My Dog Is Chasin&killing Neighbor's Chickens- Any Suggestions

jcb2001

I saw Bookman's 'solution' to his dog killing chickens was a dead chicken hanging around the dog's neck for a few days. The animal welfare people would be paying you a visit if you did that in Australia, Bookman, and I expect that they would in most civilized countries.

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cages, enclosures or fence.......with regards to the dog, these are all means of restraint which in turn is are form of repression effected by

violence or force.

You might want to consider when a cage becomes and enclosure becomes a fence. - there is no black and white definition.

Whatever, they are physically restricting the dog - the argument is that he shouldn’t need restricting because either he doesn’t stray or is unlikely to cause problems when away from the home.

Whatever the case enclosure is a NEGATIVE approach to the problem. Dogs can be quite territorial and will with the owners help create their own natural psychological parameters - this can be a positive thing in the mind of a dog. With the right training it will perceive the edges of your property as its own boundaries. It will remain at home whether or not a costly fence surrounds the place - untraiined dogs will inevitably get out at some point. The fence is damaged, gates are left open and the fiasco begins......

The difference is whether the dog is comfortable inside its OWN territory or imprisoned by its owner

Man, I swear to god, you must be from outer space. A fence is a form of repression? It's violent? I was following this thread, but I'm out of here. It's gone over the deep end. A fence is violent, indeed! Oh sweet jesus! I certainly no do not believe you know anything at all about dogs or canine behavior, Mr. wilcopops. Either that or you are a troll playing the bleeding heart role to the max to bring out rational people like Beb and me. Either way, I've had enough. Bye, bye. And no need to respond Mr. wilcopops; I won't see it.

Cages, enclosures or fence.......with regards to the dog, these are all means of restraint which in turn is are form of repression effected by

violence or force.

You might want to consider when a cage becomes and enclosure becomes a fence. - there is no black and white definition.

Whatever, they are physically restricting the dog - the argument is that he shouldn’t need restricting because either he doesn’t stray or is unlikely to cause problems when away from the home.

Whatever the case enclosure is a NEGATIVE approach to the problem. Dogs can be quite territorial and will with the owners help create their own natural psychological parameters - this can be a positive thing in the mind of a dog. With the right training it will perceive the edges of your property as its own boundaries. It will remain at home whether or not a costly fence surrounds the place - untraiined dogs will inevitably get out at some point. The fence is damaged, gates are left open and the fiasco begins......

The difference is whether the dog is comfortable inside its OWN territory or imprisoned by its owner

Man, I swear to god, you must be from outer space. A fence is a form of repression? It's violent? I was following this thread, but I'm out of here. It's gone over the deep end. A fence is violent, indeed! Oh sweet jesus! I certainly no do not believe you know anything at all about dogs or canine behavior, Mr. wilcopops. Either that or you are a troll playing the bleeding heart role to the max to bring out rational people like Beb and me. Either way, I've had enough. Bye, bye. And no need to respond Mr. wilcopops; I won't see it.

May I suggest rather than launch an ad hominem attack, you read and analyse what I'm saying......basically you have not expounded a single reason but rolled out a lot of cliches without any explanation as why you think that.....of course you probably can't as your post suggests you've never really thought about the matter in depth.

violence or force.

May I suggest rather than launch an ad hominem attack, you read and analyse what I'm saying......basically you have not expounded a single reason but rolled out a lot of cliches without any explanation as why you think that.....of course you probably can't as your post suggests you've never really thought about the matter in depth.

With all due respect, and I really mean that, I don't understand your commitment to allowing dogs to run free and blaming any misbehavior on a lack of training. I'm taking for granted that you must have a great deal of experience in training dogs and letting them run free in cities or villages but to tell you the truth, if you have a method of leaving a dog outside without any barricade and can manage that with no danger of the animal either being hit by a car, attacking other animals, running with a pack of dogs or getting into any of the other kinds of trouble common with loose animals then I strongly suggest you create a training video, post it online, get a TV show with Animal Planet and become a millionaire ten times over. What you evidently have to teach people will make that possible within a year's time.

This debate could go on ad infinitum. Just look at the difficulties the U.K. Government is having at the moment trying to draft a new Dangerous Dogs Act. The bottom line (IMHO) is that many people should never be allowed to own a dog. They are man's best friend yes, but when you take on the RESPONSIBILITY of owning a dog it is up to the owner to ensure that the animal behaves itself, far too many owners abrogate their responsibilities in this regard

Another problem, is that a dog is not just a simple dog. Human intervention in the animals breeding over the millennia have produced thousands of different breeds, many of these breeds have traits and characteristics peculiar to that breed. So many people just see a cute puppy and assume ownership completely disregarding any notion as to what the animal will be like when it reaches maturity. Who has not heard of persons keeping a Great Dane in a two bedroom flat in the inner city or such like.

Yet another problem (IMO) is there are few restrictions on the number of dogs one can own. Certainly here in Thailand there aren''t. Dogs are a PACK animal, and to keep the pack under control is often extremely difficult. I know there are training methods such as keeping tight control of the alpha male etcetera, but these training sessions require lots of time and lots and lots of patience, more so if you have more than one animal such as the OP. Many people just do not have the time and patience required, and therefore *IMO) should not own a dog(s).

If one is not prepared to take measures to control your pets whether it be by fencing or con-straining (I'm not going to get into that argument at this juncture) or by spending the time and effort in controlling the animals behaviour, then (IMO) you should not own those animals, or alternatively start complaining if and when a neighbour takes a shotgun or poisons those animals when they chase and kill his supper.

• Like 1

This debate could go on ad infinitum. Just look at the difficulties the U.K. Government is having at the moment trying to draft a new Dangerous Dogs Act. The bottom line (IMHO) is that many people should never be allowed to own a dog. They are man's best friend yes, but when you take on the RESPONSIBILITY of owning a dog it is up to the owner to ensure that the animal behaves itself, far too many owners abrogate their responsibilities in this regard

Another problem, is that a dog is not just a simple dog. Human intervention in the animals breeding over the millennia have produced thousands of different breeds, many of these breeds have traits and characteristics peculiar to that breed. So many people just see a cute puppy and assume ownership completely disregarding any notion as to what the animal will be like when it reaches maturity. Who has not heard of persons keeping a Great Dane in a two bedroom flat in the inner city or such like.

Yet another problem (IMO) is there are few restrictions on the number of dogs one can own. Certainly here in Thailand there aren''t. Dogs are a PACK animal, and to keep the pack under control is often extremely difficult. I know there are training methods such as keeping tight control of the alpha male etcetera, but these training sessions require lots of time and lots and lots of patience, more so if you have more than one animal such as the OP. Many people just do not have the time and patience required, and therefore *IMO) should not own a dog(s).

If one is not prepared to take measures to control your pets whether it be by fencing or con-straining (I'm not going to get into that argument at this juncture) or by spending the time and effort in controlling the animals behaviour, then (IMO) you should not own those animals, or alternatively start complaining if and when a neighbour takes a shotgun or poisons those animals when they chase and kill his supper.

A very sensible post.

I have posted earlier on this thread about my dogs chasing and killing chickens so I simply fenced all the yard in to stop the problem.

I dislike chaining dogs up but felt comfortable fencing them in. They have 3,000 m2 to roam around in and get their exercise chasing imaginary problems outside the fence. The have comfortable shade in the heat and bad weather and seem happy with their life.

At least no complaints from them so far.

When my dog owning friends try to argue that they don't want to deny their dog its natural existence with training or restraints, I always tell them that the minute they put its food in a bowl they were robbing it of the joy of being a wild animal.

• Like 1

When my dog owning friends try to argue that they don't want to deny their dog its natural existence with training or restraints, I always tell them that the minute they put its food in a bowl they were robbing it of the joy of being a wild animal.

Dogs are not wild animals - they never existed in the wild before they were selectively bred by humans - they are some of the most DOMESTICATED animals on the planet.

If i owned the chickens, & the neighbours dog attaked & killed them, I would talk to the neighbour, ask him to stop his dog's behaviour 1 way or another, if that failed a machete across the back of the neck (the dog) does the trick. problem solved, hopefully the dog will get eaten, (saves digging holes) be just about time for a yen leo after that lot.

regards songhklasid.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Dogs are not wild animals - they never existed in the wild before they were selectively bred by humans - they are some of the most DOMESTICATED animals on the planet.

dogs are not wolves anymore. That is true. But if you release a dog to run with a pack it will go feral pretty quickly. When dogs run in packs they do things that they would never do alone and with their master.

You don't need to "release" a dog - if you watch dogs in groups anywhere you'll see that once in a group of about six or more their behaviour changes quite dramatically - however they will never be wolves they are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding.

• Like 1

The origins of the domesticated dog makes a fascinating read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog) but it doesn't really help the O.P. much. To fence his whole property (5 rai) may well be cost prohibitive, fencing off a smaller portion around the house may be an answer but then you've got the pain of opening gates every time you want to access the whole property. From the OP it would seem that it is just one of his two dogs that is the main culprit. The OP may have to seriously consider getting rid of that particular animal no matter how fond he is of it, Better a loved dog given to a good home, than a dead one.

• Like 1

"You don't need to "release" a dog - if you watch dogs in groups anywhere you'll see that once in a group of about six or more their behaviour changes quite dramatically - however they will never be wolves they are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding."

Yes dogs aren't wolves and house cats aren't lions and dolphins aren't whales. Glad we can agree on something.

"You don't need to "release" a dog - if you watch dogs in groups anywhere you'll see that once in a group of about six or more their behaviour changes quite dramatically - however they will never be wolves they are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding."

Yes dogs aren't wolves and house cats aren't lions and dolphins aren't whales. Glad we can agree on something.

You either don't seem to appreciate the point I'm trying to make or you're being facetious? dogs and cats are domesticated animals - dolphins aren't - it would appear your definitions are based on size - this of course is patently nonsense.

I'm merely reiterating your point that yes, dogs will never be wolves. I don't think anybody asserted that dogs would ever be wolves so I'm basically agreeing with you that yes, dogs will never be wolves. Dogs and cats have been selectively bred for thousands of years but if you let one go feral they don't typically remain the cuddly pups we enjoyed in the house. They have been selectively bred but they also depend on decent training by their owners. Without going back through this long thread I'm pretty sure that you have been calling for intensive training of dogs so we seem to be on the same side of the argument.

So in the spirit of agreement, Huzzah!

The origins of the domesticated dog makes a fascinating read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog) but it doesn't really help the O.P. much. To fence his whole property (5 rai) may well be cost prohibitive, fencing off a smaller portion around the house may be an answer but then you've got the pain of opening gates every time you want to access the whole property. From the OP it would seem that it is just one of his two dogs that is the main culprit. The OP may have to seriously consider getting rid of that particular animal no matter how fond he is of it, Better a loved dog given to a good home, than a dead one.

Point well taken. A fence around the whole yard is almost cost prohibited and not a wise investment for me at this time. I am looking at giving the dog away to remote area farmers who really seem to like the dog's demeanor and spirit. Maybe the Thai farmer can handle him better than me.

• Like 1

I used to have the same problem.

I don`t like the use of punishment for training a dog, but I witnessed something that worked.

Our dog used to kill chickens and bring them home. My MIL waited for a good opportunity and put a dead chicken in front of the dog while holding a long thin stick behind her back. At the same time the dog touched the chicken with its nose she gave it a good whack on its butt.

It didn`t happen again.

I didn`t like watching it, but the alternative would be worse. A dog that kills chickens gets killed/poisoned by your neighbours.

But I must say that the solution I read earlier with tying a dead chicken around the dog`s neck, sounds like it could work. And also consider buying a few chickens yourself to keep where the dog lives.