BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jcb2001

My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

"You don't need to "release" a dog - if you watch dogs in groups anywhere you'll see that once in a group of about six or more their behaviour changes quite dramatically - however they will never be wolves they are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding."

Yes dogs aren't wolves and house cats aren't lions and dolphins aren't whales. Glad we can agree on something.

"You don't need to "release" a dog - if you watch dogs in groups anywhere you'll see that once in a group of about six or more their behaviour changes quite dramatically - however they will never be wolves they are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding."

Yes dogs aren't wolves and house cats aren't lions and dolphins aren't whales. Glad we can agree on something.

You either don't seem to appreciate the point I'm trying to make or you're being facetious? dogs and cats are domesticated animals - dolphins aren't - it would appear your definitions are based on size - this of course is patently nonsense.

I'm merely reiterating your point that yes, dogs will never be wolves. I don't think anybody asserted that dogs would ever be wolves so I'm basically agreeing with you that yes, dogs will never be wolves. Dogs and cats have been selectively bred for thousands of years but if you let one go feral they don't typically remain the cuddly pups we enjoyed in the house. They have been selectively bred but they also depend on decent training by their owners. Without going back through this long thread I'm pretty sure that you have been calling for intensive training of dogs so we seem to be on the same side of the argument.

So in the spirit of agreement, Huzzah!

The origins of the domesticated dog makes a fascinating read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog) but it doesn't really help the O.P. much. To fence his whole property (5 rai) may well be cost prohibitive, fencing off a smaller portion around the house may be an answer but then you've got the pain of opening gates every time you want to access the whole property. From the OP it would seem that it is just one of his two dogs that is the main culprit. The OP may have to seriously consider getting rid of that particular animal no matter how fond he is of it, Better a loved dog given to a good home, than a dead one.

Point well taken. A fence around the whole yard is almost cost prohibited and not a wise investment for me at this time. I am looking at giving the dog away to remote area farmers who really seem to like the dog's demeanor and spirit. Maybe the Thai farmer can handle him better than me.

• Like 1

I used to have the same problem.

I don`t like the use of punishment for training a dog, but I witnessed something that worked.

Our dog used to kill chickens and bring them home. My MIL waited for a good opportunity and put a dead chicken in front of the dog while holding a long thin stick behind her back. At the same time the dog touched the chicken with its nose she gave it a good whack on its butt.

It didn`t happen again.

I didn`t like watching it, but the alternative would be worse. A dog that kills chickens gets killed/poisoned by your neighbours.

But I must say that the solution I read earlier with tying a dead chicken around the dog`s neck, sounds like it could work. And also consider buying a few chickens yourself to keep where the dog lives.