except to build the fence somebody else suggested. I'd fence them anyway for their own protection.

• Like 2

Here is the technique used by a "priest" dog trainer. Put in a large burlap sack, together dog and chicken, hang the bag in the air, and carefully tap with a stick on the dog. The dog will believe that it is the chicken that did it, and he will never again touch a chicken.

• Like 2

Your dog needs training - reinforcement and reward is much more effective than "punishment" as dogs are seldom aware of what they are being punished for.

Many people blame foxes on the death of their chickens ducks etc, but more often than not it is dogs that do the damage.......(foxes often come after around looking for carrion.)

In essence you have to train your dog to come to heel or STOP when you tell them......this is perfectly possible with patience and little treats.

You also want to teach the animal to be calm around chickens - e.i. obeying YOUR commands gets a treat whilst getting excited about the hens will not.

One probem ca be if they can see the chickens all day etc - they just get more and more frustrated and excited by these "sitting ducks" so once they get the opportunity they go crazy - quite literally.

You are obviously a concerned and responsible owner - It's your dog - you are responsible for it and its training and if it causes trouble it is your fault.....so train it. You might want to go to Amazon and download a book on it.

Good point. My dog does go crazy when he sees a chicken to chase. He won't stop for anything until he has it in his mouth. I want to try positive rewards to control him, but I know this will be a monumental task.

The second idea I like is to build a small fenced in pen to keep him in.

Yes, my suggestion is... Chicken alone is not a balanced diet for an adult dog so the chicken should be supplemented with a little rice and vegetables.

Of course it sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise chasing the chickens, so that's good. smile.png

• Like 2

One day its chickens and the next day it might be a child.

I love dogs, but I hate owners that cannot control them.

Fence your yard up, pay the neighbor for every chicken your dog kills, plus interest and start behaving responsible. You know what you need to do !

If I was your neighbor, I would already have fixed the chicken killing issue... They just may take that action soon, so be prepared for what happens and understand why it happened.

As you said and some posters have missed it... You dogs are in their land now....

Point well taken. I did pay the neighbor for the chicken. So far, the neighbors are pretty understanding. I'm very aware of what the neighbors can do, so I want them to know I'm pro-active so they won't have to resort to that.

was taught dog training in the old style of snap and crack, hard core dog training, instant response from the animal to commands from the handler, nothing less accepted.

now i wish i had been trained in canine handling in the modern way of positive reinforcement.

with a livestock killer it is a hard trait to break, in australia if you have a dog which is a threat to livestock its life is generally very short.

i knew a lady who is a far better handler than i ever was, it took her a year of effort to desensitize a dog to chickens.

for the OP, fence a compound for the dog in question, pay damages to the neighbour, and dont complain if it gets out and kills livestock again and the village copper comes round and puts a bullet in it.

had a dog nearby which bit a child, compensation was paid, dog bit another child later, this time the local copper dispatched the dog.

Edited by macksview
  • Like 1

I'd like to borrow your dog to teach my dog!

My land is over run with neighbors filthy, destructive chickens.

They sh*t all over everything, dig up my landscape and vege garden, track mud all over and steal the dog's food.

Why can't Thais confine their chickens in a coop as people do in every other country I have been in?

These filthy birds spread diseases as well as cause damage to property!

The only good chicken is the cooked one on your plate!

Scratch your dog's belly for me and tell him to keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Simple. Fence in your yard and/or get a chain, attach it to his collar and make sure the chain only goes as far as your property line. If anything crosses that line it's fair game to the dog. That'll teach whoever owns those chickens or whatever to keep his shit in check, too.

• Like 2

Simple. Fence in your yard and/or get a chain, attach it to his collar and make sure the chain only goes as far as your property line. If anything crosses that line it's fair game to the dog. That'll teach whoever owns those chickens or whatever to keep his shit in check, too.

Then you have a "mad" dog runing around and jerking its chain, and you can't put anything in the radius of the chain or it'll get entangled.

• Like 1