Canadian Man Weds Roi Et Woman, Offers Dowry Worth Bt100 Million

webfact

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to the value of 10 million includes luxury accommodations in Pattaya necklace gold jewelry.
And a number of cash.
If the 10 Million Baht included and luxury accomodations and jewelry and cash, then they must have another idea about luxury as I have.

AS I wrote, that is translated only with "GOOGLE Translate" without editing, from a Thai source, look the LINK, as Google TR. is not really reliable,

the wording can be (much) different in Thai Original script. LOST IN TRANSLATION is possible!

So, it can be,

"One App.in Pattaya, some jewelry and cash" Easy done with 10 Mill. B. wink.png

What stuns me, is a 10 Milion Baht Gift, Sin Sot for a Lady boy !? blink.png

-j.brain- You lucky Bastard, when 10 Mill. Baht Sin Sot for a Lady Boy, is not a "Luxury!" for you! tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

What people say and what really is the truth are (in Thailand) two completely different things.

I agree with that.

To my Westernised ways I find the talk of money rather distasteful and pathetic. Where I`m from the people who feel the need to boost about money are the people that don’t have any or people with no class.

In my wives village one of the neighbours daughters has just returned from a period in Pattaya working in the boom boom industry. She`s even managed to land an elderly farrang with a few quid who is currently building them a basic home to replace the shack they previously lived it. It amuses me to watch the mother of house sit and proudly proclaim her wealth and how she wants for nothing – many villagers listen on in awe. Only problem is I also talk to the old farrang and know the huge discrepancy between what she says she gets and what she really gets.

I`m also shocked at the lack of shame displayed by what is effectively charity. I`m from a background where wealth is only laudable if you earned it through hard work, not got it given to you by one of your daughters “customers”

Edited by tullynagardy

I quite enjoy seeing the wealth spread around. I see the import of educating the spouse and hope it extends to the children. People seem to think we actually own things, but we are just care givers whilst we are alive. Letting go is a good thing in many ways. Want nothing and you will have everything.

Really, a wealthy man is not really a man with wealth.

Edited by Joe Mamma

Boy oh boy.....If he only knew what he really has done.....I wonder if he would still do it...I vehemently agree with Cardholder...."Just say "NO!!!!" I almost got caught in this web of deceit and treachery but I managed to extricate myself with the help of a 78 year old Thai woman who understood what I was mixed up with and was good enough to advise me on what to do. This is about mutual respect of each other's culture and as such both parties must be 100% upfront and honest. I wish him and her well but he has definitely set a bad example for the farang community.

That depends on your point of view and where you are coming from. There are many people who that is just a drop in the bucket to. You obviously are not one of them nor can you imagine that much wealth in one person.

I see 9 years in a relationship before the final commitment as a good example for falongs. Not sure why you or others don't.wai.gif

Obviously, this guy is an outlier. He could probably drop a few million just on a weekend away, so, 100mil was probably just a weeks work, at the most. His now wife has been spending the last 9 years getting educated and most probably a shining example of a person. She has probably been a great support for him over the years and the money that he gave to her parents would have been worth every satang even if the marriage doesn't last a few hours. I don't think we will hear anything more over it because, you would think, after 9 years they would have a pretty good idea of what they are both about together. Good luck to them.

It's amazing how people take a nice, positive story like this and crap all over it. 9 years they've been together, she's 40 and he's early 50s, he's helping her get an education and helping her family, and people here still talk about her like she's a bar girl and he's some dirty farang roaming the streets of Pattaya.

I'm incredibly thankful for all the great advice I've gotten on these forums, but people like that really irritate me. They have an image of farang and relationships crafted by their own reflection in the mirror.

I think it's the "excess" that many people have an issue with. Nothing wrong with helping the gf/wife's family on a continuous basis as most here do anyway, but 100 million? Seriously?

I'd be more inclined to trust his financial decisions than yours wai2.gif

• Like 1

This news will make a lot of Thai girls feel they did not marry lucky.

Just like the stories of rich farangs building big houses and buying cars and so on that family members and others in the village like to tell the mothers who in turn put presure on the daughters.

What the Canadian guy does with his cash is up to him and wish them the best.

Just see no reason to tell the world about it.

But likely they are not to blame for that.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Wow and my wife wanted nothing just me, good luck to them both i am sure he know's what he is doing and sounds like just a fraction of his wealth.

And fair play to him funding her education and encouraging her to study, most Thai girls would just sit back and count the cash and probably mees up along the way, he has waited over 9 years and i am sure he knows he can trust her now.

What is your statistic "most Thai girls" based on? Your own prejudiced observations of the gutter dwellers that surround you? TV has far too many hyper-generalising racists who don't even realise that's what they are... "I'm just stating the facts as I skew them, mate!", he said to the an on the next barstool... My Thai wife and those of most of my friends have all followed the education path, and were delighted to do so. Those who sat around and did nothing were the exception. I guess my friends have better judgment when it comes to women than the people you know.

You go on about hyper-generalization and do the same about me, and your comment about the gutter dwellers that surround me, well i meet some very wealthy Thai family's on a daily basis and also meet some very poor family's near where i live and i would not call either gutter dwellers.

As for me being Racist, i am Married to a wonderful Thai lady and have a baby boy due soon, if that constitutes a Racist so be it.

I hope she makes good use of the qualifications.

Fair play to her, at least she didn't sit on the floor eating and gambling the last 9years away! ( or maybe that comes later?)

What a rubbish comment.

Why would you think she might turn to gambling after working 9 years to further her education?

Maybe not the stupidest post I've ever seen on TV, but probably ranks in the top three.

• Like 1

It sounds like perhaps all this is compensation to the best manifestation of Thailand this gentleman can find, his Thai wife. Good for her for completing her education. Surely that and a nine-year relationship (all while she must have known about his financial situation) were enough to confirm her commitment to him and her qualities as a person. He's a Chevron Thailand executive, so he probably owes a good part of his wealth to positive experiences in Thailand. Nice to see something positive in the news about a foreigner's life and experiences in the Kingdom.

" No woman is worth more than a fiver unless you are in love with her. Than she costs you everything you've got..." W. S. MAUGHAM.

The effect of inflation is staggering!biggrin.png

At 1,500 baht a barfine, with one a day, 100 million baht is equal to 182 years of daily bar-fining.

This one's costing him over 13,000 baht a shag, at once a day, considering she's actually shaggable for the next 20 years.

ohmy.png

Interesting how retired ho-mongers amuse themselves by sitting around calculating how many baht per shag.

• Like 1

Also amazing how many posters actually have trouble reading.

He didn't give 100 mil in cash for sin sod.

The cash he gave was actually 1.7 mil

Edited by FDog

Yea, 100 million is a bit far out there (read extremely so...)

However you people who complain about sin sot or say you have never seen it although you lived there for countless of years, well, then I guess your world is quite small, or you simply only met extraordinary people.

For the average province people sin sot is standard. 100,000 for engagement and 300,000 for marriage is not uncommon for Thai couples as well. However, in many of the cases those 300,000 in one way or another goes back to the couple, in the form of investment for land, company, business or anything else that will bring them a great future together (as well as make a safer future for the parents).

Don't give me all that crap that only farangs pay sinsot and blablabla. I know Thai couples who struggle, together, to find money for their wedding. This is nothing uncommon, it's culture. Many Thais of the new generation don't necessary like or agree with this culture, but do it for their parents sake.

It's a question of saving your face/name for them,like it or not. That's how they grew up, and to change something that you have grown up with all your life isn't always that easy. And we all know Thais aren't generally as rebellious to their parents as many western nations kids seems to be.

There's also a huge gap between the generations, specially in the Bangkok word. A lot has happened the last 100 years.

If you want to live in Thailand then play the Thai game, just as you expect people to play the European/American/Aussie game when coming here.

That said, don't be stupid. There are still lots of dishonest people who will simply want to take advantage of you because of your fair skin which equals thick wallet. But those people aren't the majority.

Learn to see the difference between Scamming blood-sucking families and culture, then we wouldn't need all the disrespectful replies towards the whole Thai community...

Yea, picture your average Thai male saving up 400k baht. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

You really think Asian people go to the West and play the Western game? clap2.gifcheesy.gif Man have they got you fooled.

Wow and my wife wanted nothing just me, good luck to them both i am sure he know's what he is doing and sounds like just a fraction of his wealth.

And fair play to him funding her education and encouraging her to study, most Thai girls would just sit back and count the cash and probably mees up along the way, he has waited over 9 years and i am sure he knows he can trust her now.

What is your statistic "most Thai girls" based on? Your own prejudiced observations of the gutter dwellers that surround you? TV has far too many hyper-generalising racists who don't even realise that's what they are... "I'm just stating the facts as I skew them, mate!", he said to the an on the next barstool... My Thai wife and those of most of my friends have all followed the education path, and were delighted to do so. Those who sat around and did nothing were the exception. I guess my friends have better judgment when it comes to women than the people you know.

Either you only know and associate with wealthy Bangkok Thais or you're just full of it. The average salary in Thailand is ~13000THB, the last I checked. About half of Thai students drop out after they meet the mandatory minimum years of school (up to about 15 years of age). About half those remaining will attend college and less than half of those that attend college will finish with a college degree. Thailand is poor country. There is a reason for that.

Those who sat around and did nothing were the exception.

The idea of doing "nothing" can be interpreted in a number of different ways, but if you've ever lived in Thailand, you know that things like professional development and qualifications have absolutely nothing to do how, why, where, and when Thais get jobs and what their job responsibilities are. Most professional Thais spend their days chatting with friends on social networking sites or simply over the cubicle walls, eating street food, and waiting to check out. This is readily observable and patently obvious to anyone who has ever lived and worked in the Kingdom (I did for five years). I hate posts like this, not because your heart is in the wrong place, but because you end up blatently misrepresenting facts which are empirically obvious (i.e. I can see it right in front of me every time I step out of the office or the front door of my condo and walk to Tesco Lotus) all in the name of trying to keep people from bad-mouthing Thais. Maybe Thais don't deserve the reputation that the have, but I'd venture to say that stereotypes exist for a reason. It's not like someone just spontaneously decided one day that Americans are culturally insensitive, or the French are rude, or the Japanese ethnically insular and the half of humanity bought into it willy-nilly. Thai women have a reputation, and foreign men are advised to tread lightly for a reason. Do you disagree?

What an absolute pl**ker! News like this does not get out unless leaked. Many very rich Thai people have done this. This was leaked by someone in Issan wanting to gain the publicity and face.

I wonder if she has flat feet and splayed toes as most farmers daughters have:cheesy:

I wish them good luck. Amazing Thailand.

What is wrong with splayed toes? I think nothing is wrong with them and they are not the first, second, or third asset that my eyes are drawn to on a woman. I have to say that if the top three assets are outstanding, I could not care less about the appearance of someones toes.

I personally think it is silly to wear shoes that deform how your toes should naturally look if you don't have to.

There are good people everywhere and it is wrong to characterize every woman from Issan as being a cheesy farmers daughter with feet you find unappealing.

I wish the newly weds a happy life. After nine years, he should know exactly what he is getting into. 100 million baht is a bunch of money, but it is his to do with what he wishes. His wish in this case was to give his mother and father in law very comfortable lives.

Edited by rsokolowski

" Maybe Thais don't deserve the reputation that the have, but I'd venture to say that stereotypes exist for a reason. It's not like someone just spontaneously decided one day that Americans are culturally insensitive, or the French are rude, or the Japanese ethnically insular and the half of humanity bought into it willy-nilly. Thai women have a reputation, and foreign men are advised to tread lightly for a reason."

Wait just one cotton picking minute, Americans are no more culturally insensitive than any other developed nation (Australia, England, Germany). Go to a working class pub in any of these countries and see how much cultural sensitivity most of the patrons express. I would wager that there would not be much difference, and they would not be overflowing with cultural sensitivity.

Either you only know and associate with wealthy Bangkok Thais or you're just full of it. The average salary in Thailand is ~13000THB, the last I checked. About half of Thai students drop out after they meet the mandatory minimum years of school (up to about 15 years of age). About half those remaining will attend college and less than half of those that attend college will finish with a college degree. Thailand is poor country. There is a reason for that.

>Those who sat around and did nothing were the exception.

The idea of doing "nothing" can be interpreted in a number of different ways, but if you've ever lived in Thailand, you know that things like professional development and qualifications have absolutely nothing to do how, why, where, and when Thais get jobs and what their job responsibilities are. Most professional Thais spend their days chatting with friends on social networking sites or simply over the cubicle walls, eating street food, and waiting to check out. This is readily observable and patently obvious to anyone who has ever lived and worked in the Kingdom (I did for five years). I hate posts like this, not because your heart is in the wrong place, but because you end up blatently misrepresenting facts which are empirically obvious (i.e. I can see it right in front of me every time I step out of the office or the front door of my condo and walk to Tesco Lotus) all in the name of trying to keep people from bad-mouthing Thais. Maybe Thais don't deserve the reputation that the have, but I'd venture to say that stereotypes exist for a reason. It's not like someone just spontaneously decided one day that Americans are culturally insensitive, or the French are rude, or the Japanese ethnically insular and the half of humanity bought into it willy-nilly. Thai women have a reputation, and foreign men are advised to tread lightly for a reason. Do you disagree?

Let me guess... you have an advanced degree in Stereotyping.

• Like 1

Wow , Wow & Wow again !! A full 8 PAGES of responses from the TV wizards on this event which is an important worldwide event BECAUSE...?? Let the wizards now tell us .. ! Please do .... Oye! can't wait to hear the WHY's and the improtance of this mundane event ...