My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

I solved this problem.

A number of years ago a pack of dogs came and killed some 40 chickens of mine overnight. Chickens were fenced in, but the dogs broke down the fence. Dead bodies everywhere.

I paid a young guy 500 Baht/dog.

Cost me 4,500 Baht and stopped the problem. The stupid canines just kept coming back to see if there were more chickens to kill.

Probably some of the most inappropriate advice so far.....this is the sort of action that colonial farmers of the 19th century found to be useless - to their cost.

It seems you have little real "country" knowledge whatsoever.

If you keep chickens and dogs break in - especially in Thailand - killing the dogs will have little or no effect - allthat happens is that other dogs will come to get the chickens - as you have noted in your post they keep coming back.

If your chickens are in a cage then it is up to you to make it predator-proof.....no amount of killing the predators will provide a long term solution........

PS - I'd love to see what a Thai court or police force would make of the ttheory that if an animal is "trespassing" on "your land" you have the right to kill it.....this isn't the States.

You seem to have missed a number of subsequent posts.

The eradication of a pack of feral of feral dogs did the neighbourhood a favour.

And I really doubt if the Thai police would be at all interested in a few wild dogs that disappeared without trace.

I have had a few other issues with damn dogs when riding my bicycle.

I tried chocolate but it takes too long, so now I have a powerful slingshot. Once the bastards have been hit or lost an eye they don't chase bicycles or motorbikes anymore.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my dog this to my chickens in the UK ,dogs will be dogs

Nonsense - dogs are what you train them to be!

At the moment, I am too busy to spare the time to read all posts so sorry if I repeat.

Train the dog, period.

It takes effort and time.

You can buy an invisible fence as I saw someone suggested but my experience is that it is very hard to maintain the wiring round the property, and yours is big.

You can get a remote trigger for the invisible fence neck shocker and use it to teach the dog to stay on your property, despite any distractions like chickens, cars, kids etc.

BUT - it will all take time and patience.

In my Spanish village, my dog joined another village dog and attacked chickens.

I spent time and trained her not to do it. It took a week or two of intensive training, being together, off site mostly, making our bond strong, then back to the property, nothing was fenced anywhere.

My neighbour just shot his dog.

Make the right choice and good luck.

I've seen this work! Hang a chicken around its neck till the chicken rots and falls off. When this didn't work the dog was destroyed.

I've tried this and it don't work.. just makes them madder about the chickens.. fences, shock collars.. never been able to stop my dog from killing chickens..

Edited by khaowong1

An old treatment that works pretty well.

1... Purchase a sacrificial chicken.

2... get hold of the hottest mustard or chili paste available

3...Plaster the chicken with the paste and let it go near the offending dog , he wont forget the lesson in a hurry.

Try wasibi past around the neck of chickens...

Our dog has the same problem, I'm getting tired of Chicken every Sunday, but as much as I try he won't go after the cows, pity, I've a cracking recipe for Yorkshires I want to try.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'd like to borrow your dog to teach my dog!

My land is over run with neighbors filthy, destructive chickens.

They sh*t all over everything, dig up my landscape and vege garden, track mud all over and steal the dog's food.

Why can't Thais confine their chickens in a coop as people do in every other country I have been in?

These filthy birds spread diseases as well as cause damage to property!

The only good chicken is the cooked one on your plate!

Scratch your dog's belly for me and tell him to keep up the good work!

Sounds like Thais are no worse controlling their chickens than farangs are controlling their dogs...... sadly the dogs are the noisier and more destructive of the two.

They also are known to be involved with a disease or two.

The OP is fortunate that his Thai neighbours are understanding, a policeman near me got his gun out and shot a neighbour's dog dead when it chased his kids on their bike.

• Like 1

I can only say this: If you care about your dogs, you had better contain them or they WILL be dead. Thai villagers (and me) will only put up with such depredations so long before taking proactive measures. I killed every single wat dog a couple years ago. Another villager killed off most of the regenerated population several months ago. Now the new dogs have killed all the egg laying chickens of another neighbor I am quite sure they are not long for this world (the wat dogs, that is; the chickens are all dead).

By the way, in the latest assault on my neighbors chickens, they were cooped. The pack of dogs dug under and broke in, then going on a blood thirsty rampage inside. You could argue that the chicken owner should have trenched and put his wire into the ground, but come on, the dogs were trespassing to begin with. Westerners may coop their chickens and in most places in the US, it is perfectly legal to shoot any dogs killing your chickens on your land, cooped or not.

We put up a bamboo fence around our land to try to keep these dogs out, but the push their noses between the slats and force their way in. We fix it, they do it again. Repeat.

One was to handle it is to contain your own dogs, them prepare some chicken marinated in ethylene glycol (anti-freeze, the old style -- not synthetic, it will show the ingredient on the label, you want at least 50%), and put it out for them on YOUR land. If they trespass to eat it, oh well, bye, bye.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Chickens are dirty smelly kreaturs. I don't want them living next to me either. We got a wall between us and the neighbouts but the dog kills any that enter the property. I think I will go for knocking down the wall to be more friendly with neighbours.'

dirty chicken fecklers

• Like 1

dogs killing chickens is one thing, dogs chasing motorcycles is even worse. whenever I wait at the fence when they get back they KNOW they did wrong. but they will still do it.
you can pay for the chickens your dog killed but best is just to build a good fence. just make a stone wall, if you use wire fence they can get through it by digging a bit and pushing through. unless you let the wire fence go into the ground.

specially when there is a female dog on heat you'll notice that your fence will be tested. they will do ANYTHING to get out.

