My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

Your dog needs training - reinforcement and reward is much more effective than "punishment" as dogs are seldom aware of what they are being punished for.

Many people blame foxes on the death of their chickens ducks etc, but more often than not it is dogs that do the damage.......(foxes often come after around looking for carrion.)

In essence you have to train your dog to come to heel or STOP when you tell them......this is perfectly possible with patience and little treats.

You also want to teach the animal to be calm around chickens - e.i. obeying YOUR commands gets a treat whilst getting excited about the hens will not.

One probem ca be if they can see the chickens all day etc - they just get more and more frustrated and excited by these "sitting ducks" so once they get the opportunity they go crazy - quite literally.

You are obviously a concerned and responsible owner - It's your dog - you are responsible for it and its training and if it causes trouble it is your fault.....so train it. You might want to go to Amazon and download a book on it.

Good point. My dog does go crazy when he sees a chicken to chase. He won't stop for anything until he has it in his mouth. I want to try positive rewards to control him, but I know this will be a monumental task.

The second idea I like is to build a small fenced in pen to keep him in.

so long as he can see the chickens he will behave like that unless you train him not to....so if he can see the chickens, you'll get behavioural problems unless you train him.....he'll start chasing other stuff too. And at some point he'll breach a fence - that is inevitable - you need a dog that is not bored and obedient. Training - if done correctly - can take remarkably little time.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my dog this to my chickens in the UK ,dogs will be dogs

Nonsense - dogs are what you train them to be!
effort, more effort, and reap the rewards, a well trained dog is a pleasure as a companion,an non-trained dog can be total menace.

one dog i rememember fondly helping someone with, would howl at sirens and thunder,heaps of exposure to recorded sounds that caused upset to the dog,worked and cured the dog of his problem.

Your dog needs training - reinforcement and reward is much more effective than "punishment" as dogs are seldom aware of what they are being punished for.

Many people blame foxes on the death of their chickens ducks etc, but more often than not it is dogs that do the damage.......(foxes often come after around looking for carrion.)

In essence you have to train your dog to come to heel or STOP when you tell them......this is perfectly possible with patience and little treats.

You also want to teach the animal to be calm around chickens - e.i. obeying YOUR commands gets a treat whilst getting excited about the hens will not.

One probem ca be if they can see the chickens all day etc - they just get more and more frustrated and excited by these "sitting ducks" so once they get the opportunity they go crazy - quite literally.

You are obviously a concerned and responsible owner - It's your dog - you are responsible for it and its training and if it causes trouble it is your fault.....so train it. You might want to go to Amazon and download a book on it.

Good point. My dog does go crazy when he sees a chicken to chase. He won't stop for anything until he has it in his mouth. I want to try positive rewards to control him, but I know this will be a monumental task.

The second idea I like is to build a small fenced in pen to keep him in.

so long as he can see the chickens he will behave like that unless you train him not to....so if he can see the chickens, you'll get behavioural problems unless you train him.....he'll start chasing other stuff too. And at some point he'll breach a fence - that is inevitable - you need a dog that is not bored and obedient. Training - if done correctly - can take remarkably little time.
so true,big rewards at the end of it all, sitting around with a dog on a lead,looking at chickens,birds other animals may not sound like fun, but its all about exposure.
  • Like 1

I solved this problem.

A number of years ago a pack of dogs came and killed some 40 chickens of mine overnight. Chickens were fenced in, but the dogs broke down the fence. Dead bodies everywhere.

I paid a young guy 500 Baht/dog.

Cost me 4,500 Baht and stopped the problem. The stupid canines just kept coming back to see if there were more chickens to kill.

Edited by 12DrinkMore
  • Like 2

I solved this problem.

A number of years ago a pack of dogs came and killed some 40 chickens of mine overnight. Chickens were fenced in, but the dogs broke down the fence. Dead bodies everywhere.

I paid a young guy 500 Baht/dog.

Cost me 4,500 Baht and stopped the problem.

country justice,sometimes its the only way
  • Like 1

I raised/trained dogs for some years. One German Shepherd that retrieved any dog (or person) that she perceived as a real threat to the my children, usually the retrieved critter wasn't fit for anything if it was still alive. She was doing the job she was trained to do. I raised hunting dogs, mostly Labs for many years, along with a pointer or two. I had a house mate that had a chicken/goose killing dog in a New Mexico village, rural, very similar to life here. We tried everything, hanging the bird around the neck, dog ate it, hanging it around the neck full of Cayenne pepper, dog ate it, hanging around neck with Cayenne and mace, dog ate it. Dog left the premises permanently. Same problem with a pointer, .22 to the brain pan. The chickens and geese were on their own property, not mine. Like here, chickens and geese were part of the families' food supply. If I hadn't done the dirty deeds, the neighbors would have and would have always held a dangerous grudge against me.

I might add, that while working next to a Indian Pueblo I was given permission to kill all dogs roaming. They were packing up and killing cattle. I got to hunt ducks for free in exchange. I ended the pack problem.

You will not break the dogs once they have gotten a taste. A good fence is your best bet, and you know that your neighbors certainly won't build one, that way if it is in/on your property, fair game and get the frying pan ready. If not a fence, well not a pretty alternative.

Best of luck with this situation.

Edited by sgtsabai
  • Like 2

With a new puppy, & chickens. Of Course the new puppy killed one of his chickens right away. Put the puppy in a kennel & tie the dead chicken around his neck & make him wear it like that during the weekend. It is the only way to break a dog & you will see it wont happen again..

My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

You could simply roast them, slow cook them with potatoes and carrots in a thick gravy, or try coc au vin; there are also some great recipes on-line. Hope these suggestions help.

My grandfather's solutions were tie a dead chicken he has killed onto the dogs back on his shoulders and just leave it there for a few days. If that doesn't stop the habit insert a small piece of lead on one ear.

Then barbeque the dog. If you can't control the dog, you shouldn't have it. I'm surprised the locals haven't taken it upon themselves to do this already. If it happened in my village, it would now be a story of what happened, not a request for assistance in management.

Have to agree with IsaanAussie and sgtsabai. You have a pet with a problem and not a guard dog. He has the taste now and will never change and you will never train him out of it! I do know because I have been training dogs around live stock all my life. You have two choices, Euthanasia or being caged or penned so as the dog cannot roam at all, the second choice has it's problems also.wai.gif

I raised/trained dogs for some years. One German Shepherd that retrieved any dog (or person) that she perceived as a real threat to the my children, usually the retrieved critter wasn't fit for anything if it was still alive. She was doing the job she was trained to do. I raised hunting dogs, mostly Labs for many years, along with a pointer or two. I had a house mate that had a chicken/goose killing dog in a New Mexico village, rural, very similar to life here. We tried everything, hanging the bird around the neck, dog ate it, hanging it around the neck full of Cayenne pepper, dog ate it, hanging around neck with Cayenne and mace, dog ate it. Dog left the premises permanently. Same problem with a pointer, .22 to the brain pan. The chickens and geese were on their own property, not mine. Like here, chickens and geese were part of the families' food supply. If I hadn't done the dirty deeds, the neighbors would have and would have always held a dangerous grudge against me.

I might add, that while working next to a Indian Pueblo I was given permission to kill all dogs roaming. They were packing up and killing cattle. I got to hunt ducks for free in exchange. I ended the pack problem.

You will not break the dogs once they have gotten a taste. A good fence is your best bet, and you know that your neighbors certainly won't build one, that way if it is in/on your property, fair game and get the frying pan ready. If not a fence, well not a pretty alternative.

Best of luck with this situation.

Good. Undisguised logic.

Also, a barbequed dog is very nice with sweet chilli sauce that you get at the 7. About 45Bt per jar.

Failing all else , send the dogs to Sakhon Nakhon .

You have to train dogs not to kill chickens , take them on a lead among chickens with a stick in your other hand .

If you haven't got a secure fence yet , you will need to chain you dogs so they can't roam .

• Like 1

It seems you have become one of those neighbors that people like to complain about.

I love dogs, don't get me wrong, but, you have 2 choices: fence the dog in (proper fence or electric......escape proof is key) or put the dog down. If you do nothing, they will take care the second option for you and I am sure it will not be painless.

An old treatment that works pretty well.

1... Purchase a sacrificial chicken.

2... get hold of the hottest mustard or chili paste available

3...Plaster the chicken with the paste and let it go near the offending dog , he wont forget the lesson in a hurry.

• Like 2

Maybe best you do something like fence your dog in before someone poisons them. Maybethe dead chickentied to the dog may work. The thing is the chickens msy be worth more to your neighbours thsn you think. I would put the dog on a lead and wslk him past the chickens giving him a strong yank and no..but this dhould have been fone ss a puppy. You could aldo get some chickens yourself so he gets used to them. Good luck

• Like 1

One day its chickens and the next day it might be a child.

I love dogs, but I hate owners that cannot control them.

Fence your yard up, pay the neighbor for every chicken your dog kills, plus interest and start behaving responsible. You know what you need to do !

If I was your neighbor, I would already have fixed the chicken killing issue... They just may take that action soon, so be prepared for what happens and understand why it happened.

As you said and some posters have missed it... Your dogs are in their land now....

I am often gobsmacked at some of the posts in this forum but this one really take the cake - as the poster above clearly and wisely has pointed out it is YOUR responsibility.

In life people do one of three things:

1. They lay Blame

2. They Justify

3. They Take Responsibility

I strongly suggest that it is time you start to do the latter.

What on earth makes you think you have the right to let your dog roam free when it is doing this?

• Like 1

if i was your neighboor and your dog would come to kill my livelyhood, your dog might get the vietnamese threatment and you might be next

life is cheap in thailand, never forget, farang

just kidding, shoot your dog

I have nearly two rai and had the same problem with our four golden retrievers.

I fenced the entire parcel of land and they cannot get out.

You might have to consider fencing at least a small portion of your land for this reason.

Even on ones own land dogs should be restrained / restricted (and I am not suggesting CHAINED UP guitar.gif)

Edited by johnlandy

My grandfather's solutions were tie a dead chicken he has killed onto the dogs back on his shoulders and just leave it there for a few days. If that doesn't stop the habit insert a small piece of lead on one ear.

There could be a Thai ghost inside the dog,

find the village wisewoman and tell her your problems,

give her many baht to help the dog.

If this doesn't work there are many farangs who actually make a living as 'behavioural therapists' for dogs and cats,

pay them lots of baht to have long, kind, in-depth disscussions and conversations with your dog.

They are well known for keeping the owners updated on progress and how the little fella is coming along.

If that doesn't work, buy 'chicken puppets' with sharp beaks and have the local children terrorise the dog for a month with them, pay the children lots of baht.

If all that fails at least you will have many new wealthy friends :)

But I like the old-school solution with the dead chicken, that rocks.

Buy a dead chicken off your neighbor... yessssss... pay her lots of baht! :D

Almost nothing you can do. Once they kill they will keep on. If you have a friend in town where they can keep him away from animals ...otherwise put him down before he gets you in real trouble or your neighbors decide to BBQ him...

Yes, one day you will be sleeping after too many beer in the hot sun and your dog will be also suffering a bit of the ol' heat stroke and will unfortunatley think you are a big fat yummy chicken. :D