My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fencing off that area good enough to keep dogs in will be expensive.

Let your dogs have their fun and keep paying the 50 or 100 baht or whatever it is for the chickens. Keeps the dogs fit chasing chickens. Better than them chasing motorbikes as so many do in the villages.

Dogs have very short memories. No good punishing a dog after the event as he doesnt understand what he has done wrong even if you rub his/her nose in it. You need to catch them offending. Trouble is some dogs are smarter than their owners and just learn to not get caught. I had a beautiful doberman for 9 years. Ran her 12 kms every day behind my ute (pick-up) from the time she was 4 months old. After that we would spend quality time at the beach swimming and playing ball. The dog was fulfilled and happy and thus never caused me a moments worry in 9 years....except for once.

My daughter had a pet guinea pig. Every Saturday we would let the guinea pig out to wander freely on the back lawn while its cage was cleaned, hosed out and left to dry. One Saturday while waiting for the cage to dry I went to do the dishes keeping a close eye on the G. Pig and my dog through the kitchen window. My dog had never, ever, shown any interest in the G.Pig before so I never dreamed there would be a problem. As I set about the dishes I would look up every few minutes to check the g. pig had not scampered off...no probs. Dog lazing in the sun on the left side of the yard and GP munching the grass on the right. Every time I looked up they were in the same position. Trouble is 10 minutes later when I went back outside, while both animals seemed like they hadnt moved an inch, the GP was stretched out, unmarked but dead, looking twice its length and covered in slime?? That bloody dog, unbeknownst to me, had been watching me and one time I put my head down must have raced over, swallowed the GP whole so quickly it regurgitated it before racing back to its original position!!

Trouble is a guilty dog cannot comfortably look you in the eye and I knew immediately what had happened. Needless to say the GP had apparently 'died of old age' and was replaced for my daughter that afternoon!

Good luck with whatever you do. I have heard of successes with tieing the dead chicken to the dog, and a farmer friend had success with tieing a dead sheep to a dog. But you usually have to let it rot off the dogs back so it never forgets the association. The dog and chicken in the bag I have known to work too. A friend had a dog who used to raid the rubbish bin at night so put the dog in the bin with the rubbish and bashed hell out of the steel bin with a lump of wood for 1/2 an hour and the dog never offended again...wouldnt go anywhere near a bin. The secret is making the association but with some dogs nothing works. Good luck.

• Like 1

A dog around a farming area that has a penchant for killing livestock gets finished off. Easy. Bye bye. Not, "Oh the poor puppy just needs some educating ...".

Like just about everywhere else there are chickens and dogs all over the place at our village. I asked the missus what happens to dogs who kill chickens. "If the owner doesn't kill it someone else will".

There was a recent debate about dogs that are not kept in and bite people who happen to be walking past. I don't know about urban areas, but in the village, same thing.

I have nearly two rai and had the same problem with our four golden retrievers.

I fenced the entire parcel of land and they cannot get out.

You might have to consider fencing at least a small portion of your land for this reason.

Back home we took the chicken he killed and tied it around his neck where he couldn't get to it and after a couplke weeks or so smelling that dead chicken, that broke him of the habit - put the chicken in a net and drape it around the back of his neck, tie it securley, then tie up the dog, he will learn that he did wrong and never do it again............Okay - here come all the "Cruelty to Animals touchy feely crowd" but if you are taken to court, you could have to pay for the chicken, all the eggs that chicken could have laid, all the babies they would have produced and all their eggs they could have laid on and on and on ............or maybe not.coffee1.gif

I grew up on a farm with dogs and animals.

If the dog has killed a chicken (or something else) then it is now "blooded" and will kill again. You can't stop it other than muzzling it 24/7 or chaining it up. You can try a decent fence that goes at least 1 foot into the ground (they burrow under to get at the lovely fresh meat on the other sized) but on the farm, we just took them out to the back paddock and killed the dog. I've seen dogs go to great lengths to get into chicken coops when blooded. Just easier to kill the dog.