I wish you luck with your dogs, specially as farang people will try to get money from you.
I've seen people who just come to collect the dog that killed their chickens or ducks and then they eat the dog. not that I would anybody do that to my dogs.

I have 2 goldens, a Lab and a mix. the first 3 are oke, but the mixed one is very hard to contain as it wasn't mine to train.

I had people complaining about my golden killing ducks. they never came with proof. later my wife saw that their ducks were OFF their land on the land of people behind our house. I've had some words with them too when they came again.
some people can be really annoying till you open your mouth and shut them up.
all silent now and all my dogs are still alive.

just don't let your dogs be a hazard on the road, if people have an accident because of your dog they will come for money for sure. specially when they know its a farangs dog.

• Like 1

Don't know if your dog goes after baby chicks, or full grown... But I can give you advice from old school.... Take the dead bird soak it in kerosene, and tie it around your dogs neck.... Stops them quite quickly.....

Kilosierragiggle.gif

Simple. Fence in your yard and/or get a chain, attach it to his collar and make sure the chain only goes as far as your property line. If anything crosses that line it's fair game to the dog. That'll teach whoever owns those chickens or whatever to keep his shit in check, too.

Anybody that chains their dog might as well put it down. It will put it out of its misery. Like some people already said here, I'm a big dog lover, but dogs are dogs and you can't train your dog to do everything. Your dog really needs to be in a fence. And if it isn't and it's doing this then you can't complain if it ends up dead as well.

And that would be the most cruel thing you could put it through, expecting it to change it's nature as you search for different solutions except the obvious.

• Like 1

I can only say this: If you care about your dogs, you had better contain them or they WILL be dead. Thai villagers (and me) will only put up with such depredations so long before taking proactive measures. I killed every single wat dog a couple years ago. Another villager killed off most of the regenerated population several months ago. Now the new dogs have killed all the egg laying chickens of another neighbor I am quite sure they are not long for this world (the wat dogs, that is; the chickens are all dead).

By the way, in the latest assault on my neighbors chickens, they were cooped. The pack of dogs dug under and broke in, then going on a blood thirsty rampage inside. You could argue that the chicken owner should have trenched and put his wire into the ground, but come on, the dogs were trespassing to begin with. Westerners may coop their chickens and in most places in the US, it is perfectly legal to shoot any dogs killing your chickens on your land, cooped or not.

We put up a bamboo fence around our land to try to keep these dogs out, but the push their noses between the slats and force their way in. We fix it, they do it again. Repeat.

One was to handle it is to contain your own dogs, them prepare some chicken marinated in ethylene glycol (anti-freeze, the old style -- not synthetic, it will show the ingredient on the label, you want at least 50%), and put it out for them on YOUR land. If they trespass to eat it, oh well, bye, bye.

http://p-wai.tarad.com/product-th-713810-3420011-DI+ETHYLENE+GLYCOL+(DEG)+%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%99+%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A5.html

99.8% Made in Thailand too, so its helping the economy.....

• Like 1

I raised/trained dogs for some years. One German Shepherd that retrieved any dog (or person) that she perceived as a real threat to the my children, usually the retrieved critter wasn't fit for anything if it was still alive. She was doing the job she was trained to do. I raised hunting dogs, mostly Labs for many years, along with a pointer or two. I had a house mate that had a chicken/goose killing dog in a New Mexico village, rural, very similar to life here. We tried everything, hanging the bird around the neck, dog ate it, hanging it around the neck full of Cayenne pepper, dog ate it, hanging around neck with Cayenne and mace, dog ate it. Dog left the premises permanently. Same problem with a pointer, .22 to the brain pan. The chickens and geese were on their own property, not mine. Like here, chickens and geese were part of the families' food supply. If I hadn't done the dirty deeds, the neighbors would have and would have always held a dangerous grudge against me.

I might add, that while working next to a Indian Pueblo I was given permission to kill all dogs roaming. They were packing up and killing cattle. I got to hunt ducks for free in exchange. I ended the pack problem.

You will not break the dogs once they have gotten a taste. A good fence is your best bet, and you know that your neighbors certainly won't build one, that way if it is in/on your property, fair game and get the frying pan ready. If not a fence, well not a pretty alternative.

Best of luck with this situation.

Good. Undisguised logic.

Also, a barbequed dog is very nice with sweet chilli sauce that you get at the 7. About 45Bt per jar.

Is German Shepherd one of the more tender and better eating breeds?

Bad behavior of a dog is the responsibility of the owner.

Edited by watcharacters

As someone else pointed out, tie a dead chicken around its neck until it stinks so much the dog will hate the smell of it. I tried it before and it works.