It sounds bad (and it is if was your favorite dog) but if you let the dog live, livestock dies. Where I came from chickens, sheep or cattle were worth more than a dog. One dead dog was the result.

If the dog hasn't yet been blooded there's hope (IE it's not drawn blood on the chickens, just chased them). You need to discourage the chasing of the animals and even more important is to discourage the biting or nipping at the animal. You can probably find good stuff on the net about that.

On our property the other dogs used to 'train' the poor behaving dog. Probably because they saw what happened to their mates if it bit chicken or sheep. Go for that ride an never come home....

I've seen dogs chase chickens for fun but never kill or bite them. If that is the case it just scares the chickens so just discourage it as you would any other bad behavior (not hitting it, but whatever your reward/punishment method is being used just keep doing it until it stops).

Your dog needs training - reinforcement and reward is much more effective than "punishment" as dogs are seldom aware of what they are being punished for.

I've read the same advice in the teaching section.

I'd like to borrow your dog to teach my dog!

My land is over run with neighbors filthy, destructive chickens.

They sh*t all over everything, dig up my landscape and vege garden, track mud all over and steal the dog's food.

Why can't Thais confine their chickens in a coop as people do in every other country I have been in?

These filthy birds spread diseases as well as cause damage to property!

The only good chicken is the cooked one on your plate!

Scratch your dog's belly for me and tell him to keep up the good work!

Can I borrow your dog please?

Yes, my suggestion is... Chicken alone is not a balanced diet for an adult dog so the chicken should be supplemented with a little rice and vegetables.

Of course it sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise chasing the chickens, so that's good. smile.png

a whole chicken is good for the dog, in the wild they do NOT go looking for rice or vegetables. Chicken is a complete meal, protein, calcium, iron etc.

I solved this problem.

A number of years ago a pack of dogs came and killed some 40 chickens of mine overnight. Chickens were fenced in, but the dogs broke down the fence. Dead bodies everywhere.

I paid a young guy 500 Baht/dog.

Cost me 4,500 Baht and stopped the problem. The stupid canines just kept coming back to see if there were more chickens to kill.

Probably some of the most inappropriate advice so far.....this is the sort of action that colonial farmers of the 19th century found to be useless - to their cost.

It seems you have little real "country" knowledge whatsoever.

If you keep chickens and dogs break in - especially in Thailand - killing the dogs will have little or no effect - allthat happens is that other dogs will come to get the chickens - as you have noted in your post they keep coming back.

If your chickens are in a cage then it is up to you to make it predator-proof.....no amount of killing the predators will provide a long term solution........

PS - I'd love to see what a Thai court or police force would make of the ttheory that if an animal is "trespassing" on "your land" you have the right to kill it.....this isn't the States.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I keep turkeys as well as chickens. Turkeys are difficult enough to raise without village dogs killing them. Problem is that dogs require protein to survive, and most Thais simply feed their animals on old stale rice and nothing else. It's not surprising therefore that dogs starved of protein will kill poultry, an easy prey (especially turkeys). I have lost count over the years I have lost to village dogs, I have also lost count of the number of dogs that I have poisoned. I have no compunctions about killing dogs that come onto my property after my birds.

I solved the problem by getting a dog myself. Just a soi dog puppy bitch. At first she would harass the birds, but after being admonished (only by shouting never physically) she now completely ignores them and the poultry are quite happy to scratch around her. Surprisingly she has become protective of my birds, a short while ago a local came accompanied by his dog. My dog ignored the other until such time as it showed interest in my turkeys, then she went for it.

What the answer to the OP's problem is I'm not sure. I would imagine that his pets are fed sufficient protein for their needs. However that's what his dogs are, just pets (maybe good guard dogs, he didn't say) whereas farm animals and birds are worth money, and we all know how much money means in this part of the world.

Getting a dog is not a bad idea - but you are way off on the protein theory.

My neighbor poisons the dogs if they kill there chicken, i have been lucky our 3 dogs have not met there end yet, but if they do because they are eating next doors chickens i will be sad but understand there reason.

• Like 1

My Thai neighbors have two dogs and dozens of chickens. I am always amazed that their dogs seem to just totally ignore the chickens including the youngest chicks who also seem to ignore the dogs. Not sure how the neighbors "trained" these dogs as I would think they would kill at least the chicks as the dogs seem to always be hungry (what dog doesn't?). Maybe the dogs were brought in as pups and trained at very young age...not sure but somehow they manage to live in peace. Actually quite amazing to see.

How the heck can you have dogs running out of your property on to the neighbours land? You MUST have a fence to keep your dogs in your yard or be prepared somone will poison or shoot them

Or exchange it for a piece of plastic and his dog will be meat and its head in front of a restaurant in Nakhon Phanom..-.Beside that, your dog's too old to "train him". Neighbors will feed him and he'll meet Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morison soon.-w00t.gif

post-108180-0-13969800-1370264190_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

My Thai neighbors have two dogs and dozens of chickens. I am always amazed that their dogs seem to just totally ignore the chickens including the youngest chicks who also seem to ignore the dogs. Not sure how the neighbors "trained" these dogs as I would think they would kill at least the chicks as the dogs seem to always be hungry (what dog doesn't?). Maybe the dogs were brought in as pups and trained at very young age...not sure but somehow they manage to live in peace. Actually quite amazing to see.

These dogs were already trained, when they're puppies. They know that they go to Nirvana if they eat them.-bah.gif

Up my way there is a very well known 'dog' restaurant. On the menu. When dogs develop a taste for chickens they often end up there.

I can't stand the chickens either, particularly as my extended family doesn't even eat them.

They breed them for the "fighting cocks". IN other words they're "pets".

If I ever find the one that crows at 3 in the morning, I'll dispose of it myself.

My dog doesn't eat chickens. His mother and one of his brothers both did.

They ended up on the dinner plate.

As he doesn't eat chickens, I have trained him to chase them off my property and that's all.

I believe there is a way to train a smart dog, but like people

there are smart dogs and not so smart ones and up my way if you're not smart , well . . .

you're dead . .

I had this problem once. What I did was train my dog with a mild shock/vibrate collar. How this works is the shock feature on the collar is used once maybe 3 times along with a command (most people say no bad dog??) Once the dog has put together the discomfort and association with chasing the chickens switch to the vibrating feature. This really works it took about 2 days for my dog to be completely over chasing and killing chickens. Regardless where the chickens were hanging around. This also is useful if a dog is a cat killer. The shock is mild and is not harmful to the dog. Mainly it helps to snap them out of thier obsession and let's not forget that it is natural for some dogs to hunt and kill. Cheaper than fencing. The dog is allowed to maintain it's abilty to protect when not fenced in. Good Luck

• Like 1

I'd like to borrow your dog to teach my dog!

My land is over run with neighbors filthy, destructive chickens.

They sh*t all over everything, dig up my landscape and vege garden, track mud all over and steal the dog's food.

Why can't Thais confine their chickens in a coop as people do in every other country I have been in?

These filthy birds spread diseases as well as cause damage to property!

The only good chicken is the cooked one on your plate!

Scratch your dog's belly for me and tell him to keep up the good work!

Can I borrow your dog please?

I'm afraid there is no hope for my dog, "Chocolate" as he has killed several chickens and probably won't stop. I am going to take him to Khong Chiam where he will be welcomed by a farmer and his family. There's no future for the dog here in Ubon. At least he will have a second chance at life.

An old treatment that works pretty well.

1... Purchase a sacrificial chicken.

2... get hold of the hottest mustard or chili paste available

3...Plaster the chicken with the paste and let it go near the offending dog , he wont forget the lesson in a hurry.

tripe!