In most western countries you would be prosecuted for this barbaric practice.

dogs killing chickens is one thing, dogs chasing motorcycles is even worse. whenever I wait at the fence when they get back they KNOW they did wrong. but they will still do it.

you can pay for the chickens your dog killed but best is just to build a good fence. just make a stone wall, if you use wire fence they can get through it by digging a bit and pushing through. unless you let the wire fence go into the ground.

specially when there is a female dog on heat you'll notice that your fence will be tested. they will do ANYTHING to get out.

I wish you luck with your dogs, specially as farang people will try to get money from you.

I've seen people who just come to collect the dog that killed their chickens or ducks and then they eat the dog. not that I would anybody do that to my dogs.

I have 2 goldens, a Lab and a mix. the first 3 are oke, but the mixed one is very hard to contain as it wasn't mine to train.

I had people complaining about my golden killing ducks. they never came with proof. later my wife saw that their ducks were OFF their land on the land of people behind our house. I've had some words with them too when they came again.

some people can be really annoying till you open your mouth and shut them up.

all silent now and all my dogs are still alive.

just don't let your dogs be a hazard on the road, if people have an accident because of your dog they will come for money for sure. specially when they know its a farangs dog.

Anthropomorphism - "when they get back they KNOW they did wrong."

don't be silly

The way I see it is this. Your neighbors have an obligation to keep their chickens on their own land, just as you have an obligation to keep your dog/s on your own land.

If their chickens enter, and your dogs kill them, that's unfortunate and their fault for not confining them.

Conversely, if your dogs enter their property, and they kill your dogs, that's also unfortunate, but your fault for not confining them.

Maybe you could share the cost of an adjoining fence, and then you have to only build a fence on another three sides??

It doesn't get any simpler.......to me.

After reading 111 replies, the quoted one seems the best to me. Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Well Fellows I join the "Willyumiii Club" The neighboure's Chickens are a nuisance with my Vegetable Garden. They often fly over the fence to gain entry. My small dog is too lazy/disinterested to care. My only success so far is to restrain them with baited fishing hooks (swollowed) then finish them off with a club prior to prepering them for a variety of free chicken meals. So far over the years ther have been several enquiries re "missing chickens", but - - my land = my chicken!

• Like 2

One thing I would suggest is for the OP to purchase at lest one full season of "The Dog Whisperer". Sit down and watch the entire year and go teach your dogs something new. I have watched the NatGeo show for years and have learned dogs of any age can be taught to obey the owner's wishes. A very good learning experience for me.

Remaining calm and calming the dogs down when something excites them is really quite easy with a little practice. I have described my four golden retrievers as having killed chickens in the past. The 2 meter fence stopped that but on the rare occasion when one or more of them get out the front gate I simply go outside, find them and they follow me home. No whips or chains needed but I will carry a small broom to extend my reach.

I have a good pack but golden retrievers are some of the smarter breeds, with the exception of the idiot third female in our pack. Dumber than a bag of hammers.

I noticed one previous post mentioned the use of a shock collar to get the dog's attention diverted. He is right that it will break their train of thought and you can redirect it but I wonder why he says..."no, bad dog" when he corrects. My wife and stepson talk to our dogs in Thai and I use English so either our dogs are bi-lingual or they don't understand what we are saying in any language. My guess is they don't know or care what we are saying but the tone of voice we use speaks volumes to a dog.

A sharp "hey" works for me.

Catch the "Dog Whisperer" to learn more about your dog.

• Like 2

Well Fellows I join the "Willyumiii Club" The neighboure's Chickens are a nuisance with my Vegetable Garden. They often fly over the fence to gain entry. My small dog is too lazy/disinterested to care. My only success so far is to restrain them with baited fishing hooks (swollowed) then finish them off with a club prior to prepering them for a variety of free chicken meals. So far over the years ther have been several enquiries re "missing chickens", but - - my land = my chicken!

Agree...my land,= my chicken and it's being fed by me! eating my garden and pet food!

Am I ever offered chicken to eat..or any eggs? Never

On occasion, I will corner one, pick him up (cock ) and toss him about 10 meters out into the flooded rice field...they have a fit when you get them wet.

Have considered setting a few rat traps in the garden to snap their necks, but worry about harm to dogs and cats.

A friend soaked rice in insecticide then fed it to the chickens...said not one bird died or showed signs of feeling ill.

Neighbors have close to 100 chickens roaming around....imagine the sound of all those roosters from 4-6 AM every day!

Not reasy for the fish hook method..again, worried abou tharm to the good animals

• Like 1

I've seen this work! Hang a chicken around its neck till the chicken rots and falls off. When this didn't work the dog was destroyed.

I've tried this and it don't work.. just makes them madder about the chickens.. fences, shock collars.. never been able to stop my dog from killing chickens..

Geeesh! What kind of dog do you have?

Yes, my suggestion is... Chicken alone is not a balanced diet for an adult dog so the chicken should be supplemented with a little rice and vegetables.

Of course it sounds like he is getting plenty of exercise chasing the chickens, so that's good. smile.png

a whole chicken is good for the dog, in the wild they do NOT go looking for rice or vegetables. Chicken is a complete meal, protein, calcium, iron etc.

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected.